Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 16)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 515 total)
Created
4 weeks ago
Last Reply
3 weeks ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
FreemanGriffin
Piper Halliwell
  • Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I respect your opinion, but disagree with everything you said. I’m no fan of Birdman, but Keaton was fantastic. Just because it wasn’t a transformative performance and it didn’t have many “Oscar moments” doesn’t mean it wasn’t that good. Eddie Redmayne was great, but there wasn’t anything unique about his performance. Any other actor could’ve played the same part and nothing would’ve changed. Felicity Jones was actually better than him in that movie. She had a more complex and nuanced performance. Redmayne is not among the worst Best Actor winners and the transformative part was certainly impressive, but he was a very forgettable winner, given how cliched and baity he was and how unimpressive his career has been. Giving him an Oscar just didn’t felt right to me.

You see, that’s exactly what I thought of Keaton. I also think the role wasn’t nearly as challenging as playing Stephen Hawking. I also think what’s more important is that Hawking himself said that Redmayne was impressive as him. That’s the highest praise you can get, I think.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

You see, that’s exactly what I thought of Keaton.

Well, agree to disagree. That performance was made for Keaton and another actor wouldn’t have been the same.

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

Well, agree to disagree. That performance was made for Keaton and another actor wouldn’t have been the same.

Exactly, this was like the real life story of Keaton, Eddie was just lucky to resembles Hawking.

Profile picture
    orange juice
    Topics:

Not Kristen going against juggernauts Mcdormand and Colman😭 Imagine if she actually ends up winning against them

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

There was nothing Oscar worthy about Michael Keaton’s performance in Birdman and he lacks a great body of work to garner the overdue narrative. Eddie Redmayne deserved it even though he’s been making terrible choices since after then. We can argue he acts disabled naturally, but it worked for him in the film. Y’all can hate me once again, but I feel like the much disliked Bradley Cooper was the best in that lineup.

As for worst Oscar winners, Sandra Bullock shouldn’t be in the top 20. Mahershala Ali (Moonlight), Regina King and Laura Dern should be the top three

Laga Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

RE: all of these controversies.

You can dislike the movie and not have him be your favorite lead actor performance of the year (he’s not mine), but how can you say that Malek was actually bad? That’s insane to me. He was undeniably, objectively great, which is why he received so much praise. He brought life into the character and played him very emotional.

Lee Anne Tuohy and Sandra Bullock… I was in elementary school when that movie came out so I’ve grown up with it on during Thanksgiving or during football season or what-have-you, and when I got into the Oscars in high school, I was shocked that she won an Oscar for it. It is a good performance. She dons an accent, she’s likable and charming as she always is, she’s tenacious at plenty of spots throughout the movie. That said, she’s probably only nomination-worthy, not win-worthy. But still good. Same with Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love.

As for Redmayne v Keaton. Obviously the top two of the year, both wonderful performances. The two things that make me say the former over the latter as of now (I say as of now given that I’ve only seen each film once and a second viewing could change my opinion) are that Redmayne needed to almost come up with a new form of acting and that the role was LITERALLY BASED on Michael Keaton. It’s funny that someone said Redmayne didn’t do anything unique and that any performer could’ve done the same thing. That’s a pretty terrible take to me. For one, it’s a physical performance. Yes, every performance is physical, actors are gesticulating and making faces and positioning their body. But this is obviously different because he has to act like he has the disease which is something not often seen in film (not just any disease like alzheimers, I mean something that affects physical function). Keaton on the other hand is playing himself, which yes, takes a lot of vulnerability, but doesnt really require as much acting. And dont argue with me on THAT, because that’s just a fact. If you were to quantify acting in some way, playing a version of yourself would require less acting than playing a totally fictional character.

Oscars FYC:

Visual Effects: Free Guy

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

When I first started reading that some people thought Tessa Thompson had a shot at a Best Actress nomination I thought it was on the lines of people thinking that Alfre Woodard in Clemency might get nominated or others who didn’t really have a realistic path to a nomination regardless of the merits of their performances – but now I am thinking she could break through an extremely crowded field and be a surprise nominee. I am not ready to put her into my predictions but the trailer for Passing is phenomenal. It does what a trailer is supposed to do: it makes me want to see the movie immediately and impatient for it’s release so I can do so! I still think there are other actresses who are much more likely but I do think there is a path for her to become a nominee this year.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

