Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 527 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Piper Halliwell
kallewickans_3
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Well, it’s really not about having an opinion, Mulligan, Day, Kirby, Davis and McDormand were factually acclaimed if not more than the girls this year.

Yikes. Imagine having wrong facts instead of having a respectable opinion.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I find it to be weird that people are actively rooting against Jennifer Hudson getting a nomination. She was legitimately very good in Respect. The reviews are there. Its hard to believe the Academy would pass her over when she played such an important musical icon!

Exactly! She is AMAZING in Respect! The reason I think she is being underestimated on here is that she could win for the very same reasons that Rami Malek won for Bohemian Rhapsody – just like Freddie Mercury matters to the voters Aretha Franklin matters even more! AND Jennifer Hudson gives a phenomenal performance and is the central character in her film. The other top contenders in the category, at least thus far and with the exception of Jessica Chastain’s Tammy Faye, play large supporting roles – they are not the true leads in their films. This is why I think Nicole Kidman could be nominated rather than Lady Gaga, Frances McDormand, or Cate Blanchett. I love Kristen Stewart but I need to wait and see what her performance is like and whether the film supports her performance well enough for an Oscar. (Emma Corrin might win an Emmy tonight for playing Diana, IDK if this matters or not to Oscar voters).

Subject to change, I think the nominees will be Jessica Chastain, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Hudson, Nicole Kidman, and Kristen Stewart.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Exactly! She is AMAZING in Respect! The reason I think she is being underestimated on here is that she could win for the very same reasons that Rami Malek won for Bohemian Rhapsody – just like Freddie Mercury matters to the voters Aretha Franklin matters even more! AND Jennifer Hudson gives a phenomenal performance and is the central character in her film. The other top contenders in the category, at least thus far and with the exception of Jessica Chastain’s Tammy Faye, play large supporting roles – they are not the true leads in their films. This is why I think Nicole Kidman could be nominated rather than Lady Gaga, Frances McDormand, or Cate Blanchett. I love Kristen Stewart but I need to wait and see what her performance is like and whether the film supports her performance well enough for an Oscar. (Emma Corrin might win an Emmy tonight for playing Diana, IDK if this matters or not to Oscar voters). Subject to change, I think the nominees will be Jessica Chastain, Olivia Colman, Jennifer Hudson, Nicole Kidman, and Kristen Stewart.

Have you read her reviews? I mean I know you are the type of person who wants to see stuff for himself, and I can respect that (no pun intended), but at the same time what you said about Franklin can be said about Lady D. as well. The difference is that Kristen Stewart has one of the best reviews in recent history, while Jennifer Hudson’s reviews are fine. Spencer is also more raved. So if you go by your own logic, why don’t you predict the stronger contender in the stronger picture over Hudson? I also think Hudson can possibly happen, but I don’t see her winning a second Oscar with such filmography and lack of passion for her performance. Rami Malek had enormous passion and support and so did Bohemian Rhapsody (probably Top 3 for Best Picture, Golden Globe winner for Best Drama, multiple Oscar winner etc.).

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I’ll just say this to those who haven’t watched The Eyes Of Tammy Faye and are saying Chastain won’t even get a nom:

Go,watch The Eyes Of Tammy Faye now. And then tell me,how is she not getting nominated?

The movie can get Makeup, Costumes, Production Design and Supporting Actor noms but that’s a conversation for a different day.

I have seen the movie and and most it could get Best Actress and Best Makeup/Hairstyling.

I simply can’t get over the hostility towards Jennifer Hudson on these boards. I think she’s going to win AND that she delivers a GREAT performance too. She completely inhabits Aretha Franklin 100%. It’s very strange but then people said all the same dumb things on here about Rami Malek’s performance in Bohemian Rhapsody and he won too.

Profile picture
    QueenSansa
    Topics:

I’ll just say this to those who haven’t watched The Eyes Of Tammy Faye and are saying Chastain won’t even get a nom: Go,watch The Eyes Of Tammy Faye now. And then tell me,how is she not getting nominated? The movie can get Makeup, Costumes, Production Design and Supporting Actor noms but that’s a conversation for a different day.

Tammy Faye will be lucky to get Makeup at this stage nevermind production design.

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Not at all, I don’t get the confidence. The Volpi Cup stat only works for English language performances and you can never be confident about a foreign language performance getting an Oscar nomination. It doesn’t matter who it is.

The Volpi stat has been a recent phenomenon in general with the Oscars, which itself has been trending more internationally in nominations/voters, so it’s not at all weird that a foreign Volpi winner could be a contender in the vein of Cruz. Especially given her name recognition, on top of that Volpi win emerging as a recent precedent, she starts out with an advantage ahead of most foreign language performances. Her film also seems to be SPC’s main push, who previously got Isabelle nominated and which got The Father several major wins last year.

