Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 514 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

In what way is The Shape of Water relevant? And no it isn’t an Oscar bait movie, it won a bunch of stuff but it’s definitely not traditional bait. Cooper embarrassed himself with ASIB and made his thirst obvious. Driver making a weird small film with Leos Carax is not ‘thirst’ lol, even if he gets in for it. Your argument of ‘this non-Oscar bait movie that ended up winning means that other non-Oscar bait movies are in fact bait’ makes no sense.

What i was trying to said is that the Academy is unpredictable, Parasite was a small indie movie and ended up winning 4 Oscars, With the right campaign like it could end up being a big player at the Oscars

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

What i was trying to said is that the Academy is unpredictable, Parasite was a small indie movie and ended up winning 4 Oscars, With the right campaign like it could end up being a big player at the Oscars

Yes, but a film getting in unpredictably is not the same as it being bait. Shape of Water wasn’t bait. Annette isn’t bait.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I often clash with Driver stans but calling Annette a bait is beyond ridiculous. Carax doesn’t make movies for Oscars and actors who make movies with him don’t expect oscars and/or boxoffice. Same goes for Jarmush and some other directors. Like, does anyone think Johansson worked with Glazer because she wanted the Oscar? LOL.

Also, TLD is a Medieval movie and this genre is very low on awards. Last medieval movie as in historical epic set in those times that won the Oscar was Braveheart. it got ZERO acting nominations. After that, Medieval themed but otherwise fantasy genre LOTR got noms and finally a win. That was it. Scott’s Kingdom of Heaven and Robin Hood got zip and weren’t even well reviewed. So tough to call TLD a bait when awards didn’t have interest in medieval times for over 20 years.

HoG comes the closest to a bait since AMPAS loves quirky takes on historical events lately (WOWS, I Tonya). But it isn’t a bait in a way that something like The Power of the Dog is. HoG is still more of a commercial play essentially.

But anyway, whether Driver gets nominated for something or not, doesn’t change the fact that he’s having a great year with a weirdo indie, a weirdo commercial, a feminist epic and a camp classic. All that adding to his due narrative.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

At the moment I only feel any degree of confidence in Benedict Cumberbatch (assuming <i>The Power of the Dog</i> doesn’t flop). I can see any of the other four I am predicting to get in end up missing or flopping.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

After taking out Adam Driver out of my nominations I’ve been looking for a 0 time nominated newcomer to replace him and have predicted Michael B. Jordan to get in for Journal of Jordan. I think the December release really helps him in time for Oscar voting and could be one of Sony Pictures biggest push in award season. That being said we know nothing about this movie so far so it’s pretty much a no guts no glory prediction. But surely a newcomer will have to be nominated next year?

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

After taking out Adam Driver out of my nominations I’ve been looking for a 0 time nominated newcomer to replace him

May I suggest Oscar Isaac in The Card Counter?

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

May I suggest Oscar Isaac in The Card Counter?

I desperate want a Oscar Isaac first nomination but I don’t know if a Schrader vehicle will be able to push him especially since Schrader is aiming to tank his film’s chances every time he speaks.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

After taking out Adam Driver out of my nominations I’ve been looking for a 0 time nominated newcomer to replace him and have predicted Michael B. Jordan to get in for Journal of Jordan. I think the December release really helps him in time for Oscar voting and could be one of Sony Pictures biggest push in award season. That being said we know nothing about this movie so far so it’s pretty much a no guts no glory prediction. But surely a newcomer will have to be nominated next year?

A Journal for Jordan sounds AWFUL.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

A Journal for Jordan sounds AWFUL.

I agree. But which newcomer will break through?

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

I agree. But which newcomer will break through?

I’m not taking Driver out yet. Not enough to go on from the trailer.

Also he should be winning for Annette but won’t so I’m keeping him in for this one until I see more of it.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Potential newcomer nominees…

Michael B. Jordan
    Peter Dinklage
    Clifton Collins Jr.
    Oscar Isaac
    Caleb Landry Jones
    Simon Rex
    Jamie Dornan
    Cooper Hoffman

I do think that we’ll likely have one newcomer in this category, but it’s really hard to see who can make it in from that lineup. I think Michael B. Jordan has the best chance among them because it feels like his time, but I have such doubts.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I think Michael B. Jordan has the best chance among them because it feels like his time, but I have such doubts.

Precisely the only reason I have Jordan in my predictions but I have such high doubts the film will not land with AMPAS. Next in line I would predict Dinklage but Joe Wright has been such a flop director with that atrocious Woman in the Window release. Cooper Hoffman could get in if Soggy Bottom does well with the Academy too.

Profile picture
    SaulAtreides
    Topics:

Potential newcomer nominees… Michael B. Jordan Peter Dinklage Clifton Collins Jr. Oscar Isaac Caleb Landry Jones Simon Rex Jamie Dornan Cooper Hoffman I do think that we’ll likely have one newcomer in this category, but it’s really hard to see who can make it in from that lineup. I think Michael B. Jordan has the best chance among them because it feels like his time, but I have such doubts.

Isaac is supposedly the standout from Dune, I could see him having a chance of getting in for that if the movie is a hit, Ian McKellen style.

Edit: for supporting though.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

I’m sad The Duke has been pushed back to next year (despite excellent reviews), the pandemic has really affected this movie I guess…Jim Broadbent could have really had an awards comeback of sorts with this role!

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

1- Benedict Cumberbatch – The Power of the Dog
    2- Denzel Washington – The Tragedy of MacBeth
    3- Leonardo DiCaprio – Don’t Look Up
    4- Andrew Garfield – Tick Tick Boom
    5- Joaquin Phoenix – C’mon C’mon

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.