RE: all of these controversies. You can dislike the movie and not have him be your favorite lead actor performance of the year (he’s not mine), but how can you say that Malek was actually bad? That’s insane to me. He was undeniably, objectively great, which is why he received so much praise. He brought life into the character and played him very emotional. Lee Anne Tuohy and Sandra Bullock… I was in elementary school when that movie came out so I’ve grown up with it on during Thanksgiving or during football season or what-have-you, and when I got into the Oscars in high school, I was shocked that she won an Oscar for it. It is a good performance. She dons an accent, she’s likable and charming as she always is, she’s tenacious at plenty of spots throughout the movie. That said, she’s probably only nomination-worthy, not win-worthy. But still good. Same with Paltrow in Shakespeare in Love. As for Redmayne v Keaton. Obviously the top two of the year, both wonderful performances. The two things that make me say the former over the latter as of now (I say as of now given that I’ve only seen each film once and a second viewing could change my opinion) are that Redmayne needed to almost come up with a new form of acting and that the role was LITERALLY BASED on Michael Keaton. It’s funny that someone said Redmayne didn’t do anything unique and that any performer could’ve done the same thing. That’s a pretty terrible take to me. For one, it’s a physical performance. Yes, every performance is physical, actors are gesticulating and making faces and positioning their body. But this is obviously different because he has to act like he has the disease which is something not often seen in film (not just any disease like alzheimers, I mean something that affects physical function). Keaton on the other hand is playing himself, which yes, takes a lot of vulnerability, but doesnt really require as much acting. And dont argue with me on THAT, because that’s just a fact. If you were to quantify acting in some way, playing a version of yourself would require less acting than playing a totally fictional character.

People are going to hate bio performances no matter what. I cannot imagine bashing these performances even if I personally dislike some of them. The amount of work each and every one of those performers do to make it work is admirable. Streep, Oldman, Malek, Zellweger etc. And there are obviously fans – I mean they literally won Oscars and most of these performances were received well by the general audience.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

When I first started reading that some people thought Tessa Thompson had a shot at a Best Actress nomination I thought it was on the lines of people thinking that Alfre Woodard in Clemency might get nominated or others who didn’t really have a realistic path to a nomination regardless of the merits of their performances – but now I am thinking she could break through an extremely crowded field and be a surprise nominee. I am not ready to put her into my predictions but the trailer for Passing is phenomenal. It does what a trailer is supposed to do: it makes me want to see the movie immediately and impatient for it’s release so I can do so! I still think there are other actresses who are much more likely but I do think there is a path for her to become a nominee this year.

I think safest bet at the moment is both Thompson and Negga making it in at BAFTA. We saw last year them being welcoming to POC and despite both actresses being somewhat “known”, neither have been nominated for a performance before there. I can see Hall getting in for Director also…

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

playing a version of yourself would require less acting than playing a totally fictional character.

Eddie Redmayne and Rami Malek were not playing a fictional character

Profile picture
    VedanthM
    Topics:

Kristen’s performance has to be undeniable because her reputation of often being a non-actress (partially unearned) can greatly effect her chances.

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

People are going to hate bio performances no matter what. I cannot imagine bashing these performances even if I personally dislike some of them. The amount of work each and every one of those performers do to make it work is admirable. Streep, Oldman, Malek, Zellweger etc. And there are obviously fans – I mean they literally won Oscars and most of these performances were received well by the general audience.

This is objectively untrue

– Denzel Washington in Malcolm X

– Natalie Portman in Jackie

– Angela Bassett in WLGTDWI

– Marion Cotillard in La Vie En Rose

– Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln

– Helen Mirren in The Queen

– Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth

– Robert De Niro in Raging Bull

these are only a few examples of real life portrayals that get universal praise and rank amongst all-time best Oscar performances. Hell people even praised Andra Day despite the mediocrity of her movie. People don’t hate on biopic performances just because. They simply think that some of these are just.. bad

Profile picture
    Faux architect
    Topics:

If Kidman pulls off Lucille Ball watch out for her, the industry love her and she is playing an iconic figure. The film being oscar friendly too will only help her as well.

I feel like the accent is the biggest hurdle, just like in the case of KStew. I love Nicole but she isn’t suited for those roles that require a chameleon. Her strengths lie elsewhere.

I think she should work with a good dialect coach if she wants to try this kind of role in the future because you can really notice problems when she’s tackling specific accents.

It’s interesting to see how actors do well with accents in Larrain films. Maybe he recommends then to some good dialect people.

Pantheon of acting: Uta / Elizabeth / Richard / Sandy (Virginia Woolf), Bibi / Liv (Persona), Sandrine (La Ceremonie), Brie (Short Term 12), Jodie (Silence of the Lambs), Jodie (Killing Eve), Nicole (The Others), Eva (Penny Dreadful), Timothée (CMBYN), Lupita (Us)

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

– Denzel Washington in Malcolm X – Natalie Portman in Jackie – Angela Bassett in WLGTDWI – Marion Cotillard in La Vie En Rose – Daniel Day Lewis in Lincoln – Helen Mirren in The Queen – Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth – Robert De Niro in Raging Bull

Don’t forget:

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

Clemency lacked visibility as Neon sort of left it in a ditch while putting all of its resources on Parasite that year. Netflix is unlikely to give Passing similar treatment.

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.