And I think it does matter who she is, she and her husband are a power couple and he was able to get nominated for a much more divisive foreign film like Biutiful in spite of having already won by then as well.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

Tammy Faye will be lucky to get Makeup at this stage nevermind production design.

It’s a lock for Makeup. The only lock till now. It’s more makeup heavy than Hillbilly Eelegy and even The Iron Lady as both Garfield and Chastain had makeup on.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I want so so so so so much for Tessa Thompson. She’s up there with the most hard-working and talented actors of her generation and she’s always quietly giving brilliant performances. In that way, she’s so underrated imo, she’s rarely in awards conversations even though I feel like everyone really likes her. I’m really rooting for her esp with those amazing Sundance reviewssssssss. Come onnnnn NYFF, I’ll be seeing it there 😀😍🙂 Anyone know which fest is next?

You took Penélope out of your predictions because you didn’t want to take Tessa Thompson out, don’t lie! 😝

Anyway, Almodóvar’s movie will probably  have a resurgence at NYFF and so will “Passing” hopefully.

Balfe should go supporting in my opinion, because Tessa Thompson, Nicole Kidman or Penélope Cruz can easily bury her.

Profile picture
    QueenSansa
    Topics:

It’s a lock for Makeup. The only lock till now. It’s more makeup heavy than Hillbilly Eelegy and even The Iron Lady as both Garfield and Chastain had makeup on.

Isn’t some of its makeup digital?

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

Have you read her reviews? I mean I know you are the type of person who wants to see stuff for himself, and I can respect that (no pun intended), but at the same time what you said about Franklin can be said about Lady D. as well. The difference is that Kristen Stewart has one of the best reviews in recent history, while Jennifer Hudson’s reviews are fine. Spencer is also more raved. So if you go by your own logic, why don’t you predict the stronger contender in the stronger picture over Hudson? I also think Hudson can possibly happen, but I don’t see her winning a second Oscar with such filmography and lack of passion for her performance. Rami Malek had enormous passion and support and so did Bohemian Rhapsody (probably Top 3 for Best Picture, Golden Globe winner for Best Drama, multiple Oscar winner etc.).

First of all, I love and adore Kristen Stewart but I have not seen her performance yet, so simmer down! We must have read different reviews of Respect because Jennifer Hudson’s personal reviews were RAVES and deservedly so. Respect is a much better movie than most people on here are giving it credit for and for me it has Bohemian Rhapsody vibes all over it too. I would be happy with either actress winning. Kristen Stewart won the Cesar award for Best Supporting Actress for Clouds of Silas Marna (opposite the divine Juliette Binoche) and I was one of the few people on this planet who loved her performance in Seberg (so incredibly under-rated). I would love love love for either actress to win. I am commenting on the animosity on here towards Jennifer Hudson, which is very strange to me. I wonder aloud of all of the haters have actually seen the movie! Remember, too, the average age of most academy voters: they remember Aretha Franklin and have more affection for her than Diana Spencer – little things in a close race can matter. It is one of the reasons that Rami Malek defeated Christian Bale a few years ago – more affection for Freddie Mercury than for George Bush Jr.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I can even see Penélope getting in without her film – remember Marion Cotillard and Isabelle Huppert? She just needs a proper amount of critics buzz to maintain her status.

Exactly (although I think Parallel Mothers is safe for international feature).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

The Viola Davis hype is on track again when the film isn’t even completed? Lol. I can’t wait for Cynthia Erivo to surprise y’all with her African Princess movie. Viola is the only black actress y’all want to see prevail, for that, I pray someone unexpected and less liked gets it.

Hun, GoldDerby already has Viola number 1 only for her to lose yet again. They jinx her every time.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Look guys, Hudson can sing extremely well. I could buy that people think she’s convincing as a performer. But then her line delivery…that’s an issue.

Exactly. JHud is just not a good actress. What saved her performance were the singing scenes which she could do with her eyes close.

Profile picture
    JakeT
    Topics:

Exactly. JHud is just not a good actress. What saved her performance were the singing scenes which she could do with her eyes close.

Saying JHud is a bad actress goes down very badly on these threads, when in actual fact it is just true. People are surprised she is less bad than outright awful. But then it becomes a conversation about race, which it doesn’t need to be. Jennifer = bad actress. Cynthia = mesmerising as Aretha.

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I just thought about this. The Academy awarded Frances McDormand her 3rd Lead Oscar the same day Glenn Close and Diane Warren continued their losing streak.

Viewing 15 posts - 316 through 330 (of 527 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.