Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 515 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
fefface
kaziz
Music Forever
  • Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

1. Benedict Cumberbatch, The Power of the Dog
    2. Adam Driver, House of Gucci
    3. Denzel Washington, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. Leonardo DiCaprio, Don’t Look Up
    5. Christian Bale, Canterbury Glass

6. Bradley Cooper, Nightmare Alley
    7. Andrew Garfield, Tick, Tick… Boom
    8. Josh O’Connor, Mothering Sunday
    9. Will Smith, King Richard
    10. Justin Chon, Blue Bayou

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

LOL at him predicting Stillwater. As for Annette, I think we all know it’s going to be polarising (the one way Carax could have made his films more so is adding the sung-through musical factor, lol) which is why I think those people who do have it in predictions only have Driver and maybe Song. It is going to be a love-it-or-hate-it movie, nothing in-between. It also, based on some things that have been said, involves potentially quite explicit sex scenes, which while not surprising for anyone familiar with Carax, makes it even more of an outlier.

A few early French reviews are out and I would say the response is mixed-to-positive so far but very early days. One reviewer loathed it but spent most of the review discussing how he hates all Carax’ work so not too much of a surprise.

So far Driver is getting raved.

Profile picture
    ricardo505
    Topics:

I have a bad feeling that Adam Driver is the new Amy Adams

EDIT: Hopefully this comment won’t age very well.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Harmen Moes
    Topics:

I have House of Gucci as that “had Oscar buzz” movie that is a dud, mainly critically like Hillbilly Elegy. Scott needs to get the tone exactly right for this thing to even be decent imo. I’m more confident in Driver getting in for Annette.

Is Adam Driver the Antonio Banderas for this year with Annette?

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

The full schedule is already on the website

Thanks, I checked and Stillwater’s premiere is on July 8. Damon’s also doing a master class at the festival on July 9 where he talks about his career. Jodie Foster and Isabelle Huppert are also doing master classes.

Profile picture
    vinny
    Topics:

Is Adam Driver the Antonio Banderas for this year with Annette?

Maybe. I feel like I had Banderas locked in way early but a lot of people were “surprised” by the nom (not on here BUT a lot of peoplehad no clue he had a movie out apparantly).

Profile picture
    Film expert
    Topics:

Can’t help but laugh at people predicting Annette getting any Oscar nominations, it’s as far from Academy’s cup of tea as possible.

Not in milion years.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Can’t help but laugh at people predicting Annette getting any Oscar nominations, it’s as far from Academy’s cup of tea as possible. Not in milion years.

These are the same people who decided four years ago to give Picture and Directing to a movie in which a naked deaf woman had sex with an amphibian fish man instead of Dunkirk.

I’m sure they will be fine with this.

Profile picture
    Film expert
    Topics:

Comparing Guillermo del Toro to Leos Carax in terms of being Academy friendly is a pure delusion.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    sarahvsmovies
    Topics:

Possibly. I think since he has 3 big films coming out, he has a very good chance to get in for something, but I feel Gucci will be his weakest performance (and film) and The Last Duel mainly has buzz around Comer so that leaves Annette. Or he could just be shut out completely since Annette doesn’t seem accessible at all.

I think that if he lands a nomination it will be Gucci, with Annette helping elevate his narrative even if Gucci will be the weaker performance. So a nom for Gucci becomes a kind of “also” nom for Annette. I would say TLD could do the same for him as well…but I still think TLD is going to critically flop at this point. I’ve just never seen the confidence in that film.

Or, as you said, Gucci misses and there’s a chance he doesn’t get in at all. I’d think momentum for Annette as the nom would be difficult to keep up with the early August release/probable weird factor.

Like someone said, all the consensus frontrunner predictions here make perfect sense, but I’m bored honestly. I hope the race is much more interesting than predictions now. It would be kind of fun to see even a few of the big frontrunners miss, just so things are a little spicy. Leo, BCoop, Driver, etc. will all probably be back next year anyway.

Profile picture
    Arman Saxena
    Topics:

When do y’all think the Annette reviews will come in online from the major American critics? Central Time?

EDIT: I think it should be around 5 CST

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I think that if he lands a nomination it will be Gucci, with Annette helping elevate his narrative even if Gucci will be the weaker performance. So a nom for Gucci becomes a kind of “also” nom for Annette. I would say TLD could do the same for him as well…but I still think TLD is going to critically flop at this point. I’ve just never seen the confidence in that film. Or, as you said, Gucci misses and there’s a chance he doesn’t get in at all. I’d think momentum for Annette as the nom would be difficult to keep up with the early August release/probable weird factor. Like someone said, all the consensus frontrunner predictions here make perfect sense, but I’m bored honestly. I hope the race is much more interesting than predictions now. It would be kind of fun to see even a few of the big frontrunners miss, just so things are a little spicy. Leo, BCoop, Driver, etc. will all probably be back next year anyway.

This is the only reasonable post. Annette is going to be evicerated judging by murmurs and that was expected. Too out there, hard to pull off. TLD is a write-off with no promotion whatsoever, Actress THread with Comer dreams is going to look like SNL in retrospect So Gucci is the only valid option but likely is going to be a commercial play rather than an awards one save for Gaga who is more likely to get in.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

When do y’all think the Annette reviews will come in online from the major American critics? Central Time? EDIT: I think it should be around 5 CST

If I’m not mistaken, the reviews for OUATIH from Cannes came straight after the premiere back in 2019. The Annette reviews should be out as soon as the film ends.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actor’ is closed to new replies.