Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 543 total)
Created
1 month ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
loudtoilet
marsha_brightly
  • Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

Nothing against Gaga, but for real, the Gaga stan here is delusional and keeps shoving her down our throats at every chance, thread, discussion they can. According to some users Gaga is Streep level and is going to get the every SAG, Emmy, GG, Bafta, Oscar, Grammy, Nobel Prize, British LGBT award, World Food Prize, Playmate of the year, Pulitzer, Palm Dog Award… every year without discussion. https://i.pinimg.com/originals/a6/c8/2b/a6c82b85515bd818d212247db3712697.gif

Most of these “GaGa Stans” are not stans at all. They are people creating accounts pretending to be a fan but really just bored with themselves and want the opportunity to hate on every actress. We had a wave of fake Stewart fan accounts last month, same thing is happening with Gaga now.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

I absolutely agree, but there have been more strong lead roles written for men. Not surprisingly, Aaron Sorkin is famous for writing much better roles for men than women, with the notable exception being his CJ Craig character in The West Wing. I fully expect that as more screenplays by women are produced, we’ll see more strong roles for women; I don’t think it’s a complete coincidence that two of the strongest roles for women last year— Fern in Nomadland and Cassie in Promising Young Woman— were written by women.

I would agree more with the sentiment if it were 25-30 years ago. But almost every year for the past twenty years have had a good amount of quality performances by women in quality movies. The Oscars often don’t reflect that, because the movies and/or performances aren’t baity or because the feature isn’t a big Hollywood production. The problem has more to do with big budgeted, Oscar bait-y, “wannabe high art” flicks being mostly male led. But there’s almost always a wealth of quality work by women. A lot of it has been frequently snubbed.

While bringing up Blanchett was just silly. Especially since Matthew’s win is one of the shittiest Lead Actor wins in recent years.

Profile picture
    KB93
    Topics:

“That’s why year in and year out, the guy who wins the Oscar for Best Actor has a much higher bar to clear than the woman who wins Best Actress. Cate gave a terrific performance in Blue Jasmine but nothing close to the degree of difficulty for any of the five Best Actor nominees. Daniel Day-Lewis had to give the performance he gave in Lincoln to win

What exactly did Christian Bale, Bruce Dern or Leo DiCaprio do that year that was difficult about their performance? The absurdity of his comment. I can’t.

Profile picture
    Stefania
    Topics:

First of all, I think it’s wrong to publish personal e-mails that contain OPINIONS. Anyway, he was talking about roles written for women and that win Best Actress, versus roles written for men that win Best Actor, not necessarily about talent per se. If you think about what Leo, DDL or Phoenix had to do for an Oscar he is not wrong: those are tour-de-force roles. Not that it’s necessarily right that a man has to fight a bear to win an Oscar!

“That’s why year in and year out, the guy who wins the Oscar for Best Actor has a much higher bar to clear than the woman who wins Best Actress. Cate gave a terrific performance in Blue Jasmine but nothing close to the degree of difficulty for any of the five Best Actor nominees. Daniel Day-Lewis had to give the performance he gave in Lincoln to win–Jennifer Lawrence won for Silver Linings Playbook, in which she did what a professional actress is supposed to be able to do. Colin Firth/Natalie Portman. Phil Hoffman had to transform himself into Truman Capote while Julia Roberts won for being brassy in Erin Brockovich. Sandra Bullock won for ‘The Blind Side’ and Al Pacino lost for both Godfather movies. <b>Helen Mirren and Meryl Streep can play with the boys but there just aren’t that many tour-de-force roles out there for women.</b>”

Source: https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/sony-leaked-emails-aaron-sorkin-helen-mirren-and-meryl-streep-are-only-actresses-good-men-9927512.html

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I would agree more with the sentiment if it were 25-30 years ago. But almost every year for the past twenty years have had a good amount of quality performances by women in quality movies. The Oscars often don’t reflect that, because the movies and/or performances aren’t baity or because the feature isn’t a big Hollywood production. The problem has more to do with big budgeted, Oscar bait-y, “wannabe high art” flicks being mostly male led. But there’s almost always a wealth of quality work by women. A lot of it has been frequently snubbed.

While bringing up Blanchett was just silly. Especially since Matthew’s win is one of the shittiest Lead Actor wins in recent years.

