Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 518 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

I’m judging Kristen Stewart’s inability to convey charisma, uniqueness, nerve, or talent. Homegirl can’t act. And non-delusional people are supposed to buy her as an Oscar frontrunner let alone a nominee? It’s rather silly.

She’s won a Cesar Award and is playing Princess Diana, one of the most iconic figures of the past half-century, in a role directed by the man behind Jackie, which secured Portman and nom and saw her give one of her best performances. She’s also in contention for the Volpi Cup, and Venice is a great springboard for an Oscar push. I think it’s totally feasible to predict her even if you don’t rate past performances.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Im still maintaining that Gaga could flop like Amy Adams last year if Gucci ended up flopping on the level of Hillbily Elegy level of flop.

And its worth noting that Ron Howard’s filmography is more consistent than those of Ridley Scott in the past 20 years (Although Howard has been on decline since Rush while Scott has The Martian and All the Money after).

On separate note, Looks like Searchlight has someone better to campaign Than Jessica Chastain. Although it seems that it would be for 2022 release, Im not surprised if Searchlight push this movie to this year to push Saoirse Ronan instead of Jessica Chastain as their second priority to Cate Blanchett in Nightmare Alley

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Although it seems that it would be for 2022 release, Im not surprised if Searchlight push this movie to this year to push Saoirse Ronan instead of Jessica Chastain as their second priority to Cate Blanchett in Nightmare Alley

No chance this happens.

Profile picture
    Igor Alves
    Topics:

1. Kristen Stewart – Spencer 2. Cate Blanchett – Nightmare Alley 3. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth 4. Jennifer Hudson – Respect 5. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci I could see Hudson or Gaga missing but I don’t have a reason to leave them out for now. Winning two years in a row is extremely difficult, so I don’t see McDormand taking it. That leaves Blanchett and Stewart. Blanchett could happen as her role is apparently baitty as hell. The big thing though is that Nightmare Alley smells like The Irishman/Trial of the Chicago 7 to me where it starts out as an early frontrunner and gets a solid nomination haul but ultimately doesn’t win anything. I think Blanchett is probably the film’s best shot at winning anything. I’ve already explained why Stewart is my frontrunner multiple times, and I think so long as she delivers she’s gonna be in the conversation (and seriously, do NOT underestimate her having a BAFTA advantage in a Colman/Close situation it happens too often to not consider it)

Stewart has another advantage imo, assuming Spencer delivers, that her film has all kinds of appeal. Meaning, it is high-brow enough for her to contend for critics awards, it is indie enough for her to contend for spirits/gotham, it is british enough for her to contend for the BAFTAs. And ofc it is still a biopic about an icon so it also appeals to SAG and Oscars. So she could build a lot of momentum if she gets raves and the film is good.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

She’s won a Cesar Award and is playing Princess Diana, one of the most iconic figures of the past half-century, in a role directed by the man behind Jackie, which secured Portman and nom and saw her give one of her best performances.

A) There are a lot of BAD actors who win prizes & awards. Winning a trophy isn’t indicative of a performer’s talent.

B) Kristen Stewart has proven she isn’t capable of delivering transformative biographical performances (i.e. The Runaways & Seberg).

C) Kristen Stewart is NOT the caliber actress that Natalie Portman is! There’s no comparison. Portman is versatile, powerful, & emotive. Stewart is not.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

AW believes Kirsten Dunst will go supporting in their new Best Actress article just released.

https://awardswatch.com/2022-oscar-predictions-best-actress-july/

This category placement is going to be a volleying question for a while. Netflix is gonna fuck around to find out what’s best lol. One day lead looks weaker (today it looks weak!), another day supporting looks weaker. Supporting is much more likely for the win if Cumberbatch is also winning.

Bit of a shame because Conroy in particular could have a Laura Dern-like run. Except she’s not Laura Dern and doesn’t have a Big Little Lies success on her back, in which case…lol I guess it does make sense.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

A) There are a lot of BAD actors who win prizes & awards. Winning a trophy isn’t indicative of a performer’s talent

Yeah but I mean, we are talking about who’s gonna win an award, ultimately.

