Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 14)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 14)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 555 total)
Created
5 days ago
Last Reply
1 day ago
replies
views
users
Piper Halliwell
boredandricho..
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

Part 14 is now open.

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Gaga

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

RIP Jessica Chastain

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Starting off the season strong: Stewart, Cruz, Colman

Fighting for similar slots: Chastain, Hudson, Kidman

Have a hunch about: Tessa Thompson

If they decide to put McDormand here I think there’s a safe spot for her, where I think the likes of Balfe or Blanchett are best going Supporting (the latter especially reminds me of her lead campaign for Benjamin Button to make room for Supporting actresses like Henson/Swinton). Lawrence’s role also seems like less of a player than her past noms given the trailer, but she technically can’t be counted out.

I guess I’m open to Gaga/Gucci’s reception surprising me and being a player here, but we’ll cross that bridge if we get there.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m gonna repost what I wrote in the last thread since it’s about to close

I suppose that if audiences respond positively to Tammy Faye and Chastain’s able to maintain her buzz she can benefit from a Renee Zellweger or Meryl Streep situation. She has strong reviews and pundits hyping her up because of her transformation, and Searchlight will probably campaign her, though not at the expense of Blanchett. And Chastain herself will campaign. But we have to consider the possible BAFTA snub, if the Globes happen this year and if they give her a boost, if SAG is willing to vote for her, etc. And if Kristen really is the Carey Mulligan of this year, then Chastain could just as easily be Viola Davis…

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

part 14 wow

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart and Carey Mulligan aren’t comparable. One of them was in a socially topical crowdpleasing auteur driven indie revenge thriller the other is playing Princess Diana in a high brow period drama. Voters chose to award Promising Young Woman with the auteur behind it, Emerald Fennell. If voters choose to award Spencer it’s not going to be for Pablo Larrain or Steven Knight when Stewart is soaking in all the buzz for the film.

To cut a long story short if Stewart loses it won’t be for the same reasons Mulligan lost.

FYC: Together in all categories (Actress – Sharon Horgan, Actor – James McAvoy, Original Screenplay), Shiva Baby (Adapted Screenplay, Score), CODA (in all categories esp. S. Actor – Troy Kotsur), Zola (S. Actress – Riley Keough), Together Together (Original Screenplay), The Sparks Brothers (Documentary Feature), Summer of Soul (Documentary Feature)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Mid-September predix:
    1. Kristen Stewart, Spencer*
    2. Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter**
    3. Tessa Thompson, Passing***
    4. Penelope Cruz, Parallel Mothers
    5. Caitriona Balfe, Belfast☆☆

6. Cate Blanchett, Nightmare Alley
    7. Nicole Kidman, Being the Ricardos
    8. Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    9. Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
    10. Jennifer Hudson, Respect

* I don’t think Kristen is as strong a frontrunner as it seemed just a week ago, but she’s still a frontrunner. I am unsure of Spencer‘s chances in BP now, especially after it went unrewarded at Venice but it can still happen in BP.
    ** The Lost Daughter is arguably closest to BP. I think with 10 slots…it should be a lock right now. The Hand of God was also well-received but The Lost Daughter got a warmer reception at Telluride and still won a prize at Venice, so that’s pretty telling. THOG could still get in ofc.
    *** Poised to make a renewed splash at NYFF, London, Chicago, Mill Valley Film Festivals. Passing is playing EVERYWHERE after TIFF lol. With a re-edited version, it will get a whole new spate of reviews, which are already very very high. Potential BP player.
    ☆ Cruz seems oddly vulnerable to me but she’s probably in. She did win Volpi & she’s a powerhouse at the Oscars, but she’s missed before & she was the frontrunner for Volpi at the start because that was the only European award she hadn’t won before.
    ☆☆ BP nominee, but (ugh) Belfast doesn’t seem super strong to me with acting players, save for Hinds. Vulnerable but could be less vulnerable than Cruz if the film keeps getting stronger.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    The Oscarguy
    Topics:

I’m so sorry, but Jessica Chastain is absolutely getting nominated and could even win.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart and Carey Mulligan aren’t comparable. One of them was in a socially topical crowdpleasing auteur driven indie revenge thriller the other is playing Princess Diana in a high brow period drama. Voters chose to award Promising Young Woman with the auteur behind it, Emerald Fennell. If voters choose to award Spencer it’s not going to be for Pablo Larrain or Steven Knight when Stewart is soaking in all the buzz for the film. To cut a long story short if Stewart loses it won’t be for the same reasons Mulligan lost.

They already started with the illogical analogies? Then, they’ll say it’s the “curse of the young blonde characters”

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The Carey Mulligan comparisons make me think Stewart is gonna give my favorite performance of the year lol

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

I’m so sorry, but Jessica Chastain is absolutely getting nominated and could even win.

in a weaker year yes. in a year like this not so possible but we will see

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart and Carey Mulligan aren’t comparable. One of them was in a socially topical crowdpleasing auteur driven indie revenge thriller the other is playing Princess Diana in a high brow period drama. Voters chose to award Promising Young Woman with the auteur behind it, Emerald Fennell. If voters choose to award Spencer it’s not going to be for Pablo Larrain or Steven Knight when Stewart is soaking in all the buzz for the film. To cut a long story short if Stewart loses it won’t be for the same reasons Mulligan lost.

Promising Young Woman wasn’t a crowd pleaser. It flopped hard with audiences. I don’t care if there was covid-19 or not. Lol

Laga Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Current state of race (imo):

1. Stewart (still frontrunner, strong raves, beloved icon portrait, +80 MC movie);

2.Penelope (Volpi cup winner, best career raves, +80 MC movie);

3.Colman (+80 movie MC, raved performance);

4.Cate Blanchett (veteran legendary actress with an intriguing role in a Guillermo del Toro movie, bomb combination, hardly a miss);

5. Gaga|Kidman|Thompson (playing real existing character);

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 555 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 14)’ is closed to new replies.