Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 12)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 12)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 517 total)
Created
11 months ago
Last Reply
11 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
wolfali
Piper Halliwell
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

This year isn’t crowded or competitive like some of us are saying. It’s the same eight persons fighting for the five spots

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

to call it rave everyone should be talking about how good she is, how undeniable she is. in a film w 58 metascore being the glue is not something so hard to do for a decent actor. if you want someone to be undeniable in a mediocre to bad film they have to be the headlines, have to have some sort of narrative that can keep their buzz going which she so clearly lacks rn

At no point do I say or imply she is being raved. 😉 I apologise if it wasn’t clear from my post. I just take issue with undermining the reception here when some people have been rightfully called out for overstating it.

Profile picture
    hopelesstar
    Topics:

I would like to clarify I’m not saying she is raved. The product around her is holding her back from that to be true. But it is equally false to say she has slightly positive reviews when clearly even the strongest haters of the film have nothing but praise for Comer.

Some users have had a clear bias about her so it’s not surprising they would say that.

At least that takes her out of leading race for good with slim chance of supporting nom depending on how the general audience reacts.

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Who even said she was a household name.

Lots of people here? It’s funny how y’all acting like you weren’t saying for months she was #1 thanks to Killing Eve and Free Guy, lmfaooo.

Please, the revisionism… What are y’all gonna do after Nicole Kidman fails to get a nomination too? Deny that as well?

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

universally acclaimed and there are 10 reviews in total

Was that not true for other movies from Venice too as well lol? I did not see y’all having an issue then but whatever.

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Can’t wait until Jodie Comer is OUT. If Claire Foy didn’t happen, she won’t either.

I have nothing against her. I think people are overrating how she’s the new “IT girl” when she’s nothing of the sort. Of course she’s talented, but I guarantee you that Hollywood isn’t desperate to throw all the awards at her right now. She’s not Phoebe Waller-Bridge. Claire Foy was at the same position some years ago, and her resumé was better. So, yeah… I don’t think she’s happening. Of course she will be good in The Last Duel, but she needs more than that. And the “exposure” from Free Guy (lol) isn’t enough. I could be wrong tho, but that’s how I feel.

I’ll quote myself because I can. 🙂

Profile picture
    Gajo
    Topics:

Some users have had a clear bias about her so it’s not surprising they would say that.

I can see that lol. It’s usually those that have been pushing a single favourite sight unseen so I understand.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

universally acclaimed and there are 10 reviews in total

Are they all logged on MC? 10 reviews is quite a bit actually. TPOTD has 14 and apart from Brian Tallerico at RogerEbert.com (and he’s already tweeted that it’s brilliant etc etc), that covers pretty much all the ones that review right after a festival anyway. Publications like NYT and the New Yorker have a rule to wait till public release (which is probably why they often have divergent takes that make no impact except maybe on the writers branch, but still…too late).

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I like Jodie but #MeToo Rashomon is going to have to start getting better reviews from here on out to give Jodie her best chance at a nomination.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Honestly you could say the same about Caitriona Balfe: she’s singled out in the reviews, but there are no raves (but with better reception for the movie from 6 reviews so far). The rave reviews are for Stewart and to a letter extent for Colman.

Comer in my opinion has to go supporting if she wants to have a chance at a nomination. This race is too competitive for somebody with too little screen time in a badly-reviewed movie. And even there she’s at risk at missing (especially when <i>Nightmare Alley</i> ladies hit later this year). It’s sad, because I love her work in <i>Killing Eve</i>, but that’s the truth.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

#MeToo Rashomon

That’s not as sick of a burn as it might sound tbh lol. I WISH.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Now let’s talk about Lady Gaga. I think it’s funny how some people here (probably the majority) are so nasty towards her. Some people even mocked her medical conditions some days ago.

With that being said, I genuinely think she’s happening. She’s probably the biggest superstar of this race, she gave the Oscar the most viral moment of the last few years (a performance with almost 500 million views on YouTube with the name “Live From The Oscars” right in front of it), and she has 3 nominations already.

