Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 518 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +5 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
Diamond Tier
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

wouldn’t dunst have better chance if she goes supporting tho? i am not fully aware of contenders yet, bit out of it all rn but it seems less stacked to me

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

wouldn’t dunst have better chance if she goes supporting tho? i am not fully aware of contenders yet, bit out of it all rn but it seems less stacked to me

She’ll still get in if she is in Lead, but she’ll have a better chance at winning in Supporting. In Lead, I wouldn’t put her higher than certain other contenders

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

She’ll still get in if she is in Lead, but she’ll have a better chance at winning in Supporting. In Lead, I wouldn’t put her higher than certain other contenders

Well, we have Dowd and Plimpton for Mass, sadly Julianne Nicholson seems out of the picture for now, you have the Nightmare Alley ladies, and possibly Dench, Farmiga, Streep, Merediz, Houdyshell (varying degrees of skepticism for each). Just 2 weeks ago, supporting looked more packed than lead to me quite honestly. So yes, right now, Dunst looks like she can win in supporting. But things will shift, we haven’t seen anything yet.

I genuinely believe Netflix will want Dunst to be in Lead if they think they can get Conroy and/or McKenzie in over there. And I think she can be competitive for the win. Jennifer Hudson seems like the biggest contender, I don’t see Blanchett, McDormand, Stewart as winners there (Dowd might be a stronger competitor than these 3 for a win). I just…don’t know. Dunst can get into to either field just on the basis of the character. It’s so brilliant, she’ll get the raves for it if the film hits like we think it will because when people see the film, they’ll see how it’s a story of both Phil and Rose, not just Phil. They’re both each others’ downfall.

Here’s a short review of the book, if you’re curious

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Dunst can get into to either field just on the basis of the character. It’s so brilliant, she’ll get the raves for it if the film hits like we think it will because when people see the film, they’ll see how it’s a story of both Phil and Rose, not just Phil. They’re both each others’ downfall.

I mean this with respect, but I think that everyone in this thread well understands by now that you have read this book.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I just put Penelope Cruz into my predictions for lead. If, as I think will happen, she wins the Volpi (the one European award she’s never won), I think she’ll be a player. Hey, it’s Almodovar

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I mean this with respect, but I think that everyone in this thread well understands by now that you have read this book.

lol i’m sorry. to be fair, i did offer a review? trying to be better 🙂

FYC:

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I genuinely believe Netflix will want Dunst to be in Lead if they think they can get Conroy and/or McKenzie in over there. And I think she can be competitive for the win. Jennifer Hudson seems like the biggest contender, I don’t see Blanchett, McDormand, Stewart as winners there (Dowd might be a stronger competitor than these 3 for a win). I just…don’t know. Dunst can get into to either field just on the basis of the character. It’s so brilliant, she’ll get the raves for it if the film hits like we think it will because when people see the film, they’ll see how it’s a story of both Phil and Rose, not just Phil. They’re both each others’ downfall.

If they put Dunst in Lead then she’ll probably be 3rd or 4th for me. Stewart just seems like Volpi winner, critics sweeper, and BAFTA advantage (in a split field anyway). Possibly the Olivia Colman or Marion Cotillard of this year. Hudson could get raves and if the competition is weaker she could win. I agree on Blanchett and McDormand. I think part of it is that if Dunst is to win Lead, Cumberbatch will not, and I have a strong feeling that Cumberbatch is coming for the win. But maybe it’s possible

FYC

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

In the fall, COVID and its variants permitting, Netflix will continue to offer exclusive theatrical releases ranging from one week to just under four weeks for films like “Bruised,” “The Hand of God” and “Don’t Look Up.” as per Variety

Halle Berry credits Scott Stuber with her decision to sell her directorial debut, “Bruised,” to Netflix: “He said here are the funds you need to finish the film the way you intended. I’m not sure I would have had that anywhere else.”

Halle Berry’s directorial debut #Bruised will be released in theaters this fall before launching on Netflix shortly after.

(variety.com/2021/film/stud…)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I think part of it is that if Dunst is to win Lead, Cumberbatch will not, and I have a strong feeling that Cumberbatch is coming for the win.

THAT’S the tea. I don’t think she’ll be weaker than Stewart because, like Colman and McDormand, she’ll have the film as a BP contender (which Jackie wasn’t, so…). Portman didn’t win the Oscar, Stone did :/

I agree. Two leads winning seems impossible. But I keep saying this: it happens often enough than in a co-lead situation, the female star gets the awards even when the film is lopsided to the male character. I know you think Stewart has the best chance at the Volpi but I think it’s probably Cruz, then Dunst, then Stewart. I don’t see Cumberbatch (or anyone else) winning Volpi when Toni Servillo is out there with two films in competition, one of them being The Hand of God, which is beginning to seem like a sure bet for awards recognition to me. Lol I think we’re out of our talking points until we have more info on the films & the films are seen. Right now there’s too many ways this could go.

