Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 21)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 21)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 514 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +8 hidden )
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
Plumpshell
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Is it possible to post what they wrote about it here? It says you have to be subscribed to read the full article. Also, do they mention Jennifer Lawrence for Don’t Look Up?

Yes, this is the full passage on Spencer.

Yeah, the divide between what plays well broadly and what plays really well to a specific few is going to be a factor, too, among those on the brink of a nomination. Look at Pablo Larraín’s Spencer, which we both know hasn’t played well to a good chunk of the industry but is a critical darling with a lot of passion behind it. Neon is releasing the film November 5, kick-starting Kristen Stewart’s best-actress campaign—regardless of how the film does overall, she’s the category front-runner right now—and will look to steadily build support among other branches, particularly crafts and writing.

As far as Lawrence, the only reference in the piece came at the end of this passage:

“We’ve talked Kristen Stewart and Penélope Cruz, but the industry doesn’t love anyone right now as much as Olivia Colman, right?”

“Yes, I’m not sure how we got this far into this conversation without any mention of Maggie Gyllenhaal’s The Lost Daughter, which played really well at the festivals, leads the Gotham Award nominations, and has an outstanding performance by Colman that makes her pretty much a lock for best actress.

Other than that, it’s a lot of question marks around who else could join the actresses we’ve mentioned. Emilia Jones is excellent in CODA, but we have to see if that film can keep up momentum. The same goes for Tessa Thompson, a star of Passing. And there are several other former Oscar winners in films that haven’t been seen yet who are worth keeping an eye out for: Jennifer Lawrence (Don’t Look Up), Nicole Kidman (Being the Ricardos), and Halle Berry (Bruised) among them.”

• This reply was modified 3 months ago by KBC.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    jez89
    Topics:

Reading this thread just makes me annoyed at how Mulligan got screwed over last year. She basically lost because the Golden Globes feigned being woke because of a silly backlash and gave it to Day and BAFTA completely lost the plot with their nominations/jury system, which also screwed Mulligan. In a normal and sensible year Mulligan would have comfortably won.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Thanks. Can you also post what they mentioned about HoG?

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

So that Vanity Fair article reaffirming what we already heard as rumors from Telluride, that industry people (who actually vote for Oscars) don’t like Spencer…interesting!

no, they said that it didn’t click with some. Industry people are still people. And they blanket praise for Kristen is not gonna disappear just bc they work in the industry. She is getting nominated honey… Deal with it. Actually I’m gonna say HAHAHAHA right now bc you’ll just switch over to one of your various other accounts when she is nominated to save face. 😘

Profile picture
    Entela
    Topics:

no, they said that it didn’t click with some. Industry people are still people. And they blanket praise for Kristen is not gonna disappear just bc they work in the industry. She is getting nominated honey… Deal with it. Actually I’m gonna say HAHAHAHA right now bc you’ll just switch over to one of your various other accounts when she is nominated to save face. 😘

Maybe you nead to learn how to read, cause I said they expressed their reserves on Spencer (the movie) not on Kristen’s performance…just relax…we don’t won’t the whole forum (who is rooting for Kristen this year like they did with Carey last year) to end up disappointed when she ends like Carey Dulligan…forum critics “choosen” one, only for the actual Oscar voters to say NO!

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

Thanks. Can you also post what they mentioned about HoG?

Only a brief passage in VF on HoG:

The last studio-backed ensemble title yet to be seen is House of Gucci. Ridley Scott could use a hit after his other starry 2021 title, The Last Duel, bombed pretty hard at the box office.
    But what of its Oscar chances? Worth noting, this one is coming down the pike quicker than those aforementioned titles [Nightmare Alley, Don’t Look Up, Licorice Pizza], yet remains shrouded in mystery.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

4. Rachel Zegler – West Side Story (She is being majorly underestimated and is in a beloved role, in a beloved film by a beloved director, plus is giving a musical performance)

With so many other actresses with strong performances in good roles vying for nominations, I just don’t see Zegler getting in. And I’m unsure it’s accurate to characterize Maria as a “beloved role.” The original film of West Side story received ELEVEN Oscar nominations (and ten wins) but Natalie Wood playing Maria wasn’t one of them. Also, when Carol Lawrence originated the role on Broadway, she was nominated for a Tony but didn’t win. (Of the two important female roles in WSS, I think of Anita as the more interesting part.)

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Maybe you nead to learn how to read, cause I said they expressed their reserves on Spencer (the movie) not on Kristen’s performance…just relax…we don’t won’t the whole forum (who is rooting for Kristen this year like they did with Carey last year) to end up disappointed when she ends like Carey Dulligan…forum critics “choosen” one, only for the actual Oscar voters to say NO!

Nope you’ve showed your ass here over and over. So what if Kristen is the favourite? She deserves to be the favourite. I even posted an article where the writer said multiple big name British actresses backed away because they were too scared of the risk involved with playing that role. She went for it and it paid off. And if nobody else can match her buzz then that’s not her fault. It doesn’t mean it’s a boring or predictable year, it means she’s just too good.

And I mean… Even her biggest stans know its a long award season. We’re not gonna really know how it’s gonna go until the big award ceremonies go.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Reading this thread just makes me annoyed at how Mulligan got screwed over last year. She basically lost because the Golden Globes feigned being woke because of a silly backlash and gave it to Day and BAFTA completely lost the plot with their nominations/jury system, which also screwed Mulligan. In a normal and sensible year Mulligan would have comfortably won.

BS. SAG could have voted for Mulligan. BAFTA could have voted for Mulligan with AMPAS. As it is, McDormand collected more votes and won.

Mulligan was lucky that the year was so baren thus her movie got noticed. In an actually competitive year, nope, forget it. Indie Spirit at best.

Not saying her feud with that Variety journo had mauch of an impact but it wasn’t a good look. She didn’t need that kind of exposure.

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

Yall are still going to be talking about Mulligan/Promising Young Woman in the BA threads this time next year. Mark my words….lol

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Delusion at it’s finest! Nobody outside of “twitter film experts” and movie geeks cares or even knows about Spencer’s existence. Meanwhile the Gucci trailer generated millions of views more, multiple memes from it’s catch phrases etc etc But it’s ok, the delusion will end for good once those Spencer box office numbers come…I mean we are being told it’s breaking the internet left and right, sooo people must be eager to go and see it…

How convenient you deleted the emoji from my quote…unless it went right over your wig 🤣

I wonder if the general public is even interested/have heard of this Gucci story? Your box office claims are based on Gaga’s fame. Whereas the general public is far more aware of Diana. It will be an interesting box office turnout for both indeed…

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Yall are still going to be talking about Mulligan/Promising Young Woman in the BA threads this time next year. Mark my words….lol

cause her stans cannot accept that she lost and by doing so wasn’t even #2. That was Davis.

5 stages of grief. They are still in stage 1 – denial. It’s actually sad.

Profile picture
    pablozedd
    Topics:

Arguably the line “they don’t” has become more iconic though? 😜

In what world that happened? Yall just say anything.

Not even on twitter people use this “they don’t” thing. I have to laugh.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

How convenient you deleted the emoji from my quote…unless it went right over your wig 🤣 I wonder if the general public is even interested/have heard of this Gucci story? Your box office claims are based on Gaga’s fame. Whereas the general public is far more aware of Diana. It will be an interesting box office turnout for both indeed…

I wouldn’t be surprised if many in the general audience haven’t heard of the story. Versace’s murder is more well-known. I personally didn’t know about Maurizio’s murder and Patrizia’s role in it until I read the news about Lady Gaga joining the film. Princess Diana is beloved and more iconic.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 514 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 21)’ is closed to new replies.