Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 543 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
1 month ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
loudtoilet
marsha_brightly
  • Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I can understand Hudson to an extent (her film flopped but she’s still playing Aretha Franklin) but the arguments that no one is going to be interested in Comer’s movie’s plot can literally be applied to Chastain’s too 💀💀.

How so? Chastain movie is a textbook biopic (character rises, character falls, character has a cheating husband or something, character rises again or has a tragic ending take your pick). Those biopics are AMPAS superhero genre – they can’t get enough of the same formula in different clothing, make up, etc.

TLD is not the typical hero vs villain clash over a female love interest. Neither guy is good and the hero is the woman. So while they might like novelty, it isn’t as sure a priority watch as business as usual movies. That’s my point.

Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

Berry looks spot on like a MMA fighter in the trailer. Funny enough, Netflix has released a pretty awful series My Name starring a typically model-like pretty girl playing badass dress up. Hilarious when she beats up men twice her size who trained for more than she because she was given an advice to attack their vital points, as if they never heard of that most basic martial arts rule. :eyeroll: Point being, Berry is great and well cast in a genre (female fighter/badass) that isoften mocked for unrealistic, unconvincing casting. I hope she’s in but I don’t expect Netflix to get 3 (Colman, Thiompson, Berry) in. 1 or 2.

yeayyy….she got attention in Fighter Boxer society

ufc champ valentina shevchenko battles halle berry in first trailer for new mma film bruised

for me trio girls on your list Colman unlikely get nomination

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Jodie Comer is on one of Elle’s annual Women in Hollywood issue! 🙌🏼  Halle Berry is also on one of the covers. They’ll likely be honored and receive their awards at a ceremony in November. Past honorees include Jennifer Lawrence (mother!), Margot Robbie (I, Tonya), Laura Dern (Big Little Lies and Star Wars: The Last Jedi), Lady Gaga ( A Star is Born) Nicole Kidman (Bombshell) and Scarlett Johansson (Marriage Story).  

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Anne Thompson has updated her GD predictions, adding Jodie Comer to best actress (knocking out Colman) and The Last Duel to BP.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    marsha_brightly
    Topics:

Anne Thompson has updated her GD predictions, adding Jodie Comer to best actress (knocking out Colman) and The Last Duel to BP.

damn….used to put Comer on my Best Actress list at the beginning….later on i changed my mind about her…hope shes for Supporting Role

Colman for me just like woman in the train or woman in the window kind of thing although im not watch the movie yet

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

No disrespect to Jennifer Hudson and Jessica Chastain, but I don’t understand why so many pundits still have them in the top 5 when Jodie Comer’s film got much more stronger reviews. The critical reception for The Last Duel is higher than Respect and The Eyes of Tammy Faye.

I think it’s all about visibility. If Chastain is seen by more people, then it won’t matter how good Comer is. They’ll nominate Chastain instead

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

I think it’s all about visibility. If Chastain is seen by more people, then it won’t matter how good Comer is. They’ll nominate Chastain instead

20th Century just needs to put The Last Duel in the Academy streaming service and the academy members will watch it. It’s big cast by a big director with a positive reception.

Profile picture
    Barbra Please
    Topics:

Chastain and Hudson very likely to get in darlin’. Never underestimate the power of underwhelming baity biopics.

If you need anything ask Caroleanne

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

But the thing is Chastain necessarily going to be seen by more people than Comer? This is a more international and younger academy than it was a decade ago and both of those groups feel more likely to react in apathy towards a film about an American televangelist from the 1980s than they are to a Ridley Scott film led by a European rising star. Sure Chastain is more well known to the academy than Comer but it’s not like that really helped Amy Adams get in over someone like Vanessa Kirby last year.

Anyway I don’t think box office will matter for either film as much as it may usually do because they’ll ultimately have a second run on Hulu (and Disney+ outside of the US) 45 days after their theatrical releases (although if they fail to make any noise after dropping on there then both Comer and Chastain’s chances are beyond DOA).

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, Shiva Baby, Spencer
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall, Pablo Larrain
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Andrew Garfield, Winston Duke/James McAvoy
    Actress: Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson
    S. Actor: Richard E. Grant, Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee
    S. Actress : Kirsten Dunst/Martha Plimpton/Ruth Negga/Diana Rigg/Anya Taylor-Joy
    O. Screenplay: Bergman Island/Mass/Nine Days
    A. Screenplay: The Lost Daughter/Passing/The Power of the Dog/Shiva Baby

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I’m unsure that this is true. For example, last year, hadn’t more people seen Zendaya in Malcolm & Marie than Andra Day in The United States vs. Billie Holiday? The quality of the performance does matter to some degree.

Profile picture
    SN
    Topics:

Forget Comer. Disney dumped The Last Duel, they most probably won’t dare to campaign it.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

And @halleberry, the director and star of mixed martial arts film #Bruised, spent her entire career pushing for real representation—and is finally seeing results. elle.com/halle-berry-21

The actresses will all attend the magazine’s 27th annual Elle Women in Hollywood event this week.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Berry looks spot on like a MMA fighter in the trailer. Funny enough, Netflix has released a pretty awful series My Name starring a typically model-like pretty girl playing badass dress up. Hilarious when she beats up men twice her size who trained for more than she because she was given an advice to attack their vital points, as if they never heard of that most basic martial arts rule. :eyeroll: Point being, Berry is great and well cast in a genre (female fighter/badass) that isoften mocked for unrealistic, unconvincing casting. I hope she’s in but I don’t expect Netflix to get 3 (Colman, Thiompson, Berry) in. 1 or 2.

The reaction to the trailer  was positive.She’s lcampaigning so don’t pls underestimate halle. If the academy loves her performance she will get in regardless of what people think.
    This prediction will likely change because of Halle and Nicole unseen performances. The only safe bet is Kristen.

Starlets Halle Berry, Gemma Chan, Jodie Comer, Gal Gadot, Salma Hayek, Jennifer Hudson, Angelina Jolie, Rita Moreno and Lauren Ridloff will be honored at the magazine’s 27th annual Elle Women in Hollywood event on Tuesday October 18.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I’m unsure that this is true. For example, last year, hadn’t more people seen Zendaya in Malcolm & Marie than Andra Day in The United States vs. Billie Holiday? The quality of the performance does matter to some degree.

Right people instead of more people. We are talking about what AMPAS is more likely to see, TLD or

the power of underwhelming baity biopics.

Younger membership or not, Macaroni&Marie (credit: Occult Cherry) wasn’t going to be a priority viewing over Billie Holiday. Some habits die hard or never.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Forget Comer. Disney dumped The Last Duel, they most probably won’t dare to campaign it.

It has a section on their FYC site with a list of upcoming screenings from October-November in LA, NY and San Francisco: https://disneystudiosawards.com/last-duel/screenings/

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 543 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 20)’ is closed to new replies.