Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 16)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 16)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 515 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
FreemanGriffin
Piper Halliwell
  • Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I was wondering,did any if the reviews mention Frances and Denzel having accents? If they do, that would be rare for both.

According to an interview with Joel Coen, during the three week rehearsal period, they experimented with “disparate accents” but it was ultimately decided that all of the actors in the film “could use their own cadence.”

Profile picture
    MultipleOscarWinner
    Topics:

Now, Frances McDormand is winning Oscars for being white. I think I heard it all. The truth is that Frances McDormand has built her reputation to be one of the most honest, down-to-earth, supportive performers in the industry, gaining critical acclaim for many of her performances and films. Her three Oscars were wildly supported by all the industry folks + critics + general audience and that’s a hard combo to achieve. Most would be satisfied with just the industry love, but no, all her wins are supported by most people = she must have deserved them. I don’t mind that 1% opposite side to share their opinion, but let’s not go into conspiracy theories. McDormand’s achievements are anything, but controversial. You ask any actor POC or white, they will say the same. Actors eat her words up. She’s that respected.

Oh, please! You know damn well what I meant. If you don’t, it’s time for you to get educated about it:
    There’s no way someone like Frances could’ve gotten the roles she’s had without being a white woman. Same applies for someone like Meryl and even an Oscarless Glenn. Wether they get the roles or be a part of the film process or even creating the roles themselves there’s an obvious advantage they have over minorities. The reputation and opportunities come after it, whether you like it or not.  The parallels are beyond obvious: Lupita/Margot, Meryl/Viola, Carey/Gabourey and I could go on and on and on.

But all of Frances competition wins besides Cynthia have been white so no.

How do you use this as an excuse? It’s even worse! It means the Academy decided to ignore of women of color or that the roles weren’t even there to begin with.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

I too really think we are going to have another split year as no contender seems undeniable for a win unlike the sweep years you mentioned. The BAFTA again will be the key indicator in determining the winner again as SAG and BFCA have been diverging in their winners.

We have strong front runners.

Stewart/Smith are number 1 in +85% of the predictions.
    People might argue that Spencer can be controversial with brits or that Benedict might have a better chance at Bafta (even though he doesn’t have the same level of reviews as Hopkins) for being the “british actor in a respected film”, but it’s very different from last year. Viola was a weak front runner, then Carey, Day taking a Golden Globe… and it was also a year with more possibilities. A british actress on her second nomination, a revelation, an actress with “overdue” to take a prize in protagonist and follow the steps of Berry, an the lead actress on the Best Picture winner…

This year is literally Kristen vs previous winners (Cruz, Blanchett, Colman, McDormand…)

Unless Balfe/Dunst assume a clear favoritism or a strong contender appears for supporting actor, the supporting categories seem much more open.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

You know damn well what I meant. If you don’t, it’s time for you to get educated about it:

You don’t need to educate me, since no one asked you to do so. You also don’t fucking know me so you don’t have the right to imply that I’m ignorant just because I called you out on your bullshit. Opportunities and lack of opportunities has nothing to do with you post. That’s a general problem that has nothing to do with Meryl Streep or Frances McDormand. Especially as Frances herself literally used her money and privilege to hire Chloe Zhao instead of a white director. How about her and her husband making a movie with a POC lead and POC supporting players just now? And Streep used her voice an power to speak up for Viola Davis. The thing is that you tried to make a post about why you don’t like Frances McDormand’s wins and you tried to argue that her success is due to her being appealing to the white community which couldn’t be more wrong, like I explained it in my reply. Neither McDormand or Streep were ever seen as consensus pretty (as fucked up as it sounds), they had their own struggles in the industry. The word you were missing out the whole time was talent. They made it by being fucking talented. You were coming for the wrong ladies.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

We have strong front runners. Stewart/Smith are number 1 in +85% of the predictions. People might argue that Spencer can be controversial with brits or that Benedict might have a better chance at Bafta (even though he doesn’t have the same level of reviews as Hopkins) for being the “british actor in a respected film”, but it’s very different from last year. Viola was a weak front runner, then Carey, Day taking a Golden Globe… and it was also a year with more possibilities. A british actress on her second nomination, a revelation, an actress with “overdue” to take a prize in protagonist and follow the steps of Berry, an the lead actress on the Best Picture winner… This year is literally Kristen vs previous winners (Cruz, Blanchett, Colman, McDormand…) Unless Balfe/Dunst assume a clear favoritism or a strong contender appears for supporting actor, the supporting categories seem much more open.

