Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 515 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Music Forever
  • Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

The Green Knight isn’t the most accessible film. But Dev Patel is absolutely sensational. An Oscar nod will probably never happen but hopefully he picks up traction at some critics awards.

Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

Why are people taking Driver out? He’s a major part of the movie and is co-lead. The trailer is Gaga focused for obvious marketing reasons. They could in theory drop him to supporting later for category fraud purposes, but I think it’s wrong to assume he’s not a co-lead based on the trailer. He has several big emotional and angry Oscar bait scenes in the film.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Why are people taking Driver out? He’s a major part of the movie and is co-lead. The trailer is Gaga focused for obvious marketing reasons. They could in theory drop him to supporting later for category fraud purposes, but I think it’s wrong to assume he’s not a co-lead based on the trailer. He has several big emotional and angry Oscar bait scenes in the film.

That’s why people are taking him out, because they’re assuming based on the trailer that he doesn’t have as big a role as they thought. But he for sure does – the trailer just has none of the actual plot in it.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

That’s why people are taking him out, because they’re assuming based on the trailer that he doesn’t have as big a role as they thought. But he for sure does – the trailer just has none of the actual plot in it.

I actually took him out cause I think they might move him to supporting. Anyway look at the trailers of films that were nominated for both lead acting categroies and see if you spot the difference between those and House of Gucci.

Profile picture
    Watcher
    Topics:

I actually took him out cause I think they might move him to supporting. Anyway look at the trailers of films that were nominated for both lead acting categroies and see if you spot the difference between those and House of Gucci.

I get that it’s a Gaga heavy marketing campaign, but that’s pretty obviously a tactic rather than a reflection of actual screen time and role in the story of Adam’s character. But yeah I’m sure they’ll consider the option to push to supporting if it makes sense in the field. I just wouldn’t take him out yet based on the trailer.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

That’s my point – the trailer doesn’t actually say anything about his role, there are no actual scenes in it (presumably because it isn’t finished) and that’s why people are taking him out or moving him to supporting. He’s not supporting – the film has significantly beefed up Gaga’s role (making her the narrator) but the book is about Maurizio.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Was it confirmed that A24 doesn’t plan to do much with The Humans or still a rumour? Seems unusual that they wouldn’t want to build on Yeun’s run last year.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I’d be surprised if Driver was moved to supporting for HoG cause they will want to have Leto in there unchallenged.  Transformation is being buzzed about since the trailer dropped and that’s exactly a kind of role that AMPAS loves in supporting – unrecognizable OTT scene stealer.  Also, it isn’t like MGM has someone else to push in Lead, right?

That said I’m most confident in Cumberbatch (baity baity) and Smith (crowd pleaser, real life figure). Will see about the rest.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Was it confirmed that A24 doesn’t plan to do much with The Humans or still a rumour? Seems unusual that they wouldn’t want to build on Yeun’s run last year.

Unless they changed it from the play, Yeun’s role is not a big deal and he is Supporting.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Category placement =/= nomination. I’ve no clue who Gucci people were except photos comparing Gaga to Patrizia. I’m just saying that Leto is a stronger candidate for supporting and Driver so why split the support on 2 or 3 if they push Paccino too?  I’d say Leto is definitely in in supporting. Looks great.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Category placement =/= nomination. I’ve no clue who Gucci people were except photos comparing Gaga to Patrizia. I’m just saying that Leto is a stronger candidate for supporting and Driver so why split the support on 2 or 3 if they push Paccino too? I’d say Leto is definitely in in supporting. Looks great.

The person above (schmids) I’m pretty sure has read the book? So unless part of Gaga being bumped into Lead involves her being given some of Driver’s material them saying it’s about Driver’s character is enough for me to keep him in Lead for now. And you’re right – why would they campaign their male lead in Supporting when they have Leto, Pacino and Irons there already?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

It’s impossible for Driver to be a non-factor in those movies since he has a pivotal role in both. You can argue that he’s gonna suck or that neither role is awards friendly or that everyone will upstage him but non-factor? That’s Poe Dameron-like role, a total marginal that you can remove and nobody would notice. You can’t remove Maurizio or TLD guy.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

1. Will Smith (King Richard)

2. Benedict Cumberbatch (The Power of The Dog)

3. Leonardo DiCaprio (Don’t Look Up)

4. Denzel Washington (The Tragedy of Macbeth)

5. Adam Driver (Annette/House of Gucci)

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.