Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
4 weeks ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
kallewickans_3
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    Topics:

REALLY? … Chastain is WINNING if you ask me. Actors will rally behind this performance in a big way (and they’re the biggest branch of voters in the Academy). She’s brilliant, transformative and transcendent in the role and the film is really good too…. I think Stewart’s nomination will be all she gets. That film is gonna be very divisive (just like “Jackie”). Mark my words. And that’s no disrespect to Stewart who I’m sure is great in the role.

I’m just curious as to who will join them. My current thoughts are now McDormand, Hudson and Colman…. with Gaga and Cruz not far behind.

Chastain’s film really bombed at the box office this weekend and its reviews average on rotten tomatoes is only at 65 percent positive. (generally considered too low for a win.)

I don’t think Chastain can win what with Spencer getting raves for both the film and the performance. (and Nicole Kidman is looking stronger every minute but I don’t think she’ll win unless the film is a major hit.)

Profile picture
    VanRoberts
    Topics:

LOL, I can’t wait untill the buzz on Nicole Kidman’s performance explodes.

One of the greatest of the last 10 years.

Profile picture
    UmOkaaayyyyy
    Topics:

People, box office means NOTHING this year in terms of winning an Oscar…
    Industry voters will still see everything award worthy (we have links and screenings aplenty) … And the guild screenings for “Tammy Faye” are doing very well (especially with SAG).

Profile picture
    VanRoberts
    Topics:

Yeah, we are still in a pandemic. It’s going to be about screeners again.

Profile picture
    Hawk
    Topics:

This category seems so damn packed! I have no idea what I’m gonna end up doing, especially if McDormand, Blanchett, and Balfe all go lead…

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

LOL, I can’t wait untill the buzz on Nicole Kidman’s performance explodes.

One of the greatest of the last 10 years.

You’ve seen it?

Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

Yeah, we are still in a pandemic. It’s going to be about screeners again.

Screeners were a thing long before Covid lol, The Silence of the Lambs is the first to ever bombard voters with tapes (VHS) back in the days.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Chastain’s film really bombed at the box office this weekend and its reviews average on rotten tomatoes is only at 65 percent positive. (generally considered too low for a win.) I don’t think Chastain can win what with Spencer getting raves for both the film and the performance. (and Nicole Kidman is looking stronger every minute but I don’t think she’ll win unless the film is a major hit.)

This is exactly why I mentioned that people seem to mention only the negative in Chastain’s chances. 65% on Rotten Tomatoes is not an issue. Andra Day got in with 56% just last year. Many contenders actually won with such score.

Secondly, this box office argument is tired. It’s irrelevant when the film has a 88% audience ratings among general audience, a 3.44 rating among cinephiles (once again, Tammy is stronger on Letterboxd than Parallel Mothers or The Lost Daughter). The movie is actually liked by its audience. Small or big.

So at the end of the day, the facts are these:

1. We have a talented, hard-working actress who has been doing outstanding work for a decade now.

2. Tammy Faye‘s reception is not great, not good, it’s average.

3. Jessica Chastain’s role is everything an Oscar voter would like. Famous person (yes, she is famous, and no it doesn’t matter if British people doesn’t know her), transformative (makeup), showy and baity (singing-dancing-crying-shouting).

4. The actress’ performance is raved to heavens. Even by those who disliked the movie.

5. Once again box office doesn’t matter. Yes, it’s a flop in that department, but its audience ratings show that it can still find its audience, and all the movie and Chastain needs is to be seen by the Academy voters.

All in all, Chastain is a strong bet for the nomination, you like it or not.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

My Prediction:
    1. Kristen Stewart
    2. Penélope Cruz
    3. Frances McDormand
    4. Tessa Thompson
    5. Jessica Chastain

6. Olivia Colman
    7. Nicole Kidman
    8. Lady Gaga
    9. Jennifer Hudson
    10. Halle Berry

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

I don’t love or hate Chastain per se. I don’t like that performances with heavy prosthetics and make-up are raved disproportionally compared to other more naturalistic performances. Most performances of that kind went on to win Oscars, it’s true, but when you look back at them very few of them are truly memorable behind the heavy make-up.

About box office: I’m new to following Oscar races this close, but it seems to me that good box office leads to people talking longer about your movie that leads to more buzz that leads to more Academy members watching your movie that leads to an Oscar nomination. I don’t think that industry people automatically watch all the screeners and links they receive, or do they?

Profile picture
    QueenSansa
    Topics:

I love Chastain and want her to win an Oscar someday, but if she wins for Tammy Faye then I don’t think it would age well at all. Especially considering the alternatives.

I think she excels at comedy and should do more of it. My favourite performance from her is The Help.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Not sure if winning is on the table atp.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain just won the Silver Shell Award for Best Actress at the San Sebastián Film Festival. It’s the first American actress that wins the award since Melissa Leo won it with Frozen River.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

About box office: I’m new to following Oscar races this close, but it seems to me that good box office leads to people talking longer about your movie that leads to more buzz that leads to more Academy members watching your movie that leads to an Oscar nomination. I don’t think that industry people automatically watch all the screeners and links they receive, or do they?

The way I see it is that none of the potential Oscar nominees can beat Kristen Stewart when it comes to being talked about and buzz. Well except Lady Gaga of course but it’s yet to be revealed if she will be in the running. Kristen doesn’t have public social media and I don’t think she is going to beg for it. She promotes her movies but she never seems super thirsty for the limelight. Whereas I think Chastain will go all out but I don’t think there is that same desire from the public to have her win? As much as Kristen has her stale old naysayers, judging by social media comments there is a lot of people rooting for her. Twihards are older now but this seems to be reactivating them 😂.

That said, the public doesn’t chose the winners and Chastain seems very friendly with a lot of her peers and seems much more of a schmoozer that Kristen. Although she has worked with a lot of people too and seems to be well liked by her peers. If it does come down to these 2 it could be close.

I don’t think Frances will win again. I hope not 😶

Colman I can’t see winning either.

Cruz I’m not sure about. She might be seen to be due again?

I’m pretty shocked that Jhud isnt a stronger consideration. I haven’t seen the movie but I even saw black twitter kind of shading her performance. That’s not a good sign. I thought she would have been a lock.

Gaga’s role seems kind of controversial. Its a real life assassination so it’s a hard movie to promote. People will want her to camp it up but she still has to be respectful to the family and victim. I’m interested to see what the reaction will be.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

LOL, I can’t wait untill the buzz on Nicole Kidman’s performance explodes. One of the greatest of the last 10 years.

did you see it? I did not like her casting as Lucille but I’m all for people surprising me. People never thought Kristen was going to do Diana justice either.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.