It won’t matter if Gucci gets panned or her perfomance is just okay. Some people get a nomination with just okay acting abilities and the Academy won’t miss the opportunity to have someone like LADY GAGA at the ceremony. Cry about it, insult everyone or talk endlesss amount of shit, but the Oscars need people like her and the Academy clearly understands that kind of politics. It’s one of the reasons why Jennifer Lawrence got so many nominations in such a short period of time (key: one of the reasons).

Lady Gaga will happen. And yeah, I could be wrong, but that’s how I feel. Politics, everyone.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Honestly you could say the same about Caitriona Balfe: she’s singled out in the reviews, but there are no raves (but with better reception for the movie from 6 reviews so far). The rave reviews are for Stewart and to a letter extent for Colman.

Comer in my opinion has to go supporting if she wants to have a chance at a nomination. This race is too competitive for somebody with too little screen time in a badly-reviewed movie. And even there she’s at risk at missing (especially when <i>Nightmare Alley</i> ladies hit later this year). It’s sad, because I love her work in <i>Killing Eve</i>, but that’s the truth.

BALFE could probably get in in supporting. I’d go so far as to say she’d be a lock and they SHOULD do that if it means letting go of Dench because Dench just isn’t strong enough to hang on while the year’s films keep coming out. Balfe would be. But eh. Probably not gonna happen.

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Now let’s talk about Lady Gaga. I think it’s funny how some people here (probably the majority) are so nasty towards her. Some people even mocked her medical conditions some days ago. With that being said, I genuinely think she’s happening. She’s probably the biggest superstar of this race, she gave the Oscar the most viral moment of the last few years (a performance with almost 500 million views on YouTube with the name “Live From The Oscars” right in front of it), and she has 3 nominations already. It won’t matter if Gucci gets panned or her perfomance is just okay. Some people get a nomination with just okay acting abilities and the Academy won’t miss the opportunity to have someone like LADY GAGA at the ceremony. Cry about it, insult everyone or talk endlesss amount of shit, but the Oscars need people like her and the Academy clearly understands that kind of politics. It’s one of the reasons why Jennifer Lawrence got so many nominations in such a short period of time (key: one of the reasons). Lady Gaga will happen. And yeah, I could be wrong, but that’s how I feel. Politics, everyone.

Agree with overall argument but Gaga still needs the movie to be good in order to make it, 70s range at least + audience success, if it gets panned, she’s not gonna make it especially with the hard competition of this year.

‘The Last Duel’ getting mixed reviews was kind of expected considering the late screen at Venice like other people pointed out.

Comer is not happening.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Now let’s talk about Lady Gaga. I think it’s funny how some people here (probably the majority) are so nasty towards her. Some people even mocked her medical conditions some days ago. With that being said, I genuinely think she’s happening. She’s probably the biggest superstar of this race, she gave the Oscar the most viral moment of the last few years (a performance with almost 500 million views on YouTube with the name “Live From The Oscars” right in front of it), and she has 3 nominations already. It won’t matter if Gucci gets panned or her perfomance is just okay. Some people get a nomination with just okay acting abilities and the Academy won’t miss the opportunity to have someone like LADY GAGA at the ceremony. Cry about it, insult everyone or talk endlesss amount of shit, but the Oscars need people like her and the Academy clearly understands that kind of politics. It’s one of the reasons why Jennifer Lawrence got so many nominations in such a short period of time (key: one of the reasons). Lady Gaga will happen. And yeah, I could be wrong, but that’s how I feel. Politics, everyone.

The hostile comments towards her were totally uncalled for. and no, if the Academy is so desperate trying to make Gaga happens despite how panned the movie or her performance is…. that will rub everyone the wrong way. I know that they dont have the best taste or credibility when it comes to awarding thosw who deserves it but  if they really go that way for Gaga when she got panned…  I dont know…

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 517 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 12)’ is closed to new replies.