Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
kallewickans_3
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I personally think that the Twilight stigma is still going to follow her. Like within the Academy people will still have that and other not so great performances in mind. It’s her narrative that could get in the way of a nom/win. This isn’t my thoughts/prediction, it is just what I think could justify her possibly missing out. (I think thats what this person means).

Why would Twilight still be a stigma? It’s a franchise. There are more actors in various franchises than those who are not and not all of them are amazing or whatever. Oscar winners Theron and Mirren are slumming it in Fast&Furious franchises and no one takes that against them. Oscar nominee Kirby was in MI and F&F spin-off respectively. It’s a long list.

KStew began as a child actress, was in a franchise that made her a household name, reinvented herself as an indie queen. Nothing to scoff about. If she missed it would be down to her movie’s potential lack of appeal rather than Twilight past.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Is Prince William still President of BAFTA? If so and Spencer rubs his family the wrong way I wouldn’t be surprised to see the film shut out completely…then again, they might enjoy the publicity?

FYC:

Virginie Efira, Charlotte Rampling, Lambert Wilson Benedetta (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Noomi Rapace Lamb (Actress)
    Kristen Stewart, Sally Hawkins, Timothy Spall Spencer (Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Penelope Cruz, Israel Elejalde, Milena Smit, Julieta Serrano, Rossy de Palma Madres Paralelas (Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress)
    Jim Broadbent, Helen Mirren The Duke (Actor/Supporting Actress)

Profile picture
    anonymous1313
    Topics:

what narrative. You mean Twilight?

Yes. It’s not my opinion though. If you put yourself in the shoes of the Academy that could be something that crosses their mind. I mean she’s had good performances since then, but they still have paid her dust. This is what most people are saying. I like Twilight, so this is not me hating on her. I just think that’s a possibility.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

But did AMPAS pay attention to Twilight outside of “that made money”? Surely not as in-depth as the fans and detractors.

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

The stigma for Stewart being a bad actress definitely exists, but if anything, I think that helps her. She has been awarded for her roles in indie movies, but most of that is unknown to the GP. This is different, this is Princess Diana, the visibility now is huge. And that’s a narrative: “wow, I didn’t know she could do that!”

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

The surprise factor definitely helps Stewart. Also, she comes out as cool and approachable.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

Rewatched the passing trailer Tessa looks amazing.

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

I always thought Tessa looked amazing but Ruth had all my attention but i went a looked back at the passing trailer and Tessa performance is about to eat also.

Profile picture
    CarlosEdu21
    Topics:

1. Kristen Stewart – Spencer
    2. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter
    3. Penélope Cruz – Parallels Mothers
    4. Tessa Thompson – Passing
    5. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

In terms of contenders with a “stigma,” it might apply more to Dornan off 50 Shades. People know Stewart is more than just Twilight at this point.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

neither has stigma. AMPAS doesn’t consist only of elite than never starred in one crap let alone a number of bad to mediocre movies. If performance is good they’ll vote for it. Much worse than bad filmography is bad behavior. Rough up someone in full view, lose the Oscar. Walk off a movie cause you didn’t like the accomodation, lose Emmy nom. Be a known jerk, lose a nomination/win. Industry talks and bad behavior is something that a star should control but didn’t while bad movies mostly aren’t in one’s control. You gotta eat so you take a paycheck job. You thought X would turn out well but it turned into s***. It’s part of the business.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Yes. It’s not my opinion though. If you put yourself in the shoes of the Academy that could be something that crosses their mind. I mean she’s had good performances since then, but they still have paid her dust. This is what most people are saying. I like Twilight, so this is not me hating on her. I just think that’s a possibility.

in tiny indies mostly.  Plus it’s not like they all didn’t notice her raves for the Assayas films. She just needed the right movie backed by a studio that knows how to and who can can afford launch a campaign

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

In terms of contenders with a “stigma,” it might apply more to Dornan off 50 Shades. People know Stewart is more than just Twilight at this point.

and she worked with a fair amount of the Academy even before Twilight, which by the way was an exception for kristen who always did indies. It just took over her life for a long time.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I’ve watched the “I wanna put my arm around you” clip from Tammy Faye twice. That could be her Oscar clip. I know the entire movie is Oscar clips cropped together and I haven’t seen the movie, but this particular scene stands out from the rest that I have seen. I don’t think voters will watch that scene and still deny her the nomination. She was amazing.

Laga Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

The stigma for Stewart being a bad actress definitely exists, but if anything, I think that helps her. She has been awarded for her roles in indie movies, but most of that is unknown to the GP. This is different, this is Princess Diana, the visibility now is huge. And that’s a narrative: “wow, I didn’t know she could do that!”

Where? There are some mean comments every once in a while mostly by trolls online, but the film industry knows it better, and they worked with her in numerous projects.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Viewing 15 posts - 271 through 285 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.