Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 521 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Music Forever
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

At this point, I’d say Jennifer Hudson has a better chance of winning critic awards than any of the ladies that keep getting mentioned. She’s playing an icon, a LEGEND, doing her own vocals. The film absolutely does not have to be a contender.

Exactly! The film will be a hit with audiences too unlike Spencer which may go the same way of Jackie. The role and performance is just many times more baity. She could easily be this years Renee Zelweger.

Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

If Power of the Dog is a contender, Dunst could Seyfried herself to a nomination.

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

If Power of the Dog is a contender, Dunst could Seyfried herself to a nomination.

This isn’t the best comparison. Seyfried had a small role in Mank, whereas Dunst is essentially a co-lead with Cumberbatch. I think she has a shot at a nomination regardless of the films strength overall.

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

It worked for Renee. She was a previous winner. Her film was decent, not great. Her movie also had a weak release date. It wasn’t great at the box office and yet she went on to win nearly every critic award. Renee had strong competition that year as well.

What. Renee did not win almost every critic award, what are you talking about? She won 4 critics awards (I believe Atlanta, Kansas City, London, and Phoenix), and none of them were the 3 biggest ones. And her competition was not amazingly strong. Theron and Erivo had movies about as weak as Judy, Johansson was seen as the person who got the third-most awards attention from her film, and Ronan did not have a traditional awards win role. I don’t think that Zellweger would have beaten Olivia Colman in 2018 Frances McDormand in 2017, Emma Stone in 2016, Brie Larson in 2015, Cate Blanchett in 2013, Jennifer Lawrence in 2012, Meryl Streep in 2011, or Natalie Portman in 2010. 2019 is probably the second-weakest year for Best Actress of the 2010s when it comes to the win contenders.

At this point, I’d say Jennifer Hudson has a better chance of winning critic awards than any of the ladies that keep getting mentioned. She’s playing an icon, a LEGEND, doing her own vocals. The film absolutely does not have to be a contender.

Movies like this rarely win much at the critics awards. Unlike the Academy, critics groups really do not have any bias towards biopics of famous people. And she doesn’t even have the biggest famous person biopic in the category.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson is not winning critics awards for Respect, come on. I agree that she makes a lot of sense as a nominee, but she’s not going to win unless her movie is actually a contender for nominations in other major categories or her competition is weak.

lol yeah I don’t see her being a critics fave at all. I see her making it to the all the televised award shows but not critics groups. Critics groups often get behind underdogs or perceived underdogs! See: Toni Collette in Hereditary, Ethan Hawke in First Reformed. Critics groups got Riz Ahmed & Paul Raci to their nominations. They gave huge boosts to Carey Mulligan, Yuh-Jung Youn, Maria Bakalova. Hudson can win, I do not doubt that. But critics groups? No. Tessa Thompson, Kristen Stewart, Olivia Colman maybe. Not Hudson.

And that’s fine because I’m not sure she needs critics group awards (she needs good reviews, that’s a different matter altogether)

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Movies like this rarely win much at the critics awards. Unlike the Academy, critics groups really do not have any bias towards biopics of famous people. And she doesn’t even have the biggest famous person biopic in the category.

I agree with everything you said, but who’s more famous? Are you alluding to Stewart’s Diana? Ana de Armas’ Marilyn Monroe seems…unlikely.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Kaguya-hime
    Topics:

I agree with everything you said, but who’s more famous? Are you alluding to Stewart’s Diana? Ana de Armas’ Marilyn Monroe seems…unlikely.

I think Stewart could win some of the critics awards and is certainly much more likely to than Hudson.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think Stewart could win some of the critics awards and is certainly much more likely to than Hudson.

Ah okay. I was just wondering who you meant. I agree. If Spencer hits, yep.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Respect smells like Harriet 2.0 to me. Actress nomination and maybe a Song nomination, but the competition is too strong and the film doesn’t have the buzz to get her to a win. I understand that Hudson will be showier than Erivo, but being showy and doing your own vocals doesn’t always help you, look at Andra Day last year. Hell, even Viola Davis couldn’t do it and Ma Rainey’s came close to a Picture nomination and won two Oscars. If the movie is seen and the reviews are strong, then I’ll take her more seriously for a win, but for now I can’t really see it.

And I certainly don’t think Hudson will sweep critics’ awards. Renee didn’t have strong competition as not everyone saw Little Women, ScarJo wasn’t campaigning nor did she ever have the buzz that Driver got, and everyone else was either just not good enough to win. The only other one who won awards was Lupita, and she unfortunately couldn’t get a nomination. If Judy came out in 2018 and was going up against Olivia Colman, she’d be complete toast

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

Just because you read a book 10,000 times doesn’t mean the film version won’t change the story or structure around. Dunst could go Supporting (as far as we know). Maybe wait until the film is released before insisting otherwise.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I have a feeling Dunst will go Supporting and win there. I haven’t read the book or the script, but that just feels like something Netflix would do. But I’m sure it depends on how much Campion changed the story and her character.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I think its worth noting that Renee Zellweger was one of the biggest female movie star in 2000s so there was that kind of comeback narrative.

Hudson is also an extremely famous in her own right (an Oscar winner, also) but in movies, Zellweger is definetly the bigger name.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    winslets
    Topics:

Benedict Cumberbatch and @kirstendunst lead Jane Campion’s drama about two brothers whose lives change when a widow and her son arrive at their ranch. Catch the Canadian Premiere of THE POWER OF THE DOG at #TIFF21. http://bit.ly/3i6aPQu

The TIFF description cites Dunst as Lead.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 521 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.