Hopkins was also in a stronger movie that got nominated in Best Film and did so much better overall. It kind of made sense he would win but we were too caught up into Boseman’s narrative. As for Smith I just don’t think King Richard will get a Best Film nom and the history might repeat itself since TPOTD will be the stronger movie all over again.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

I honestly believe that the frontrunners in September will not win once the winners are announced at the Oscars. I think we are in for a wild 4 1/2 months! It’s much more interesting when there is suspense over which names will be called on Oscar night!

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Hopkins was also in a stronger movie that got nominated in Best Film and did so much better overall. It kind of made sense he would win but we were too caught up into Boseman’s narrative. As for Smith I just don’t think King Richard will get a Best Film nom and the history might repeat itself since TPOTD will be the stronger movie all over again.

Will Smith doesn’t really need his film to be a BP nominee, I think. Lead categories are mostly about the strength of the performer, and Will has a good chance at getting it based on that alone. 🙂

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

According to an interview with Joel Coen, during the three week rehearsal period, they experimented with “disparate accents” but it was ultimately decided that all of the actors in the film “could use their own cadence.”

Ah, their own “cadence” like Daniel Craig in Dragon Tattoo remake 😅

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

Will Smith doesn’t really need his film to be a BP nominee, I think. Lead categories are mostly about the strength of the performer, and Will has a good chance at getting it based on that alone. 🙂

So does Benedict. And Best Actor usually has a great correlation with Best Film.  But by all means good luck.

Profile picture
    Diogo Duarte
    Topics:

I really think King Richard will be nominated for Best Picture. 77 on Metacritic is too high for this type of film and the academy needs to connect with the audience after last year. Also, on a list of 10 it’s not that hard.

Anyway, I just don’t think Benedict is as strong as Hopkins. Hopkins was an emotional role about a man at the end of his life w/ alzheimer and having reviews of the “best career work” for someone at his age meant a lot. Benedict is strong, but he is still “the villain”, a denser character that will make the audience hate him. Anyway, it can happen, but it’s not the same thing and The Father that was also a british film and not a british actor with an american accent in an american production.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

As for Smith I just don’t think King Richard will get a Best Film nom and the history might repeat itself since TPOTD will be the stronger movie all over again.

King Richard is such a crowd pleaser that I will likely predict it over a few movies. It’s an inspirational movie revolving around 2 Tennis Superstars (whom everyone knows).

Will Smith has (1) the strong performance (as Piper Halliwell pointed out) (2) the narrative (Superstar never having won) (3) film is likely to get Supporting Actress (4) film is well liked and crowd pleasing.

Profile picture
    H. H.
    Topics:

I really think King Richard will be nominated for Best Picture. 77 on Metacritic is too high for this type of film and the academy needs to connect with the audience after last year. Also, on a list of 10 it’s not that hard. Anyway, I just don’t think Benedict is as strong as Hopkins. Hopkins was an emotional role about a man at the end of his life w/ alzheimer and having reviews of the “best career work” for someone at his age meant a lot. Benedict is strong, but he is still “the villain”, a denser character that will make the audience hate him. Anyway, it can happen, but it’s not the same thing and The Father that was also a british film and not a british actor with an american accent in an american production.

At the Oscars sure, let me have my doubts about BAFTA. If it gets a nom there then I will predict Smith as well over Cumberbatch as long as he wins SAG of course.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

King Richard is such a crowd pleaser that I will likely predict it over a few movies. It’s an inspirational movie revolving around 2 Tennis Superstars (whom everyone knows).

Will Smith has (1) the strong performance (as Piper Halliwell pointed out) (2) the narrative (Superstar never having won) (3) film is likely to get Supporting Actress (4) film is well liked and crowd pleasing.

I believe that Will Smith in the Best Actor category will be the only major nomination for the movie. There are far too many other movies vying for the ten slots in BP that are more imaginative and likely to get in, Ellis has no chance at all for Supporting Actress (she’s at least 12th in line), Richard Williams is not a likeable human being. I don’t believe that academy members are clamoring to give Will Smith an Oscar. I could even seeing him missing the nomination entirely if certain films do better than expected. Nobody is right or wrong about this right now, we have 4 1/2 more months until we know for certain. “Crowd pleasers” don’t always get nominated and they don’t always win either. I think there are many Academy members who will not like this movie and enough of them to make the difference.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

The last time a Best Actor winner wasn’t in a BP nominee was Jeff Bridges in Crazy Heart – 12 years ago. It can be done but it’s rare. If all four of the other nominees are in BP nominees then it will definitely go to one of the other four.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 515 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 16)’ is closed to new replies.