Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 543 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
loudtoilet
marsha_brightly
  • Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

nuts

make me

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

dreadful? Are you nuts? She was amazing as The Countess. I bet you didn’t even watch it. Look dude you can ve as defensive as you want over your fav but you’re not gonna dismiss Gaga as an actress. That ship has sailed. She’s a best actress nominee. God I can’t wait for HOG reviews to come in. If they are glowing y’all will have a nervous breakdown. Mwahahahaha!! I will personally advertise for little monsters to come on here and drag you to hell 😅

If you need anything ask Caroleanne

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

But is the character truly unsympathetic, or is it just that some people refuse to sympathize with her? Take Skylar from Breaking Bad again, for instance. Like Walt, she is a character with some sympathetic traits and some unsympathetic traits. But whereas Walt’s gradual descent into moral corruption and villainy is accepted by viewers as part of his character development, Skylar is roundly hated and villainized for her unsympathetic actions, even though she doesn’t reach the same lows Walt did over the course of the show. Why is that?

The issue I had with Skyler was that I felt she was poorly written and that the writers never understood who she was. Anna Gunn got a lot of showy material and played it well, which is how she got two Emmys. But I never felt as if we got to know Skyler outside of how she felt about Walt’s behaviors. While a lot of her own behaviors and reasonings were nonsensical. Too often she felt like a plot device or a basic “wife in distress” trope. But inconsistent, shallow characterization is one of a few reasons I don’t place Breaking Bad on the same level as The Sopranos or The Wire, as good as the show overall was. I do think the aggressive, over-the-top hate many had for her was often driven by misogyny though.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Sally Hawkins outperformed Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine and that’s on period. It happened that Hollywood was in a hurry to have a Lupita coronation

I love Sally Hawkins in Blue Jasmine darling, but nobody outacted Blanchett in that movie. Period

If you need anything ask Caroleanne

Profile picture
    Olsen
    Topics:

dreadful? Are you nuts? She was amazing as The Countess.

I think Gaga’s great in that role too. Her performance improved well since episode 7. Just don’t see other actresses could nail that role like her.

Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

Portman could only dream to give a performance (Bening, Williams and Kidman were better in her lineup) in her career like the one Blanchett gave in Blue Jasmine, Black Swan has to have one of the most overrated performances in movie history, people act like if that was a tour de force lmao, that’s on the level of McConaughey’s/Leto’s overrated mess

Are you okey????

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I don’t think it should matter if a character is unsympathetic or not. It shouldn’t even matter if it’s likeable or not. It shouldn’t matter if  it’s pro feminism or not. The performance should speak for itself. All these unnecessary politics revolving around movies is the reason we have undeserving winners and nominees every year. Most people don’t judge with an open mind.

Laga Gaga for Best Actress.

House of Gucci for best picture.

Profile picture
    Stank83
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”>

Yeah, there were some s***y wins but Portman in Black Swan and Blanchett in Blue Jasmine are not among them. I drag Blanchett in The Aviator across concrete but Blue Jasmine is scared.

Blanchett in The Aviator was perfect and absolutely deserving of the win.

Most of you have no idea about what the fuck they are talking about in this site.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

I don’t adore Portman’s win. Partly because there’s been so many “female descends into delusional madness” performances and movies throughout the years. And many I’ve liked more than Black Swan and Portman’s performance in it. It’s still a strong work and strong win though. Only Williams or Lawrence I would have maybe considered giving the victory to.

I also can understand people not f-ing with Blanchett’s win for The Aviator. I don’t require perfectly mimicry. But from both a writing and acting standpoint, that was a cartoon version of Hepburn.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

<p style=”text-align: left;”> Blanchett in The Aviator was perfect and absolutely deserving of the win. Most of you have no idea about what the fuck they are talking about in this site.

Blnchett is hilariously mannered in The Aviator especially in the earlier scenes. Mannerisms are her trademark. You know ahead of time when she’s gonna do this manner or that manner.

That said, Jasmine is GOAT.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

It’s more like whether or not a character is sympathetic has no bearing on the overall quality of the character. A character can be unsympathetic and still be compelling. And there is definitely a misogynistic tendency some people have to disregard flawed female characters as “unlikeable” much more quickly than flawed male characters.

BS.  I read the synopsis for The Lost Daughter and the story makes no sense and it builds up to nothing. I’m sure it’s a great prose but as far as the plot goes…yeah. So if someone thinks Colman isn’t sympathetic because “why the heck did she do that?” (it’s not what you think, it’s pretty LOL unless it comes off better on the screen), I really can’t blame them. I myself was, like, WTF is this thing, it went absolutely NOWHERE.

Profile picture
    Butz
    Topics:

Some people are just so incredibly stupid. Like, judging the quality of the film from how likeable the lead character is? That’s a new low. People are so used to custom-made easy consume that has to be 100% appealing to them today that they don’t know how to handle something that is not a blank slate. Some of the best film characters of the last ten years wouldn’t exist if those people had anything to say (Mildred Hayes, Cassie Thomas, Kim Ki-woo, Ki-taek and Ki-jung, …). Embarrassing.

FYC - Oscars 2022:
    NINE DAYS in all categories, including:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Director
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Winston Duke)
    - Best Supporting Actress (Zazie Beetz)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Benedict Wong)

RIDERS OF JUSTICE:
    - Best Picture
    - Best Original Screenplay
    - Best Actor (Mads Mikkelsen)
    - Best Supporting Actor (Nicolas Bro)

Letterboxd: Ray_In_Bruges

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

It’s not stupid. if you want to punch characters in the face you are not going to enjoy the movie and watching will become a chore.

Also, it isn’t that people don’t find male characters unlikable and unsymapthetic and useless, etc but such comments never attract attention, unless male character is POC, than replace sexist with racist. There are many more comments about male characters since there are more of them.

Out of all female contenders, only 1 got “unlikable” label by 1 person and somehow that’s a national tragedy, put a banner on half-mast, and commenter’s butt in jail.

Ridiculous. But guess what? All this hand-wringling is really panic that Colman won’t win if AMPAS (both male and female) doesn’t feel for her character. So cut holier than tou attitudes. You are concerned what it means for her comeptitiveness.

P.S. Now that you mentioned Cassie Thomas, she sure didn’t win. Likable McDormand did. Bingo!

Profile picture
    gofyb
    Topics:

No one’s judging a film based on likeliness of a character. They’re judging the actor’s chances on getting a nomination playing an unlikable character. There’s a difference. Academics tend to like performances that make them feel relatable to the character and empathize with em

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Alright, there’s no need to be condescending, Mr. Toilet. You don’t dig the movie, that’s fine.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 543 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)’ is closed to new replies.