Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 505 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
kallewickans_3
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

Colman is unlikely to win SAG (film may not be everyone’s cup of tea) and the BAFTA jury hates her.

She can be nominated if she places top 2 in the first round, voted for by the acting chapter.

FYC: Passing, The Power of the Dog

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

She can be nominated if she places top 2 in the first round of voting by the acting chapter.

That’s true but do you think a movie which is “supposedly” not everyone’s cup of tea make it to the top 2 ?

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

My current predictions:

Olivia Colman, The Lost Daughter
    Lady Gaga, House of Gucci
    Jennifer Hudson, Respect
    Frances McDormand, The Tragedy of Macbeth
    Kristen Stewart, Spencer

A few other possibilities:

Catriona Balfe, Belfast (could be moved to supporting)
    Penelope Cruz, Parallel Mothers
    Emilia Jones, CODA
    Nicole Kidman, Becoming the Ricardos
    Tessa Thompson, Passing

I don’t see it happening:

Jessica Chastain, The Eyes of Tammy Faye (my thinking is that while she is the entire reason to see the movie it’s just not a good enough movie and there is so much competition in this category this year. She has missed several times since her last nomination).

I will need to see Nightmare Alley and see if Cate Blanchett’s role has been expanded and therefore belongs in lead. In both the novel and the 1947 film her character is definitely a supporting one.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

1- Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter 2- Kristen Stewart – Spencer 3- Lady Gaga – House of Gucci 4- Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of MacBeth 5- Tessa Thompson – Passing

thats a pretty cool line up. Kidman or Blanchett are on the way though. Its a battle of the redhead biopics with her and Chastain. If kidman gets raves then she’s getting nominated.

Does anyone see a scenario where Kristen wouldn’t even be nominated!? I think that’s the only snub that would really piss me off. You can’t get raves like that, be as famous and kinda “due” as she is and not be nominated, right? 💀

Profile picture
    Rynd_Rawikara
    Topics:

Stewart can win CC and BAFTA but I doubt the movie is as well appealing for her to win SAG.

I’m more confident in Stewart winning SAG than her winning BAFTA

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

Just watched Jennifer Hudson in Respect. Yall were doing too much. A Razzie? Really? lol

Jennifer was actually good, and this is without a doubt her best performance. Idk if she’s getting into the top 5, but it wouldn’t surprise me if she did. The movie was by the numbers, but most biopics are…and it was a nice film…with some very good performances. Jennifer didn’t quite sound like Aretha in some parts, but she sang her heart out.

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

thats a pretty cool line up. Kidman or Blanchett are on the way though. Its a battle of the redhead biopics with her and Chastain. If kidman gets raves then she’s getting nominated.

Does anyone see a scenario where Kristen wouldn’t even be nominated!? I think that’s the only snub that would really piss me off. You can’t get raves like that, be as famous and kinda “due” as she is and not be nominated, right? 💀

It wouldn’t suprise me stranger things have happened and it will be an uphill battle for her

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

It wouldn’t suprise me stranger things have happened and it will be an uphill battle for her

why will it be an uphill battle for her?

Profile picture
    Chris Beachum
    Topics:

You can watch all the 21st century Best Actress Oscar speeches here:

https://www.goldderby.com/feature/best-actress-oscar-winners-21st-century-watch-1204487463/

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

1. Kristen Stewart

2. Frances Mcdormand

3. Olivia Colman

4. Penelope Cruz

5. Blanchett Kidman Berry

I hope one of my 3 queens get the last spot
    We shall see how Halle mma fighter (sport movie) will stand up against the biopics.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I can see Chastain win the SAG. I doubt she’ll win the BAFTA or CC. Stewart can win CC and BAFTA but I doubt the movie is as well appealing for her to win SAG. Colman is unlikely to win SAG (film may not be everyone’s cup of tea) and the BAFTA jury hates her. Gaga can win SAG but I doubt she’ll be nominated for the BAFTA.

This sounds reasonable but then we got this:

The U.K.’s Guardian: Where Does the Oscar Race Stand After This Year’s Big Festivals? The Guardian’s Benjamin Lee offers what he calls “seven safe-ish nominee bets.” Will Smith – best actor, King Richard Penélope Cruz – best actress, Parallel Mothers Kenneth Branagh – best director, Belfast Joaquin Phoenix – best actor, C’mon C’mon Olivia Colman – best actress, The Lost Daughter Jane Campion – best director, The Power of the Dog Jessica Chastain – best actress, The Eyes of Tammy Faye

Credit: kbc, Picture/Director thread

A UK trade calls Chastain safe-ish but not Stewart. Hmmm. Perhaps we are underestimating the former’s chances with BAFTA and overestimating the latter’s. Mind you, it’s just one trade so it may not refelect on the overall British industry but it’s rather unexpected.

What some people are missing is that Chastain has a classic bait role in a very traditional bait movie without weird/artsy/offbeat/other “straying” that could confuse/polarize/put off majority of voters. A generally agreable movie. What Judy was, for example. So that’s easier to vote for than something whose style turns you off even if you are in awe of the central performance.

Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

That’s true but do you think a movie which is “supposedly” not everyone’s cup of tea make it to the top 2 ?

I think she has a good chance of getting in, considering how well-liked she is over at her home turf. (And I admit I’m biased ok haha).

FYC: Passing, The Power of the Dog

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

Credit: kbc, Picture/Director thread A UK trade calls Chastain safe-ish but not Stewart. Hmmm. Perhaps we are underestimating the former’s chances with BAFTA and overestimating the latter’s. Mind you, it’s just one trade so it may not refelect on the overall British industry but it’s rather unexpected. What some people are missing is that Chastain has a classic bait role in a very traditional bait movie without weird/artsy/offbeat/other “straying” that could confuse/polarize/put off majority of voters. A generally agreable movie. What Judy was, for example. So that’s easier to vote for than something whose style turns you off even if you are in awe of the central performance.

In the actual article they are doubtful at “Spencer”’s potential in Best Picture and other categories (“it enraptured as much as it enraged”), but they say about Stewart that “most agree that Stewart has cemented her place as a best actress nominee, her first to date”. In that list at the bottom, Joaquin Phoenix is far from safe (I have him at 5th spot, but I’m not sure).

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

I personally think that the Twilight stigma is still going to follow her. Like within the Academy people will still have that and other not so great performances in mind. It’s her narrative that could get in the way of a nom/win. This isn’t my thoughts/prediction, it is just what I think could justify her possibly missing out. (I think thats what this person means).

what narrative.   You mean Twilight?

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.