Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 505 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
kallewickans_3
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Yeah we put too much weight behind campaigning when in recent years little to no campaigning can win you an Oscar. What counts most is how much the voters like your performance.

*whispers*: but this is also not…..campaigning lol. She did a set, it’s unrelated to HoG. This is far more promoting her new album with Tony Bennett. They can love her to the earth and back but it won’t change HoG’s reception lol. That’s so silly.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

*whispers*: but this is also not…..campaigning lol. She did a set, it’s unrelated to HoG. This is far more promoting her new album with Tony Bennett. They can love her to the earth and back but it won’t change HoG’s reception lol. That’s so silly.

I never said it would change HoG’s reception. I just said that campaigning as had little effect on one’s Oscar chances in recent years. I’m just saying this in advance when Gaga and other contenders campaign to the heavens and we will all say that this will help them to a win, when in fact it doesn’t really matter.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Campaigning really does matter i get everyone has different opinions and i love that lol but this is just not TRUE. Example… Belfast was not really taken so serious as a best picture contender like others pre festival (power of the Dog) but the studio campaigning it getting seen now it has buzz and passion from people who seen it pundits and critics and won people choice at tiff if it wasn’t for campaigning Belfast would not be a future Oscar nominated movie.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Stewart, who I love, has an odd accent and mannerisms.

it’s literally a posh British accent. Wtf are you talking about? 😂

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I never said it would change HoG’s reception. I just said that campaigning as had little effect on one’s Oscar chances in recent years. I’m just saying this in advance when Gaga and other contenders campaign to the heavens and we will all say that this will help them to a win, when in fact it doesn’t really matter.

Ya sorry I agree with you, I was just also saying that this isn’t exactly what we usually call “campaigning”. I quoted to add on, not disagree 🙂

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Campaigning really does matter i get everyone has different opinions and i love that lol but this is just not TRUE. Example… Belfast was not really taken so serious as a best picture contender like others pre festival (power of the Dog) but the studio campaigning it getting seen now it has buzz and passion from people who seen it pundits and critics and won people choice at tiff if it wasn’t for campaigning Belfast would not be a future Oscar nominated movie.

Yes agreed and that is all traditional campaigning. Branagh, Dornan etc being present at TIFF and Telluride, schmoozing, talking to voters after the film premiered — THAT is campaigning. It’s taking advantage of the immediate reactions and gut feelings and warm fuzzies immediately after a film. That did help lock Belfast in.

Doing a concert with music unrelated to the film at an event unrelated to film releases in general, two months before your film premieres, is not…..campaigning for HoG. At best it is promotion for her new album, there’s no…other connection there. Voters are people lol, would seeing Gaga sing one more time make you see HoG totally differently when it releases in December? Probably not! Their ballot is anonymous lol, no one’s looking over their shoulder being like “HEY that concert was amazeballs, just vote for her okay.” That’s nonsensical. If JHud had sang an Aretha song, maybe that would have been campaigning because it’s been seen & there’s a clear connection.

This is……unrelated and the film hasn’t even been seen yet. Voters were always going to watch HoG, that was never in doubt. Liking a concert for a non-musical film… that is not much of anything.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I don’t think Jessica Chastain will get a nomination. She is wonderful but the movie isn’t good. She has been left off the list for all of her performances since Zero Dark Thirty. Hudson is FIFTH in the predictions center. She is hardly out of contention! Zegler definitely isn’t above her. I am not convinced that Spencer is all that good of a movie yet. I need to see it because I do not like the trailers for it and Stewart, who I love, has an odd accent and mannerisms. Maybe the full movie will be better than the trailers, I am adopting a “wait and see” attitude about it. McDormand won last year and has won 3 times. This will count against her imo. Balfe could go into the supporting category. Hudson also benefits in clearly being a lead. She also benefits because the academy is trying to be more inclusive and she is African-American. Tessa Thompson is less likely to be nominated than she is. This isn’t about the merits of their performances per se. As I’ve said before the age of a majority of the voters will help Hudson as well. My problem is that she is being dismissed unfairly. She may wind up not getting nominated, of course, but I think it’s just fanboying and fangirling that are making some on here dismiss her.

Ok, but your personal opinion has no effect on its reviews which are mostly raves, let alone Stewart’s performance that is the most acclaimed performance of the year. Both the movie and Stewart are 10 times more likely than Hudson and her film.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Hudson also benefits in clearly being a lead. She also benefits because the academy is trying to be more inclusive and she is African-American. Tessa Thompson is less likely to be nominated than she is. This isn’t about the merits of their performances per se. As I’ve said before the age of a majority of the voters will help Hudson as well.

