Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 527 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
replies
views
users
Piper Halliwell
kallewickans_3
wolfali
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

It’s wild to me that people were so quick to jump on the Golden Globes (rightfully so) but conveniently turn a blind eye when the more favourable award shows demonstrate the same anti-POC sentiment There are roles for poc like halle and viola

I’m still baffled to see that diversity only means having more black nominees, though. That’s not diversity. A lot of other ethnicity deserve their moment to shine as well. Other than Awkwafina for example, were there any Asian leading actress contenders in recent history? Or do we have to go back to Ziyi Zhang and 2006? That’s tragic.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Some people praise performances by white actresses in flawed (sometimes horribly flawed) films and consider them award-worthy. They say “the film isn’t exactly good, but she’s excellent.” But when it comes to actresses of color, they have other standards.

I’m not sure I agree. I think Ruth Negga was nominated exactly because she was excellent and worthy in a so-so film. Andra Day literally got nominated for a panned movie. I think if the performance is strong, anything can happen. But the truth is, there are like 2-3 WOC contenders in lead per a year. That’s an awfully low number. We need more WOC contenders so we can have a fair representation.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

I’m still baffled to see that diversity only means having more black nominees, though. That’s not diversity. A lot of other ethnicity deserve their moment to shine as well. Other than Awkwafina for example, were there any Asian leading actress contenders in recent history? Or do we have to go back to Ziyi Zhang and 2006? That’s tragic.

Did they say only black actress? They clearly stated poc i stand corrected

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Did they say only black actress? They clearly stated poc i stand corrected

Hollywood Won’t Quit the Golden Globes, Despite No Black Members and a Corruption Scandal

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/02/26/golden-globes-controversy-times-up-calls-out-zero-black-hfpa-members/6843745002/

https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-02-21/hfpa-golden-globes-2021-who-are-the-members

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/awards/golden-globes-criticized-absence-black-hollywood-foreign-press-members-rcna320

Most articles were about no black members. No words on how many other ethnicity were represented (I’d say not many). But that’s the general controversy = no black nominees, no black winners etc. It feels weird because like I said there are so many underrepresented ethnicity around that deserve their time on the screen.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

https://www.indiewire.com/2021/02/hollywood-the-golden-globes-controversy-1234618784/ https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/movies/2021/02/26/golden-globes-controversy-times-up-calls-out-zero-black-hfpa-members/6843745002/ https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/business/story/2021-02-21/hfpa-golden-globes-2021-who-are-the-members https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/awards/golden-globes-criticized-absence-black-hollywood-foreign-press-members-rcna320 Most articles were about no black members. No words on how many other ethnicity were represented (I’d say not many). But that’s the general controversy = no black nominees, no black winners etc. It feels weird because like I said there are so many underrepresented ethnicity around that deserve their time on the screen.

She’s Asian so  are some twitter accounts I follow. They are complaining  all about lack of diversity.

the Emmys is like that tv show you’re still watching *just in case* it finally does something different

but every year it proves you wrong and does its same old thing again. and again. and again. #EmmysSoWhite

I’m ending it here it’s so exhausting to have to see so much discourse with this Awards Shows.

The Emmy ratings were not catastrophic but they’re not great either, not compared to what they used to be. This year they’re at a 7.4 compared to their record low last year of 6.3. hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/emm…

People generally don’t care about awards shows anymore

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I’m not sure I agree. I think Ruth Negga was nominated exactly because she was excellent and worthy in a so-so film. Andra Day literally got nominated for a panned movie. I think if the performance is strong, anything can happen. But the truth is, there are like 2-3 WOC contenders in lead per a year. That’s an awfully low number. We need more WOC contenders so we can have a fair representation.

I’d also distinguish between wins and nominations. A significant number of white actresses have won for giving strong performances in mediocre movies— for example, Renee Zellweger, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Julianne Moore— but no POC actress has ever won a BA Oscar in a mediocre movie, EVEN IF she somehow managed to secure a nomination for a great performance. But I also strongly agree that we desperately need more movies to be made with POC actresses in leading roles. More stories need to be told.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

I’d also distinguish between wins and nominations. A significant number of white actresses have won for giving strong performances in mediocre movies— for example, Renee Zellweger, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Julianne Moore— but no POC actress has ever won a BA Oscar in a mediocre movie, EVEN IF she somehow managed to secure a nomination for a great performance. But I also strongly agree that we desperately need more movies to be made with POC actresses in leading roles. More stories need to be told.

Tottaly Agree with this thank you 🙏🏼

Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

with emmys being so white the oscars will make sure there’s at least 1 woc in the lineup.

If only they care lol.

This is the same AMPAS which some producers were mad about Moonlight winning Best Picture and bringing some harsh confessions on the brutal honest AMPAS votes about not caring the twitter wokeism and saying they want to vote whatever them want not what others want to dictate them. If so, that pressure is doing the opposite tbh.

If so, the Emmy awarding white actors give them the full free card to not worrying about nominating POC just for the “sake” of doing.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Laughing at some people comparing Olivia fucking Colman to Zendaya. Comparing The Lost Daughter to Macaroni & Marie? Huh? The Lost Daughter is sitting pretty on Metacritic with an 88, and a perfect 100% on Rotten Tomatoes. It’s more acclaimed than BOTH Spencer and Macaroni & Marie. Both critics and the overall weight of the performances will launch it into the Picture conversation once Maggie secures the Screenplay nod, while the British bloc will rally behind Colman because of course they fucking will. Can’t say either of those two eventualities will happen for Spencer.

Those same critics praised Zendaya performance. And besides Colman fans who thinks The lost daughter is ahead of Spencer in best picture that’s delusional Kristen has more hype then Olivia and that movie put together honestly.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Renee Zellweger, Meryl Streep, Sandra Bullock, Julianne Moore … and Jessica Chastain?

Profile picture
    QueenSansa
    Topics:

This. Remember when Chris Rock hosted the Oscars during #OscarsSoWhite? He spent 4 hours making jokes about how there were no black nominees and never once anyone else. He even made a borderline racist joke at the expense of an Asian child. One of his segments was a VT of him asking people on the street what they thought about the lack of black nominees and the only mention of the lack of any other minority for the whole show came from one of the randoms he spoke to.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Was Gucci screened yesterday? Are there any reactions

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

I’ve seen so much hate against Gucci that I kind of hope it succeeds.

Profile picture
    mateil
    Topics:

Those same critics praised Zendaya performance. And besides Colman fans who thinks The lost daughter is ahead of Spencer in best picture that’s delusional Kristen has more hype then Olivia and that movie put together honestly.

Yeah, well Malcom And Marie didn’t win screenplay at Venice.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

tbh there are more than 2-3 woc contenders we just don’t hear about them a lot because streaming services or distributors don’t give them the enough attention and just dump the film. i mean look at last year’s bafta lead actress lineup

Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 527 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 15)’ is closed to new replies.