Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 19)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 19)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 521 total)
Created
3 weeks ago
Last Reply
2 weeks ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
wolfali
BigJay2012
  • Profile picture
    anonymous1313
    Topics:

I think The Last Duel will be an entertaining movie and Comer will be great, but this is not a new movie. I mean the me too aspect is a great narrative to propel this movie, but it has been criticized by people for this too. Many of the early reviews said that you could tell exactly where it was written by men and exactly where is was written by a woman. Maybe that is point because it is told through 3 different perspectives? Idk I just don’t think this movie will have the legs to be nominated above the line (except for Comer, but that is still a big if). It just doesn’t strike me as anything new. Especially from Ridley.

I am seeing it on Saturday so I hope I can develop a better taste for it after seeing it.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

It’s funny how people are trying to dismiss The Last Duel-and Comer- after the positive reviews it’s gotten. I guess many on here thought it would flop critically and now that’s not the case, they’re now bringing in other reasons to dismiss it.  Maybe wait until January for a more clearer picture on the awards race before writing anyone out? Positive reviews are important anyway when it comes to possible contenders. Films that get abysmal reviews will be forgotten about and won’t be a part of the awards conversation.

Profile picture
    Oscirus Jones
    Topics:

a lot of people really don’t want to see more women being raped though

Admittedly havent seen the movie but is the rape actually shown? Cant imagine theyd be so callous as to show it as opposed to  showing the beginning and aftermath of it.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Many of the early reviews said that you could tell exactly where it was written by men and exactly where is was written by a woman. Maybe that is point because it is told through 3 different perspectives?  

I’m sorry, but this doesn’t make sense. The whole point of Nicole Holofcener writing Comer’s part was to give it authenticity and make her character a human being (something Holofcener herself said through the press tour). The fact the first 2 chapters-which focus on Jean & Jacques- were written by men and the third was written by Holofcener isn’t a secret.

Profile picture
    anonymous1313
    Topics:

I’m sorry, but this doesn’t make sense. The whole point of Nicole Holofcener writing Comer’s part was to give it authenticity and make her character a human being (something Holofcener herself said through the press tour). The fact the first 2 chapters-which focus on Jean & Jacques- were written by men and the third was written by Holofcener isn’t a secret.

It does make sense if you read what I said. I don’t know much about this movie, I am just stating what I read in the early reviews. I literally said that I guess that was the point of having 3 different perspectives as well as 3 different writers. This was a review that I read after Venice. This is the quote from Rotten Tomatoes, “It makes a sick kind of sense that corporate Hollywood turned women’s overwhelming rage into something so reassuring, and so trite.” I believe the full review mentioned the male writing as an issue. I just want them to do justice to the central plot point of the story, and I am unsure how that will happen from what I have seen and read, which is VERY LITTLE.

I am not trying to dismiss this movie at all. I am going to pay money to see it, so it obviously interests me. I never want a movie to be bad.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Jodie Comer isn’t happening unfortunately.

Profile picture
    Synthadora
    Topics:

It’s funny how people are trying to dismiss The Last Duel-and Comer- after the positive reviews it’s gotten.

Hold the horses LA. Box office is deffo the big factor however all it needs is a strong campaign to keep the conversation flowing if the reviews hold up. However an adult movie in the medieval times based on rape was never going to make over 100m so I won’t be too fussed if it bombs, depends how bad honestly.

The truth is this movie will be seen more than half of the predicated best pictures and other above the line nominees and I remember someone saying they could tell by the trailer it would be a critical flop and his instincts are always right and hog looks good so it’s going to do well. Let’s pray for gucci.

Profile picture
    Calliee
    Topics:

Jodie Comer isn’t happening unfortunately.

Gaga stan vs the WSJ…

“Jodie Comer is a revelation. Her award-winning work in “Killing Eve”, as well as “Free Guy,” precedes her, of course, but this is something different, a movie-star performance of unusual depth and variety. As a woman presumed by the men around her to be a sex object or chattel, Ms Comer gives a heavy tale a bright, buoyant soul “

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I’m sad about there being no trailer for Bruised.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

I’m sad about there being no trailer for Bruised. [/quote

Get ready trailer for bruised tomorrow. Halle is coming. Finally there’s a light at the end of the tunnel.

Profile picture
    TrumpBiden
    Topics:

What’s up with the whole, “it’ll flop at the box-office thing.” I’ve been seeing on these boards? King Richards, Dune, The Last Duel. No shit sherlock, it’s almost as if we’re not in a pandemic and people unless it’s a big-budget superhero/actions flick won’t flock in droves. Literally almost all BP nominees won’t do amazing numbers.

Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Thank you! I’m happy now.

Just pray that bruised will be good enough. Welcome 🤗

Profile picture
    Entela
    Topics:

Just because we are in a pandemic doesn’t change the fact that these movies are bombing at the box office cause the public has zero interest to see them. People still are showing up in a pandemic to watch other movies that are doing big numbers. Just admit that most of these movies are boring and not crowd pleasers and go.

Profile picture
    lulina
    Topics:

y’all sleeping on Comer when she is really coming

Viewing 15 posts - 361 through 375 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 19)’ is closed to new replies.