Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 527 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
Piper Halliwell
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-weekend-box-office-1234839150/
    Tammy Faye’s box office was… not good.

Ugh is this kind of biopic contender supposed to have great box office?
    Respect? Judy?

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    QueenSansa
    Topics:

Ugh is this kind of biopic contender supposed to have great box office? Respect? Judy?

It looks like a crowdpleasing dramedy so it should do better coin than Respect and Judy. They’re very different kinds of film.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Judy was an indie film that made a $30 million profit at the box office.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

https://deadline.com/2021/09/shang-chi-weekend-box-office-1234839150/ Tammy Faye’s box office was… not good.

not surprising tbh. i mean no hate while saying this, I’ve only seen that clip of chastain and her performance is extremely calculated and comical imo. but also i have no idea who tammy faye is etc

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Respect?

I mean wasn’t it the consensus that film’s chances were hurt by underwhelming at the box office too?

FYC:
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

My Tammy Faye screening literally had 4 people including me. The Eyes of Tammy Faye was always meant to attract the boomer demographic because of their memories tied to growing up with the real Tammy Faye. Millennials, Gen Z, and cinephiles aren’t rushing to see the film. But because of COVID, there is a much lower movie theater participation within elderly groups compared to other age groups.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Anya Taylor-Joy, Rebecca Ferguson
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Spencer
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Cinematography: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, Last Night in Soho

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Aren’t most movies this year box office flops anyway ? Even these Marvel numbers are laughable compared to their pre-pandemic domination. Also big productions like Cruella, Jungle Cruise etc

I saw that A Quiet Place 2 did great but otherwise.. yeah

That’s why I don’t even think that Respect numbers really matter

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Aren’t most movies this year box office flops anyway ? Even these Marvel numbers are laughable compared to their pre-pandemic domination. Also big productions like Cruella, Jungle Cruise etc

I saw that A Quiet Place 2 did great but otherwise.. yeah

That’s why I don’t even think that Respect numbers really matter

Furious 9, Free Guy, Candyman, Godzilla vs Kong, Mortal Kombat, etc, had great box office considering the pandemic

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

One thing I read in the Emmy Ballot made me a bit worried about Stewart:

I know there is some excitement for the girl that played Princess Diana [Emma Corrin] but she never moved me. She was fine but I didn’t find it true to the Princess Diana in my head.

Makes me wonder if voters may find this with Stewart too. I don’t know exactly since I’ve not watched the film but what are the thoughts of you all? I guess playing a beloved renowned character as Princess Diana does have its challenges.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

It’s just one anonymous Emmy ballot. Anonymous ballots are notorious for giving radical takes so publishers can get clicks on articles. There was always a sense of anxiety regarding Stewart being able to embody a beloved figure like Princess Diana, so this is hardly a revelation. If Emma Corrin wins tomorrow, it would just show voters are willing to reward actresses who perfectly encapsulate Princess Diana which should be no issue since Stewart got raves.

I would even say if The Crown sweeps at tomorrow’s Emmys, Stewart’s frontrunner status becomes stronger since the industry seems quite compelled to reward British historical political figure transformations. Margaret Thatcher (Gillian Anderson has this Emmy on lock tomorrow), Winston Churchill, Queen Elizabeth performances have all had overlap between the Emmys and Oscars in terms of awards. Stewart’s Princess Diana is likely to join the TRIFECTA of winners as well.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Mcdormand faced an extremely stiff competition but it’s not because the others are strong performances from strong contenders. I think this is what that guy means “weak.”

Why are you calling me a guy, though?

Not really. You may have found them weak personally (and that’s ok) but to say that none of these women had acclaim that compared to this year’s crop is a bizarre piece of revisionism. Vanessa Kirby, Carey Mulligan and Frances McDormand literally had career best raves (and the latter two split critics awards with each other because there was so much acclaim for both of them), Viola Davis had a transformative performance that was arguably as praised as Chastain’s this year and Andra Day had revelatory raves. Sure Stewart and Cruz’s performance seem to have more passion than last year’s crop (with some even naming them the best performances of all time) but I don’t see how that’s any different than the career best raves Colman is receiving never mind the transformative (but not career best) raves Chastain has.

Who said anything about personal preferences here? If it was up to me Mulligan would have won and Day would have been runner-up.

I shared my opinion, that’s all. I find last year’s crop quite weak compared to this year’s contenders.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Furious 9, Free Guy, Candyman, Godzilla vs Kong, Mortal Kombat, etc, had great box office considering the pandemic

Our Best Picture lineup then! 🙂

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Each of those films still made money and were seen through Disney+’s premiere access though. Respect has been on VOD for almost a month and hardly anyone has noticed.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

industry seems quite compelled to reward British historical political figure transformations. Margaret Thatcher, Winston Churchill, Queen Elizabeth wins have all had overlap between the Emmys and Oscars. Stewart’s Princess Diana is likely to join the TRIFECTA of winners as well.

wicked

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I honestly think actors giving an acclaimed performance playing a British pop culture icon gives you an overwhelming advantage compared to the other contenders. This most likely can be attributed to the entire British bloc possibly rallying behind the actor and the general fascination surrounding playing venerated British figures. Margaret Thatcher, Queen Anne (while not a beloved British figure had overwhelming passion from the British bloc seen by The Favourite’s BAFTA award haul), Queen Elizabeth II, Freddie Mercury, Winston Churchill, Stephen Hawking, and King George VI performances have all won Oscars with their films receiving a disproportionate push from BAFTA compared to other award groups. When was the last time someone gave an acclaimed performance playing a British figure and lost in either lead category?

Kristen Stewart’s biggest obstacle is Spencer possibly not being embraced by BAFTA. But if the film receives sufficient support from BAFTA, Stewart’s Oscar trajectory becomes unstoppable. I do wonder who would be the next Oscar winning performance that plays a British figure perhaps David Bowie or Charles Darwin are next in line to be rewarded.

FYC:

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 527 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.