I actually generally agree that we cannot count Hudson out but lol this paragraph makes NO sense. There’s literally zero justification given for Thompson having less of a chance, it’s almost written like you don’t know Thompson is Black too lol

FYC:

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

I actually generally agree that we cannot count Hudson out but lol this paragraph makes NO sense. There’s literally zero justification given for Thompson having less of a chance, it’s almost written like you don’t know Thompson is Black too lol

Not to mention that Thompson is the stronger POC contender. Better film, better reviews, more career-momentum.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Doing a concert with music unrelated to the film at an event unrelated to film releases in general, two months before your film premieres, is not…..campaigning for HoG. At best it is promotion for her new album, there’s no…other connection there. Voters are people lol, would seeing Gaga sing one more time make you see HoG totally differently when it releases in December? Probably not!

I’m not sure I agree. The GP don’t get to gee her sing at this event. It’s for her peers. She is an academy favourite. They asked her to do the Julie Andrews tribute in 2015 when she was still viewed by many as the crazy meat dress wearer. It really helped to change her image and let people know just how talented she was without the theatrics.

She would gave been asked to do this even if she wasn’t a potential nominee but events like these do help her potential campaign. We know that not everybody will watch all the movies. There might be others who are on the fence about who to nominate. Havi G a great memory of being entertained by Gaga as opposed to maybe not even meeting some other nominees or just saying hi will influence them. Maggie Gyllenhaal posted about her too calling her a goddess and an expert level entertainer. Halle wants to be her when she grows up. Bryan Lourd’s husband called her an incomparable talent. I genuinely have no clue if Gucci will deliver but if her performance is praised then these events can very well push her over the line in a tight race.

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I hope we get the Bruised trailer this week.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

I’m not sure I agree. The GP don’t get to gee her sing at this event. It’s for her peers. She is an academy favourite. They asked her to do the Julie Andrews tribute in 2015 when she was still viewed by many as the crazy meat dress wearer. It really helped to change her image and let people know just how talented she was without the theatrics. She would gave been asked to do this even if she wasn’t a potential nominee but events like these do help her potential campaign. We know that not everybody will watch all the movies. There might be others who are on the fence about who to nominate. Havi G a great memory of being entertained by Gaga as opposed to maybe not even meeting some other nominees or just saying hi will influence them. Maggie Gyllenhaal posted about her too calling her a goddess and an expert level entertainer. Halle wants to be her when she grows up. Bryan Lourd’s husband called her an incomparable talent. I genuinely have no clue if Gucci will deliver but if her performance is praised then these events can very well push her over the line in a tight race.

update: Laura Dern called her a goddess beyond measure 😅. Like you can’t reasonably say that events like this don’t help her campaign  I’m not saying they will blindly nominate her for a trash film but if she’s near or on par with the frontrunners then this sets her apart from the rest. We will see. (I want her to be nominated to bring some showbiz and drama to proceedings and the awards show need all the ratings it can get 😅)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Maggie Gyllenhaal posted about her too calling her a goddess and an expert level entertainer.

That’s exactly it. This is not in doubt lol. And therefore it does not really help at all. Who thinks Gaga is NOT an expert level musical performer?! Is HoG a musical?

Her Julie Andrews tribute was lovely and had zero impact on me with regards to how I viewed her performance and ASIB as a film. Maybe it had some impact in that she was performing in ASIB, but that’s as far as it went. Again—voters are human beings lol. Say you’re a writer and you cheer on another writer who happens to be very talented at…playing the violin, say, because you admire them for being great at that. Would you feel obliged somehow to vote for them in an election or competition pertaining to their writing somewhere down the line? How does their violin-playing make any difference to that assessment? Gaga did not do a dramatic monologue, she’s a musician—that’s what she did. It’s not as if it’s been like 2 decades since someone’s seen or heard Gaga’s music. She’s great at it, fullstop. REALLY nothing to do with HoG.

FYC:

Profile picture
    aahoto
    Topics:

We clearly did not see the same movie! She was PHENOMENAL and Oscar-worthy! The critics had reservations about the movie, some of which I shared, but they LOVED her performance. She got rave reviews. Your opinion is not shared by a majority of actual academy members. She is also an Oscar winner already. She shows incredible range as Aretha Franklin, with too many standout scenes to mention all of them. It’s a superb performance!

I don’t think Jessica Chastain will get a nomination. She is wonderful but the movie isn’t good. She has been left off the list for all of her performances since Zero Dark Thirty.

What –

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

wait, is Gaga in HoG questioned because her role isn’t a singing one? That’s a very strange argument against her potential nomination. Alsol, eevryone can see she looks great in the movie. Her comic timing is on point.

Viewing 15 posts - 151 through 165 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.