Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 518 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

A TIFF description is not indicative of Dunst’s awards placement. Benedict & Kirsten are the biggest names attached to TPOTD. That will bring in potential viewers hence why they were included.

Profile picture
    Linn Ng
    Topics:

Seyfried having absolutely no hype but praying for her and the movie, A Mouthful of Air!

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

A TIFF description is not indicative of Dunst’s awards placement. Benedict & Kirsten are the biggest names attached to TPOTD. That will bring in potential viewers hence why they were included.

I think it indicates we’re probably looking at a co-lead situation in the film itself but you’re right in saying it’s not indicative of awards placement because they will go with the placement that is likeliest to win them the award, unless she’s completely undeniably a lead (even that isn’t necessarily a guarantee – as Rooney Mara proves). Every year has a fraudulent placement (or four) and I wouldn’t be surprised if Dunst ended up being one.

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

I have a feeling Dunst will go Supporting and win there. I haven’t read the book or the script, but that just feels like something Netflix would do. But I’m sure it depends on how much Campion changed the story and her character.

I really don’t think a Jane Campion Movie won’t have a strong female lead. If it’s one thing she’s knows for is STRONG pathbreaking female leads (Holly Hunter in The Piano, Nicole Kidman in Portrait of a Lady, Kate Winslet in Holy Smoke and Elisabeth Moss in Top Of The Lake). I’ve watched all of them and frankly all are Oscar/Emmy worthy (ofc Hunter’s is a legendary performance). These performances are usually very controversial and break barriers. Tense,life altering,intimate conflicts of The Paino, manipulation and defying norms in Portrait of a lady, an intense cult exploration in Holy Smoke and obsession and mystics in Top of the lake. I bet Dunst will have a very bold,intense and challenging role .

Hence, it would be really really strange if Dunst is supporting. It would be like saying an Aaron Sorkin movie will be slow paced.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1420429998184357895

Bruised is going to theaters before hitting Netflix

Halle Berry is coming ?

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

No. Apparently only Kirsten Dunst & Kristen Stewart are coming lol Every other contender is a non-factor 😂

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

No. Apparently only Kirsten Dunst & Kristen Stewart are coming lol Every other contender is a non-factor 😂

as it should be

Profile picture
    2020felling1
    Topics:

Guys, what is the link to get in the AW forum?

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FilmUpdates/status/1420429998184357895 Bruised is going to theaters before hitting Netflix Halle Berry is coming ?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember the reactions from TIFF last year being very strong. Unless they re-edited the film I don’t think she’ll be a very big player

I really don’t think a Jane Campion Movie won’t have a strong female lead. If it’s one thing she’s knows for is STRONG pathbreaking female leads (Holly Hunter in The Piano, Nicole Kidman in Portrait of a Lady, Kate Winslet in Holy Smoke and Elisabeth Moss in Top Of The Lake). I’ve watched all of them and frankly all are Oscar/Emmy worthy (ofc Hunter’s is a legendary performance). These performances are usually very controversial and break barriers. Tense,life altering,intimate conflicts of The Paino, manipulation and defying norms in Portrait of a lady, an intense cult exploration in Holy Smoke and obsession and mystics in Top of the lake. I bet Dunst will have a very bold,intense and challenging role . Hence, it would be really really strange if Dunst is supporting. It would be like saying an Aaron Sorkin movie will be slow paced.

That makes sense. I’ll keep her in Supporting until I or we get official confirmation, but I’ll be honest I don’t think she can win in Lead unless the other contenders (Stewart, Hudson, de Armas, etc) aren’t strong enough and Cumberbatch is also not winning in Lead. If she’s in Supporting, she’ll win easily

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think it indicates we’re probably looking at a co-lead situation in the film itself but you’re right in saying it’s not indicative of awards placement because they will go with the placement that is likeliest to win them the award, unless she’s completely undeniably a lead (even that isn’t necessarily a guarantee – as Rooney Mara proves). Every year has a fraudulent placement (or four) and I wouldn’t be surprised if Dunst ended up being one.

I really don’t think a Jane Campion Movie won’t have a strong female lead. If it’s one thing she’s knows for is STRONG pathbreaking female leads (Holly Hunter in The Piano, Nicole Kidman in Portrait of a Lady, Kate Winslet in Holy Smoke and Elisabeth Moss in Top Of The Lake). I’ve watched all of them and frankly all are Oscar/Emmy worthy (ofc Hunter’s is a legendary performance). These performances are usually very controversial and break barriers. Tense,life altering,intimate conflicts of The Paino, manipulation and defying norms in Portrait of a lady, an intense cult exploration in Holy Smoke and obsession and mystics in Top of the lake. I bet Dunst will have a very bold,intense and challenging role .

Hence, it would be really really strange if Dunst is supporting. It would be like saying an Aaron Sorkin movie will be slow paced.

Yeah both of these are true. She does have a bold, intense and challenging role (Rose even plays the piano, like in The Piano!) She’s definitely a co-lead but yeah we don’t know which way this will go, re-reading the book just confirmed to me that even in the book, she’s not actually a supporting character, she just has too much of the book from her own perspective.

The other thing I realized in the book was that—because of a general lack of dialogue and just the way it’s written—Conroy’s role is pretty darn big, and McKenzie’s character has a backstory, a connection to Rose’s first husband, and she’s the maid at the ranch throughout the story. So she’s actually always there, I guess I had just forgotten about her because the book has A LOT of characters, and Campion’s obviously winnowed them down (she didn’t even cast Rose’s first husband who’s there in the first 1/4th of the book until he dies).

Pretty sure Netflix wants as many nominees as possible so if they can, they’ll position Dunst in lead, but if that doesn’t seem tenable, her being a co-lead will just make her that much more likely to win in supporting. Let’s see.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t remember the reactions from TIFF last year being very strong. Unless they re-edited the film I don’t think she’ll be a very big player

Probably did? I dunno.

I just can’t help imagine the sheer irony of the situation if the next Black woman to win in lead is……….Halle Berry. Lol probably not because she doesn’t have the career that Viola Davis and many others have, and Viola has to win sometime or the other, but as we know, these things happen idiosyncratically!

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons, Andre Holland, Troy Kotsur, Richard Jenkins, Reed Birney

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

God we get it. You’ve read TPOTD. How many times do you need to reiterate that? Films are NOT always like the book. Give it up.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

We got to 50 parts last year. By the way it’s already going, we’ll be there by November

if we can’t at least see 80 I’ll be so disappointed in us why lie

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.