Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 535 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
kaziz
Plumpshell
  • Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

After seeing Spencer I’m not entirely sure Stewart wins Best Actress. I thought going in she would give some undeniable performance but I didn’t see it that way. She had her moments, but she was suprisingly unconvincing as Diana and I had trouble connecting with her and the film at large. The film is stranger than people have cracked it up to be, even more so than Jackie and I have trouble seeing this as much of a player. Sure, Stewart can still win if film twitter’s opinion translates to the academy but it won’t be a slam dunk for her. The race is still quite open imo.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

I really liked this review. While we usually concentrate on critics and ‘experts’ what really matters us if the audiences are liking it and for all the comments to the contrary, from my lurking around social media people generally are liking Spencer. You’re always going to get a few who expected soap opera style Charles v Diana but this requires a bit more thought and consideration.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

SPENCER (like most cerebral and impressionistic styled movies) will struggle to find an audience, both with general audiences and the Academy. That’s my takeaway after my screening. Half full theater and quite a lot of walkouts. Heard one freelance writer say Neon shouldn’t even attempt taking this outside of the NY/LA FilmTwitter crowd. It’s not gonna play well at all with traditionalistic audiences. It’s not a linear biopic. It’s an arthouse film geared towards a specific crowd. I’d go further and say it’s less accessible than JACKIE.

And that’s how Stewart’s Oscar chances falters. For Oscar voters to even get onboard with a win for her, they will need to watch it en mass. As recent Best Actress wins have shown, they vote for what they’ve seen (LA LA LAND, THE FAVOURITE, NOMADLAND) or something transformative and accessible (JUDY). SOENCER is gonna go the same way THE WIFE and JACKIE went. It’s not going to benefit from word of mouth, it is not going to be in the pile of screeners voters will watch with their families this Thanksgiving, unlike say BELFAST and King Richard.

She’s not winning SAG. They’ll go (as always) with something more accessible and traditional. Basic, as the film twitter crowd calls it. Jennifer Hudson or Jessica Chastain. And whoever that is, is probably going to be your Oscar winner.

BAFTA is going to be interesting. An unflattering depiction of the royal family, that weird attempt at a British accent, very inaccessible, etc. She’ll probably survive the acting Jury selection.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

From someone who attended the Licorice Pizza screening: https://mobile.twitter.com/BenMank77/status/1457215386684776448

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

SPENCER (like most cerebral and impressionistic styled movies) will struggle to find an audience, both with general audiences and the Academy. That’s my takeaway after my screening. Half full theater and quite a lot of walkouts. Heard one freelance writer say Neon shouldn’t even attempt taking this outside of the NY/LA FilmTwitter crowd. It’s not gonna play well at all with traditionalistic audiences. It’s not a linear biopic. It’s an arthouse film geared towards a specific crowd. I’d go further and say it’s less accessible than JACKIE. And that’s how Stewart’s Oscar chances falters. For Oscar voters to even get onboard with a win for her, they will need to watch it en mass. As recent Best Actress wins have shown, they vote for what they’ve seen (LA LA LAND, THE FAVOURITE, NOMADLAND) or something transformative and accessible (JUDY). SOENCER is gonna go the same way THE WIFE and JACKIE went. It’s not going to benefit from word of mouth, it is not going to be in the pile of screeners voters will watch with their families this Thanksgiving, unlike say BELFAST and King Richard. She’s not winning SAG. They’ll go (as always) with something more accessible and traditional. Basic, as the film twitter crowd calls it. Jennifer Hudson or Jessica Chastain. And whoever that is, is probably going to be your Oscar winner. BAFTA is going to be interesting. An unflattering depiction of the royal family, that weird attempt at a British accent, very inaccessible, etc. She’ll probably survive the acting Jury selection.

weird attempt at the accent? Her accent is fantastic. Go touch grass

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

You’re either not British, or you are one of those people who enjoy foreign actors butchering our accent.

Her accent is weird.

And I will touch nothing.

Profile picture
    Topics:

How old are you?

Johnny Depp Is A Monster

Profile picture
    Orestes
    Topics:

I love it when people who clearly have no ear for accents try to pretend they know what they’re talking about. It’s not like I’m any kind of expert myself so you won’t find me criticising Lady Gaga’s accent work in House of Gucci, for example. I am British so I can say with reasonable confidence that Stewart does a great job with Diana’s distinctive vowels.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Since you want to get technical, in terms of articulatory phonetics, she leaves a lot to be desired.Consonants sounding like pure bollocks.

Now I said what I said. My opinion will stand. Like it, don’t like it.

Thank you.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

You’re either not British, or you are one of those people who enjoy foreign actors butchering our accent. Her accent is weird. And I will touch nothing.

I’m British and literally don’t know anyone who sounds like Diana did. She belonged to a minority section of privileged society; most of the general population by that fact would find her and most of the Royal family’s accents for that matter “weird”. And I’d venture even amongst those of her class her voice was unique, as everyone’s is…

And lmao at the industry won’t watch Spencer because it’s “inaccessible”. Stewart is the most controversial actress in the world playing the most famous woman in the world. That screener will be at the top of all their Blu-ray piles and we all know it. The haters are really grasping at straws at the unexpected acclaim of this movie and performance…they need to take a few weeks off.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Different as in ASIB v. Gucci? Absolutely. No shot whatsoever. You cannot recreate that type of success. I mean she had it all, great acclaim (90% on RT), great audience reaction, great box office numbers and on top of that a hit single and a very successful soundtrack. Gucci will not come anywhere close to that. I think if she scores a 2nd nomination, she’s considered very lucky.

OMG!!! That era had Gaga on a whole new level. The highest she’s had since Born This Way…….(I’d argue even higher than BTW..so it’s her biggest era). A lot of people got to know her via ASIB. Many who didn’t like her songs got to like Shallow cos it didn’t sound weird to them. She was 100% undeniable for the best actress nom and was in for the win which is huge for a breakout. I’ll always be grateful to Bradley Cooper for believing in her. The supposed career ender became the biggest era

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

I haven’t seen the film, but the only lines I understand in the trailer are “they don’t” and “will they kill me?”. I dunno if that’s how Diana spoke. My observation won’t hold water too cos only the Brits can explain. Olivia Colman gave the best performance in the supporting category last season, but I barely understood the things she said in The Father while I understand almost everything Sir Anthony Hopkins said in the same film. I think the different regions speak differently. Someone already confirmed Patrizia and Maurizio didn’t sound alike cos they’re from different regions in Italy.

It sounded to me like Stewart was just whispering depressingly. Anyway, having a nomination on lock is already a huge achievement for her. She really needs this

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Yeah… The idea that the Academy won’t watch Spencer is one of the dumbest things I’ve seen on this forum. It’s hugely buzzed about. A lot of them have worked with Kristen personally or know her casually or are just like the rest of us and have watched her ‘journey’ – her relationship with the tabloids/social media, her ‘scandal’, child actor to indie actress to Twimania… If you think the fervor to see the Spencer reviews was just confined to “us” then you’re very naive. I’ve seen Ava Duverney, Sharon Stone, Judd Apatow like posts and articles about Kristen in the last few days alone. If you think her peers are not paying attention and won’t be all over those screener then you’re very stupid.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Fir those who are in such confusion over Diana’s accent then why don’t you just look on YouTube? Y’all are doing way too much. Her accent is fantastic.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.