Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 527 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
Piper Halliwell
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I just think that before that recent documentary, declining to condemn Woody Allen was more understandable because in 1993 there had been a widely publicized contemporaneous expert evaluation and report by psychiatrists at Yale University-New Haven Hospital commissioned by law enforcement officials which had (we now know, incorrectly) concluded that Dylan Farrow had not been sexually abused. I don’t blame Cate Blanchett for working with Woody Allen and declining to condemn him at the time, because the reasons for disbelieving that report wasn’t widely known until that documentary aired. What I don’t understand is why she seems to have persisted in her support for him even afterwards.

Actually, that’s not accurate. As the doc itself shows, the whole case was massive and splashed in all the papers when the custody trial in 1993 happened—Mia Farrow made it abundantly clear, and there was a memoir but even for the many who just didn’t believe her, Woody lost the custody trial. Harshly. So in 2011, when Blue Jasmine came out, it was well-known that Yale-NH study at the very least was messed up, and there was a sense (from Woody’s supporters) that the incompetency hurt an innocent man (obviously they didn’t consider the possibility that he influenced the study). I don’t believe that people don’t know at least these broad details, especially when you’re working with that person. It’s also your responsibility to know, I’d argue.

But Blanchett made the comments I referred to in 2018. Well after Ronan weighed in, Dylan weighed in, first in 2014 in an open letter that a bajillion celebs weighed on and then again in 2017-18. Given Ronan Farrow’s cred in reporting on #MeToo it’s almost shocking that even the most hypocritical of people didn’t change their tune then and there (especially if you’re constantly being asked about it by the press!)

The fact that they didn’t until…very recently mostly tells me that they just didn’t care until it was clear Woody Allen was going to be of no use to them. It’s kind of worse than just your average opportunism. Celebs basically kept held up Woody to keep him relevant and his reputation intact for two whole decades.

The doc didn’t really give much new info—it was basically just a doc to catch up people who knew nothing about Hollywood scandals, and also to give Dylan space for us to fully see her. That’s all.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    mitchellfleming21
    Topics:

Late September Predictions:

Best Actress:
    1: Kristen Stewart – Spencer
    2: Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley
    3: Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye
    4: Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter
    5: Jennifer Hudson – Respect

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Chastain is definitely unaware of dor groping his niece. That story did not make any noise in hollywood for some reason. So many a listers would not have agreed to a movie with him if they knew about the accusation. Somehow his actions slipped under radar but it is going to make headlines during his upcoming film and he will be done in Hollywood unless he gives some sort of convincing apology or the niece somehow retracts her accusations.I am actually expecting more women to come out with accusations.

I am not saying Chastain is very morally upright and will not support people if they are guilty of sexual assault but in me too era no a lister will willingly praise someone if they knew what that man was accused of simply because it hurts their public image/brand.

Profile picture
    smartypants27
    Topics:

I do believe Cate Blanchett is in lead rather than supporting and here’s why:

Rooney Mara may have a character that has a lot of coverage over the whole story of Nightmare Alley and her character has shown that in the book and in the old movie adapted a while back however, Del Toro did specify he is cutting and editing the roles and stories in the book/film he saw and read to transform into his own film adaptation. From reading a couple of articles and feedback from other individuals, it is clear that Blanchett would be lead judged also by the synopsis and her character plays in the story is significant. On the other hand, Rooney Mara has a character with no real action or Oscar winning performances in my opinion. Toni Collette has a more meatier role with less lines compared to Mara which has a less meatier role and more lines. Therefore, Blanchett will be lead and Collette will be supporting in this film.

My predictions will be then:

1. Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley

2. Kristen Stewart – Spencer

3. Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye

4. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci

5. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter//Nicole Kidman – Being The Ricardo’s.

Profile picture
    OccultCherry
    Topics:

I do believe Cate Blanchett is in lead rather than supporting and here’s why: Rooney Mara may have a character that has a lot of coverage over the whole story of Nightmare Alley and her character has shown that in the book and in the old movie adapted a while back however, Del Toro did specify he is cutting and editing the roles and stories in the book/film he saw and read to transform into his own film adaptation. From reading a couple of articles and feedback from other individuals, it is clear that Blanchett would be lead judged also by the synopsis and her character plays in the story is significant. On the other hand, Rooney Mara has a character with no real action or Oscar winning performances in my opinion. Toni Collette has a more meatier role with less lines compared to Mara which has a less meatier role and more lines. Therefore, Blanchett will be lead and Collette will be supporting in this film. My predictions will be then: 1. Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley 2. Kristen Stewart – Spencer 3. Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye 4. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci 5. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter//Nicole Kidman – Being The Ricardo’s.

Slightly embarrassing that you have Blanchett above Stewart, Colman and Chastain.