We can’t really make judgements on the performance yet because nobody’s seen it, I’m just saying she’s worth considering because she has a festival premiere, a good release date, is playing an icon, has a proven director on the project and has a decent distributor. Not many have that combination behind them and that’s primarily what we have to use to judge award chances at this stage. The images released have generated lots of attention too, which bodes well for the film if it turns out good.

I get you don’t like her, but there’s a clear set of factors behind her that gives her a good shot whether you’re a fan of hers or not.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Folx please don’t be gluttons for punishment. Diamond Tier and others’ Kristen Stewart-hatred has spun everyone in wheels for pages, can we not let it overcome everything for the 50th time? I’m skeptical despite really liking Stewart (not just for the Diana-Corrin issue, I’m very skeptical of Steven Knight as well), but they make it pretty tiresome to engage anything regarding Spencer on here.

It’s hard to convince people who aren’t here to actually discuss.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Folx please don’t be gluttons for punishment. Diamond Tier’s Kristen Stewart-hatred has spun everyone in wheels for pages, can we not let it overcome everything for the 50th time? I’m skeptical despite really liking Stewart (not just for the Diana-Corrin issue, I’m very skeptical of Steven Knight as well), but they make it pretty tiresome to engage anything regarding Spencer on here.

Don’t you have another 50 paragraph long post to write about how you’ve read TPOTD 10,000 times? Literally NO ONE cares. Join a book club LOL

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Yeah but I mean, we are talking about who’s gonna win an award, ultimately.

We can’t really make judgements on the performance yet because nobody’s seen it, I’m just saying she’s worth considering because she has a festival premiere, a good release date, is playing an icon, has a proven director on the project and has a decent distributor. Not many have that combination behind them and that’s primarily what we have to use to judge award chances at this stage. The images released have generated lots of attention too, which bodes well for the film if it turns out good.

I get you don’t like her, but there’s a clear set of factors behind her that gives her a good shot whether you’re a fan of hers or not.

There is no precedent to suggest Kristen Stewart will ever be an Oscar nominee, let alone a winner. As far as we know, voters might not take her seriously. Outside of delusional fandoms, she isn’t known as a great actress. Homegirl would need to be undeniable in order to be a frontrunner. Based on her track record, that isn’t happening. Especially NOT for a biopic on Princess Diana. No sir.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

The idea that someone can’t win or be nominated because you don’t like them or their performance and refusing to predict them because of it is bullshit. I personally thought Renee Zellweger was awful in Judy, but I predicted her because I didn’t have a choice. What was I gonna do, get a prediction wrong? Plus, not everyone thinks the same of Kristen Stewart as you do. Not everyone thinks the same of Renee in Judy as I do. Putting your opinions aside is important

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

mI personally thought Renee Zellweger was awful in Judy, but I predicted her because I didn’t have a choice.

You. Cannot. Compare. Renée. Zellweger. To. Kristen. Stewart. This is where the discussion loses me.

By the time Judy released, Zellweger had already built a reputation for herself as a transformative actress who is respected, highly acclaimed, & awarded.

Kristen Stewart has NONE of that. She’ll need to overcome bias & skepticism in order to achieve frontrunner status. Homegirl is NOT an undeniable talent or reigning “it” girl to beat out the likes of Frances McDormand or Cate Blanchett.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I like Stewart but she is not seen as a good actress by a lot of people in America. She’s only a darling to her fans and art house directors. I wish her luck of course but she does have an uphill climb. She’ll have to give a damn near perfect performance.

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Nice to see this year’s thread is already living up to previous Actress threads.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

She’s won a Cesar Award and is playing Princess Diana, one of the most iconic figures of the past half-century, in a role directed by the man behind Jackie, which secured Portman and nom and saw her give one of her best performances. She’s also in contention for the Volpi Cup, and Venice is a great springboard for an Oscar push. I think it’s totally feasible to predict her even if you don’t rate past performances.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Viewing 15 posts - 211 through 225 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.