Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 22)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 22)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +2 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
kallewickans_3
Sir Pierce
  • Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Serious question: Has an actor ever won an Oscar for a performance in a camp movie or for a camp performance?

Profile picture
    Bassett
    Topics:

Angelina Jolie, Penélope Cruz and Margot Robbie were attached to play Patrizia Reggiani, at one point or another, in Ridley Scottʼs #HouseOfGucci. (Source: @BritishVogue)

Chileee I like Margot but why do they want to cast her in everything ?

FYC

Best Actress - Pénélope Cruz, Olivia Colman

Best Actor - Denzel Washington

Best Supporting Actress - Aunjanue Ellis

Profile picture
    Melvinezq
    Topics:

Penelope would be the best choice. She’s spanish so it won’t be hard for her to nail the italian accent.

Plus, she’s fluent in Italian. Imagine her as Donatella using Italian! It will be better by mile than her already-great performance in AHS: Versace.

"The Lost Daughter" in every eligible category - Film
    "Succession" Season 3 in every eligible category - TV
    "Heaux Tales" by Jasmine Sullivan in every eligible category - Music

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Serious question: Has an actor ever won an Oscar for a performance in a camp movie or for a camp performance?

Marisa Tomei in ‘My cousin Vinny’ comes to mind, she was playing an Italian American over the top with hilarious lines.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Marisa Tomei in ‘My cousin Vinny’ comes to mind, she was playing an Italian American over the top with hilarious lines.

Yep. That qualifies. It was Supporting, but it definitely qualifies.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Emilia Jones is a funny, pretty breakout star who is actually really good in CODA. Did we dismiss her just because we’re unsure about CODA? Feel like we haven’t talked about this much but it has a better studio behind than Mass, and it has staying power. It’s still pretty up there!

I’m a little befuddled by Matlin getting all the predictions when it should be Kotsur and Jones but regardless.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Yep. That qualifies. It was Supporting, but it definitely qualifies.

Kathy Bates in ‘Misery’ was a very camp and over the top character as well.

Allison Janney in ‘I, Tonya’ too recently, the movie is exactly same kind of camp of HOG.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

So wait…

Would Kristen Stewart be the first openly queer winner in Best Actress?

(She just got engaged… cute, interesting timing etc.)

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

So wait… Would Kristen Stewart be the first openly queer winner in Best Actress? (She just got engaged… cute, interesting timing etc.)

I believe so yes. There’s Jodie Foster but she wasn’t fully “out” until about two decades after her second win, although there was some public discussion of her sexual orientation around the time The Silence of the Lambs was released.

Profile picture
    Chocoesq
    Topics:

So wait… Would Kristen Stewart be the first openly queer winner in Best Actress? (She just got engaged… cute, interesting timing etc.)

Yes, as would Gaga.

Profile picture
    Münster
    Topics:

I’m sorry, what? Getting engaged the week her big Oscar vehicle gets released? Isn’t that a tad bit tacky and obvious?

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m sorry, what? Getting engaged the week her big Oscar vehicle gets released? Isn’t that a tad bit tacky and obvious?

???

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

FYC:
    Picture: Drive My Car, The Power of the Dog, Licorice Pizza, Spencer, C'mon C'mon
    Director: Jane Campion, Ryusuke Hamaguchi, Pablo Larraín, Paul Thomas Anderson,
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Joaquin Phoenix. Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Alana Haim
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Cate Blanchett, Ariana DeBose
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee
    Best Original Screenplay: Licorice Pizza, C'mon C'mon,

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Kathy Bates in ‘Misery’ was a very camp and over the top character as well.

Allison Janney in ‘I, Tonya’ too recently, the movie is exactly same kind of camp of HOG.

Janney was in supporting obviously but Bates is a good example. Far more horror, I think it’s almost unintentional camp lol. It shouldn’t be camp technically because her being over the top is due to mental illness and making mental illness camp today would feel icky, but I agree that it was.

Colman in The Favourite was…slightly campy. There’s shades of it because period drama’s opulence and kitsch + queerness + humor almost necessarily seems to involve some camp…

Nothing like HoG imo, but there’s actually plenty of performances people simply wouldn’t think of as camp: Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine. That is 100% a camp performance, almost every review noted the similarity to Blanche DuBois, some called it “Blanche on Xanax” — Blanche of courss being a camp classic. Again, a troubling pairing of mental illness with camp but… regardless, I definitely think of it as camp.

I think Gaga can definitely win for a campy performance, that is definitely not the thing that worries me. What worries me is that I just don’t see the film being self-aware about its own absurdity? Woody Allen’s frothy comedy style accommodates camp, Ridley Scott is such an earnest filmmaker even when he makes comedies! Maybe it’s similar enough to something like American Hustle which I despise but others like enough. It was definitely an absurd movie, but it felt to me like everyone was in a different film. When I watch the HoG trailer it’s a little like Leto is in CAMP COMEDY MAX, Gaga is smartly straddling the line with a slight overreliance on her accent for comedy, and everyone else is in a straight up drama!

FYC:

Profile picture
    SourCandy
    Topics:

girls playing dirrrrty for that oscar

i mean there is no thing u cant do for an oscar nom when you smell its so close

—————

BRING IT ON GAGA LET THE CAMPAIGN BEGIN

on the cover of UK & Italy & much more to come.

Profile picture
    SourCandy
    Topics:

I’m so confident Gaga will make it in the final 5 and maintain the season will be Stewart vs Gaga.

%100. she was never OUT.

she was a LOCK even before stewart.

GD couldnt see it sadly.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 496 through 510 (of 513 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 22)’ is closed to new replies.