FYC:

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

if we can’t at least see 80 I’ll be so disappointed in us why lie

Don’t worry, she’ll get us there

Gaga1

Oscars FYC:

"CODA" – in all categories

"Everybody's Talking About Jamie" – Sup. Actor (Richard E. Grant), Sup. Actress (Sarah Lancashire) and Original Song (“This Was Me”)

"King Richard" – Original Song (“Be Alive”)

"Summer of Soul" – Picture, Film Editing and Documentary Feature

“The Green Knight” – in all categories

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

idk why GD keeps messing with my accts but anyways

jennifer hudson is a horrendous actress and the only award she’s winning is the razzie, just more delusion echoing through this place

Take the nastiness down a notch, we have too much of it around here.

JHud is not the consummate actress we imagine, yes, but A. I’m rooting for her to prove people wrong a lil bit lol but more importantly, B. When she’s performing, she’s electric. She can emote when performing really damn well. It might shock people to know that I have the same opinion of Gaga—she’s such an electric, iconic, colossally-talented musical performer that she got in for A Star is Born even though I didn’t think she was all that good when not performing.

FYC:

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

THAT’S the tea. I don’t think she’ll be weaker than Stewart because, like Colman and McDormand, she’ll have the film as a BP contender (which Jackie wasn’t, so…)

Sure, but Meryl Streep and Marion Cotillard did the same thing and their films weren’t Picture contenders. Stewart having a BAFTA advantage is still possible, as I’ve been saying. That’s why she is my predicted winner.

But I keep saying this: it happens often enough than in a co-lead situation, the female star gets the awards even when the film is lopsided to the male character.

I know none of them won the Oscar, but that wasn’t the case with Marriage Story or Ma Rainey’s. Driver and Boseman won most of the awards while Johansson and Davis just didn’t get quite as many. I think part of the case with PotD is that Cumberbatch apparently has the baittier part, you could probably fill me in on that. Who knows, maybe you’ll be right, but Cumberbatch smells like some Daniel Day-Lewis level stuff right there

FYC

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I know none of them won the Oscar, but that wasn’t the case with Marriage Story or Ma Rainey’s. Driver and Boseman won most of the awards while Johansson and Davis just didn’t get quite as many. I think part of the case with PotD is that Cumberbatch apparently has the baittier part, you could probably fill me in on that. Who knows, maybe you’ll be right, but Cumberbatch smells like some Daniel Day-Lewis level stuff right there

To not frustrate people with more “book stuff”, I will make a concerted effort to reply directly and not repeat stuff I’ve said before lol

Yes, you’re right in many respects, but the DDL in There Will be Blood comparison isn’t perfect because there was no female co-lead there. I don’t know if “baitier” is necessarily the right way to characterize it. Phil and Rose are both very internal characters, Rose a bit more, Phil is just…100% villainous! Phil is who everyone tiptoes around, he’s head honcho, the big man about town.

Rose is a working-class striver whose husband killed herself and she’s very sensible and wants the best for her son (that’s also complicated). She’s basically Phil’s nemesis, she’s the one who instigates change and who audience will emotionally connect with and root for more. Both require a lot of capital-A “Acting”.

Campion is a master at capturing internal lives. If I’m being frank, in many ways Phil is actually a simpler character because he’s a villain, Rose was more complicated and unexpected for me because the BIG SECRET about Phil is…pretty obvious even early on (it’s even there in the NYFF synopsis). It’s just that he’s so damn unpredictable, you never know terrible thing he’ll do next

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

For me, Marriage Story & Ma Rainey aren’t the greatest examples because even in the play, Ma Rainey just isn’t a character the way Levee is. Marriage Story…eh, people have a very high opinion of Adam Driver so that seemed inevitable, and I also did feel like Johansson didn’t actually get as much material as he did. When I look back, I remember only The Fight lol (where he punches the wall). I don’t think the film spent enough time on her internal life.

Witherspoon in Walk the Line is a great example because the film is totally about Cash, and Joaquin Phoenix was much better and more complex. I dunno how she walked away with the prize there, but I think because she was charming and lovable.

In a weird way, there’s a big chance people will fall in love with the Rose and George pairing. It’s very sweet! It happens VERY fast, they’re not in love or anything. He shows her kindness and she shows it back. Their dynamic is probably the most (maybe ONLY) heartwarming thing about the story.

Lola (McKenzie, the maid) is also a great, sweet character.

FYC:

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Marriage Story…eh, people have a very high opinion of Adam Driver so that seemed inevitable, and I also did feel like Johansson didn’t actually get as much material as he did. When I look back, I remember only The Fight lol (where he punches the wall). I don’t think the film spent enough time on her internal life.  

Did you watch the first half?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 518 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 2)’ is closed to new replies.