Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 505 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +11 hidden )
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
kallewickans_3
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Oh and I’m sad you are so low about McCarthy. By far the best nominee that year, although Colman is close.

Oh I’m not low on her. I thought she was incredible, but I found her to be just outside my top 5 when I made it at the end of the year. For me it was Mulligan, Aparicio, Colman, Collette, Close and now that I’m reminded of Mulligan I realize that my ballot would’ve snubbed Hall & McCarthy and I WOULD NOT have been happy about it.

I think this was the first year since 2011 where we could have had a whole lineup of incredible winners, the only difference being that 2011 didn’t nominate a single one of them (Swinton, Dunst, Olsen, Oduye, Paquin, Theron, Colman, Jung-hee…..holy moly this year was so brilliant).

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Oh I’m not low on her. I thought she was incredible, but I found her to be just outside my top 5 when I made it at the end of the year. For me it was Mulligan, Aparicio, Colman, Collette, Close and now that I’m reminded of Mulligan I realize that my ballot would’ve snubbed Hall & McCarthy and I WOULD NOT have been happy about it. I think this was the first year since 2011 where we could have had a whole lineup of incredible winners, the only difference being that 2011 didn’t nominate a single one of them (Swinton, Dunst, Olsen, Oduye, Paquin, Theron, Colman, Jung-hee…..holy moly this year was so brilliant).

I had

Weisz (Colman in supporting), Gyllenhaal, Gaga, Hall and McCarthy. 🙂

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Topics:

This is exactly why I mentioned that people seem to mention only the negative in Chastain’s chances. 65% on Rotten Tomatoes is not an issue. Andra Day got in with 56% just last year. Many contenders actually won with such score.

Secondly, this box office argument is tired. It’s irrelevant when the film has a 88% audience ratings among general audience, a 3.44 rating among cinephiles (once again, Tammy is stronger on Letterboxd than Parallel Mothers or The Lost Daughter). The movie is actually liked by its audience. Small or big.

So at the end of the day, the facts are these:

1. We have a talented, hard-working actress who has been doing outstanding work for a decade now.

2. Tammy Faye‘s reception is not great, not good, it’s average.

3. Jessica Chastain’s role is everything an Oscar voter would like. Famous person (yes, she is famous, and no it doesn’t matter if British people doesn’t know her), transformative (makeup), showy and baity (singing-dancing-crying-shouting).

4. The actress’ performance is raved to heavens. Even by those who disliked the movie.

5. Once again box office doesn’t matter. Yes, it’s a flop in that department, but its audience ratings show that it can still find its audience, and all the movie and Chastain needs is to be seen by the Academy voters.

All in all, Chastain is a strong bet for the nomination, you like it or not.

A nomination yes. A win..no.

And the transformation argument seems weak for me. She transforms from herself but she didn’t really capture the perky giggly aspect of Tammy Faye. Her version seems too somber. Tammy Faye was always kind of cutesy and silly even in her dark moments. Chastain is too sedate. (a problem she often faces. I thought she was too bland and low key in Zero Dark Thirty too. That was meaty stuff but she seemed to hold back emotionally from it.)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Transformative is def. one of the ways as many nominees/winners are transformative. I’m not sure if it will ever change. But yeah, it’s nice to see more human, subtle turns making the cut as well. Affleck, McDormand, Ahmed, Negga etc. were all deserving.

I do think it’s worth considering the change because it’s actually not always been this way! Katharine Hepburn, Glenda Jackson, Vivien Leigh, Olivia de Havilland weren’t especially “transformative” actors, Bette Davis was…but perhaps not by modern standards, and Meryl Streep came to embody that. Still, through the 1960s to the 1980s, you have actresses winning where their public personas and their performances weren’t THAT distinct.

Sally Field in Norma Rae, Meryl Streep in Sophie’s Choice sort of brought the gritty transformation or the accent-work that many other winners didn’t, but even then it was rare for a winner to be caked in makeup to look totally different the way the 2000s saw them! In that sense, Theron, Roberts, Kidman, Swank were fairly new kinds of winners relative to most past winners. I often think of it as a Streep-ification because few people transformed as often as she did.

And it’s one of the reasons Kristen Stewart and Frances McDormand at such different stages have always seemed like throwback actors to me. They never totally separate themselves, and that used to be a GOOD thing.

Now Streep struggles to get nomimated and naturalistic performances are getting in more. I think it’s important to note these changes, it’s been happening for some years now.

FYC:

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

^^^ I thought Bette Davis was considered to be the first transformative actress?

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

FWIW: I think Gaga in ASIB is also an example of AMPAS not caring much about the distinctness between the actor and character. I’m not hot on the performance but it was a lot more naturalistic than it was transformational. I’m not sure it would’ve ever been able to even be talked about as possible for a win in the peak of “transformations” next to, say, Theron in Monster. And I’m saying this about a performance I don’t even particularly like lol

FYC:

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Now Streep struggles to get nomimated

WHAT!?

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

^^^ I thought Bette Davis was considered to be the first transformative actress?

Lol yes and no, but mostly I think by modern standards she was less. She was an outrageous person to begin with so there’s that, but she actually used to get flack for trying TOO HARD with her “shtick” of transforming and those are the performances she didn’t win for.

But yes, she was heavy on that. Just…she was so larger-than-life that All About Eve for example doesn’t seem transformational at all by modern standards. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen her try as hard as Chastain has with Tammy Faye? Maybe I’m wrong about that.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

WHAT!?

Sir, this has been discussed in numerous threads in the past few years. What it means simply: as of the past few years, Streep hasn’t been getting those name-check nominations she used to. The Laundromat, Let Them All Talk, The Prom would’ve easily fit in with other nominations she’s gotten (she’s great in LTAT actually), but no dice. Even lost to Laura Dern for Big Little Lies at the Emmys, for which she became a million memes (positive). Little shift has occurred. This is not controversial.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Sir, this has been discussed in numerous threads in the past few years. What it means simply: as of the past few years, Streep hasn’t been getting those name-check nominations she used to. The Laundromat, Let Them All Talk, The Prom would’ve easily fit in with other nominations she’s gotten (she’s great in LTAT actually), but no dice. Even lost to Laura Dern for Big Little Lies at the Emmys, for which she became a million memes (positive). Little shift has occurred. This is not controversial.

Julia Garner won that year, not Dern. She was only nominated alongside Streep 🙂

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Streep has 6 nominations in the 2010s. She does not struggle to be nominated. It does not really matter how many people try to push that narrative, she is still a major Oscar favorite…

It’s not like anybody else would have gotten nominated for those movies Streep missed for anyway…

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Julia Garner won that year, not Dern. She was only nominated alongside Streep 🙂

DAAAAAAAAAMN. Go Garner! Thanks for the correction.

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

It’s not like anybody else would have gotten nominated for those movies Streep missed for anyway…

What does that have to do with anything? That’s true for the majority of films she got in for as well. It’s not as if anybody else was coming to snatch her nod for Florence Foster Jenkins or Into the Woods. She’s been the sole acting nominee for the majority of her films, particularly the ones in the 2000s (all but 3 I think?)

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Actually you’re right, I’m going to edit my post because Bette Davis really was the first transformational actress. She was the exception to the general rule, and yeah you could say she inspired the whole subsequent wave of “transformational” performances.

Still don’t think I ever saw her pull a Monster or a Tammy Faye though. Maybe Baby Jane…

FYC:

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

What happened to jhud though? Shes fallen off the map round these parts

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 505 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 17)’ is closed to new replies.