FYC:

Picture: Nomadland
    Director: Chloe Zhao
    Leading Actress: Frances McDormand
    Leading Actor: Anthony Hopkins
    Supporting Actress: Youn Yuh-jung
    Supporting Actor: Daniel Kaluuya
    Adapted Screenplay: The Father
    Original Screenplay: Promising Young Woman

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

I do believe Cate Blanchett is in lead rather than supporting and here’s why: Rooney Mara may have a character that has a lot of coverage over the whole story of Nightmare Alley and her character has shown that in the book and in the old movie adapted a while back however, Del Toro did specify he is cutting and editing the roles and stories in the book/film he saw and read to transform into his own film adaptation. From reading a couple of articles and feedback from other individuals, it is clear that Blanchett would be lead judged also by the synopsis and her character plays in the story is significant. On the other hand, Rooney Mara has a character with no real action or Oscar winning performances in my opinion. Toni Collette has a more meatier role with less lines compared to Mara which has a less meatier role and more lines. Therefore, Blanchett will be lead and Collette will be supporting in this film. My predictions will be then: 1. Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley 2. Kristen Stewart – Spencer 3. Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye 4. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci 5. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter//Nicole Kidman – Being The Ricardo’s.

They change the title meeting the ricardos

I think we’re in this beautiful kind of period [in film] where, you know, women are allowed to really find [their] voice and be weird and honest about what it feels like to be alive with a female body,” said Stewart. “And I don’t think that we’ve remotely even scratched the surface of, yeah, what that feels like, what it looks like, what it smells like, what it tastes like.”

This made me teary eyed 🥺

There was only one aspect of Princess Diana (beyond her voice and physicality) that Stewart knew she wanted to preserve as accurately as possible in her performance.

“The one thing that I get very clearly, clearly from her is her — was her — ability to keep the little bubble around her and her boys,” said Stewart. “The one thing that felt sure, the one thing that she knew, was how to be a mom…. And that was, again, daunting. I’m not a mom yet. But I just felt that so strongly. I thought that we would not have done our jobs even close to correct unless we got that.”

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I don’t buy Blanchett as the winner for a Del Toro ensemble film. I’d say Collette is way more likely in supporting. McDormand didn’t need to compete with such raved performances (okay, maybe Mulligan) in her category and her film was winning Best Picture. I just don’t see a narrative for Blanchett.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

People who win 3rd Oscars are usually in films where they are the showcase of the film. Lincoln, Nomadland, and The Iron Lady were all one man/woman shows. Blanchett is supposedly a co-lead and in an ensemble film.

Also I really think Blanchett should be campaigned in supporting. While it’s true Searchlight has gotten two actresses in before, the internal competition between her and Chastain could endanger her chances. Chastain is so unbelievably showy in The Eyes of Tammy Faye, it will edge her over Blanchett. If Blanchett was campaigned in supporting, I’ll say her nomination is 100% locked.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

McDormand’s competition last year was far from weak.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

Blanchett is winning, she’s the only contender in a strong best picture nominee so by default she’s winning

she is winning if she wasn’t even in a film according to you anyways

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

I mean ? It’s the way every single bitch in the lineup walked away with an award

So iconic

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

It was pretty weak. Two women as sole nominees, Viola Davis in a passionless film with no BP/BD/BAS mentions.

The industry awards being all over the place means absolutely nothing. None of these women had nearly as acclaim as Kristen Stewart, Jessica Chastain, Penélope Cruz, heck even Olivia Colman. Blanchett would have to overcome her whole cast first, then the raves of others with no narrative whatsoever. That’s almost an impossible task to achieve.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

It was pretty weak. Two women as sole nominees,

Vanessa Kirby = Volpi cup winner and only non McDormand performer to make it in at all of the Globes, Critics Choice, BAFTA and SAG

Andra Day = Golden Globe winner

Viola Davis in a passionless film with no BP/BD/BAS mentions.

SAG winner.

None of these women had nearly as acclaim as Kristen Stewart, Jessica Chastain, Penélope Cruz, heck even Olivia Colman.

Not really.

You may have found them weak personally (and that’s ok) but to say that none of these women had acclaim that compared to this year’s crop is a bizarre piece of revisionism. Vanessa Kirby, Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand literally had career best raves (and the latter two split critics awards with each other because there was so much acclaim for both of them), Viola Davis had a transformative performance that was arguably as praised as Chastain’s this year and Andra Day had revelatory raves. Sure Stewart and Cruz’s performance seem to have more passion than last year’s crop (with some even naming them the best performances of all time) but I don’t see how that’s any different than the career best raves Colman is receiving never mind the transformative (but not career best) raves Chastain has.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Mcdormand faced an extremely stiff competition but it’s not because the others are strong performances from strong contenders. I think this is what that guy means “weak.”

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    QueenSansa
    Topics:

‘Shang-Chi’ Ruling Box Office In Third Weekend With $21M+ – Sunday Update

Tammy Faye’s box office was… not good.

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 527 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.