I just want to be clear to distinguish between quality roles and quality performances. I would never suggest that there haven’t been as many quality performances by woman as men in the last 20 years, but even factoring in independent films which haven’t been recognized by the Oscars, I’m very struck that I’ve read or watched at least a dozen interviews with actresses such as Isabelle Huppert, Cate Blanchett, Meryl Streep, Frances McDormand, Carey Mulligan, Jessica Chastain and Margot Robbie, in which these actresses have lamented the paucity of rich, complicated roles for women, and some have gone on to explain that this is a reason they have started to develop and produce films for themselves and other women.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

I don’t think losing a bunch of weight or putting on accents or “fighting” an animal suddenly makes a performance more awards worthy. While when it comes to big budgeted, Oscar bait, “prestige” movies, a large percentage of the leading roles still goes to males. And there’s definitely more age bias with females than males. But when I look over films post 2000 and suss out my favorite performances from whatever given year and my favorite movies, a large percentage tend from women/are female led. Whether they get awards or not is a different discussion. And I’m still stuck on thinking any of those dudes nominated that year was as awards worthy as Blanchett. Are there still gender imbalances, yes. However, Sorkin’s comments were still silly, one-note and bordering misogyny.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Does this dude really think Leo actually fought a bear

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:

We can’t blame Ridley for The Last Duel’s poor box office performance. It went into production before the pandemic hit the US and in a normal year,a movie like this would have most likely crossed 200 million. It’s just bad luck that it happened to be released in a pandemic.

Profile picture
    hildy1050
    Topics:

We can’t blame Ridley for The Last Duel’s poor box office performance. It went into production before the pandemic hit the US and in a normal year,a movie like this would have most likely crossed 200 million. It’s just bad luck that it happened to be released in a pandemic.

Do you think AMPAS voters will see it that way though?

Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

Wasn’t it revealed in the Sony Mail Leaks that Sorkin wrote to a journalist that Blanchett was good in Blue Jasmine but wasn’t even close to the Male Actors’ Oscar nominated performances that year and also that only Streep and Mirren could compete at the level of male actors? 

Yes…i agree with Sorkin that oscar 2014 is some of the best male performances….over shadowed Blanchette….The minus point for me Jasmine performance that she looked really that sober…didnt seem like her intoxicated at all….but he added another statement :

“Jennifer Lawrence won for Silver Linings Playbook + Natalie Portman + Julia Roberts won for being brassy in Erin Brockovich + Sandra Bullock won for ‘The Blind Side’ ”

Cate Blanchette Blue Jasmin > J-Law SLP & Julia Roberts Erin Brockovich & Sandra Bullock

Natalie Portman Black Swan > Cate Blue Jasmine

Julia Roberts Erin Brockovich : im more interested watching this coz of Erin life not about Julia performance that i felt pretty casual not that hype

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Maybe, but I think there are many people, especially women, who are reluctant to watch a movie in which there are two separate scenes depicting a rape. I know that Nicole Holofcener is one of the screenwriters, but I’m still hesitant to watch the film, and I can’t imagine I’d want to see it more than once. I suspect that most of Scott’s highest grossing movies are ones that people went to see multiple times, and unlike Alien or Blade Runner or Gladiator, I just don’t think that would have happened with The Last Duel, even in the absence of a pandemic.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Lead consideration should go to actresses who carry star vehicles, everyone else is supporting to me

1.Kristen
    2.Olivia
    3.Halle
    4.Penelope
    5.Nicole

Supporting
    1. Frances
    2. Jodie
    3. Cate
    4. Rooney

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

This is really rich coming from someone who’s been defensive on almost every single post that even discusses the potential of any contender other than kstew winning this category. This weird attempt to create some victim complex reflects far more on yourself I’m afraid. The original post was fairly aggressive in its negativity. Of course people who disagree will react in kind. Also the idea that this forum is 100% pro Colman obviously didn’t see what the discussion was like for her seasons of The Crown lmao

I think you achieved to be more aggressive than that comment here. Then again, no surprises here.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Manav
    Topics:
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js

every testimony say something like that,,,i just saw one woman praising Being Ricardo ..she said that movie s great…actually we dont know after watch it by your self

one fight profil movie that i was watching is DUNE….wow…visual effect really stunning…..

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 543 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)’ is closed to new replies.