Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 535 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
kaziz
Plumpshell
  • Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Fanboys taking over Gold Derby again, I see.

I never said the Academy will not watch the film. What i implied was that it will not be one of the most watched contenders (screeners) this year. Because it is literally not that type of film. I don’t care if Jesus tweeted about Kristen Stewart 10 times, SPENCER is going to be a hard sell. The same way JACKIE was. And you can’t win an Oscar if voters aren’t seeking out or passionately watching your film/performance.

And regarding that accent, all you have to do is go watch videos of Diana Spencer and compare it with Stewart. We will not be debating the obvious here. And I am not the only one who quite CLEARLY noticed the weird accent.

No stop it. I love the film, love the performance, yet am very REALISTIC in its chances this awards season.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I love it when people who clearly have no ear for accents try to pretend they know what they’re talking about. It’s not like I’m any kind of expert myself so you won’t find me criticising Lady Gaga’s accent work in House of Gucci, for example. I am British so I can say with reasonable confidence that Stewart does a great job with Diana’s distinctive vowels.

You wouldn’t be able to properly judge Gaga’s accent either way. The woman she’s playing spoke italian not english so any accent from her (or any of the other actors in the film) serves solely the purpose of characterization, selling audiences from around the world that the woman on screen is italian and is currently in Italy talking to her italian family and friends in english… BUT in a stereotypical italian accent.

That’s none of Gaga’s fault obviously just how the Hollywood industry works when telling stories about people from non-english speaking countries, you just have to throw a strong accent and a little bit of a broken grammar and BOOM, italian.

Profile picture
    Viridiana
    Topics:

You wouldn’t be able to properly judge Gaga’s accent either way. The woman she’s playing spoke italian not english so any accent from her (or any of the other actors in the film) serves solely the purpose of characterization, selling audiences from around the world that the woman on screen is italian and is currently in Italy talking to her italian family and friends in english… BUT in a stereotypical italian accent. That’s none of Gaga’s fault obviously just how the Hollywood industry works when telling stories about people from non-english speaking countries, you just have to throw a strong accent and a little bit of a broken grammar and BOOM, italian.

Well, in her inteview with Vogue, Gaga said she did prep the accent, even paying attention to regional differences so she´s making it an important thing in her performance (even if it´s unrealistic to think any of those characters would speak english).

Profile picture
    Matty
    Topics:

Saw Spencer and although I loved that performance(one of the best in the history), I think she will have to campaign hard to get that Oscar. The film itself is really weird so Neon has to make sure that the academy members watch the film.

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

And regarding that accent, all you have to do is go watch videos of Diana Spencer and compare it with Stewart. We will not be debating the obvious here. And I am not the only one who quite CLEARLY noticed the weird accent.

go search “Spencer  Kristen stewart” on twitter right now. Literally nobody is saying they couldn’t understand her, or that her accent is weird. It’s nothing but huge praise and amazement that she pulled it off. Even anyone who thought the movie was weird said Kristen was superb.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Well, in her inteview with Vogue, Gaga said she did prep the accent, even paying attention to regional differences so she´s making it an important thing in her performance (even if it´s unrealistic to think any of those characters would speak english).

I do think she is paying attention and putting her effort in it, but as you said the english is very unrealistic and there is only so much she can do with trying to portray someone in a different language from their own, because the regional differences would be in the italian they speak and wouldn’t necessarily apply to how those people would sound in english, but she is from an italian family, I’m not critizing the casting at all just pointing out a Hollywood habit and replying to that post explaining how her accent wouldn’t be properly evaluated by any stardards in this case.

Profile picture
    fexo
    Topics:

Saw Spencer and although I loved that performance(one of the best in the history), I think she will have to campaign hard to get that Oscar. The film itself is really weird so Neon has to make sure that the academy members watch the film.

One of the best in film history, but can’t win an oscar? lol

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

go search “Spencer Kristen stewart” on twitter right now. Literally nobody is saying they couldn’t understand her, or that her accent is weird. It’s nothing but huge praise and amazement that she pulled it off. Even anyone who thought the movie was weird said Kristen was superb.

I totally understood what Kristen was saying and I’m not even a native English speaker. Anyway, I loved the movie and her performance but I have my doubts about this making it into BP. It’s weirder and more artsy than I thought. The audience in my theater didn’t seem to love it and more than a few left before the movie ended. Will enough voters slot this into their Top5?

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

Spencer is less accessible than Jackie. I don’t see it making it in Best Picture at all. Also, I wonder if because of that Stewart just wins critics like Portman and nothing else. I really can see someone upsetting her at SAG maybe even globes also.

Profile picture
    FreemanGriffin
    Topics:

This Gaga vs Stewart talk is reminding me of last year when it was Davis vs Mulligan all Oscar season and then McDormand, the dark horse, won. This could happen again this year. We aren’t really going to know anything until February, though – we need to see who they actually nominate and how much support in other categories their films get too. I would be shocked though if it were Chastain – I have my doubts if she will even be nominated at all and currently have her in my fifth slot, pending seeing Nicole Kidman and a few other actresses who have a viable shot at it. If House of Gucci gets 8 or more nominations (including BP) that will help Gaga enormously.

Profile picture
    MM
    Topics:

Fanboys taking over Gold Derby again, I see. I never said the Academy will not watch the film. What i implied was that it will not be one of the most watched contenders (screeners) this year. Because it is literally not that type of film. I don’t care if Jesus tweeted about Kristen Stewart 10 times, SPENCER is going to be a hard sell. The same way JACKIE was. And you can’t win an Oscar if voters aren’t seeking out or passionately watching your film/performance. And regarding that accent, all you have to do is go watch videos of Diana Spencer and compare it with Stewart. We will not be debating the obvious here. And I am not the only one who quite CLEARLY noticed the weird accent. No stop it. I love the film, love the performance, yet am very REALISTIC in its chances this awards season.

The accent is not even the problem, through the whole movie she just whispers, the movie looks like a perfume ad and there is just no story, a stylish movie with Diana’s eating disorder and self-harm.

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

That screener will be at the top of all their Blu-ray piles and we all know it.

Physical screeners (DVDs) for Ampas members are a thing of the past fyi. In person or online in the official “screening room” only now I believe.

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Fanboys taking over Gold Derby again, I see. I never said the Academy will not watch the film. What i implied was that it will not be one of the most watched contenders (screeners) this year. Because it is literally not that type of film. I don’t care if Jesus tweeted about Kristen Stewart 10 times, SPENCER is going to be a hard sell. The same way JACKIE was. And you can’t win an Oscar if voters aren’t seeking out or passionately watching your film/performance. And regarding that accent, all you have to do is go watch videos of Diana Spencer and compare it with Stewart. We will not be debating the obvious here. And I am not the only one who quite CLEARLY noticed the weird accent. No stop it. I love the film, love the performance, yet am very REALISTIC in its chances this awards season.

It doesn’t matter what “type” of film it is? I explained in one sentence why it will be watched by everyone. If Spencer wasn’t art house but a crowd pleaser traditional biopic instead it would still be the “most” watched because of who is the star and who she is playing…what is difficult to understand about that? Which movie do you think more people will be interested in this season and please explain why?

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Again: we are in a different Academy from five years ago. Pablo Larrain is in a different position from five years ago. Kristen Stewart is in a very different position from where Natalie Portman was. Saying this will be like how Jackie was is a surface-level take.

I also think people are overstating how weird it is. It’s got an arty edge, sure, but it’s not a Lucile Hadzihalilovic joint.

Profile picture
    gofyb
    Topics:

Spencer was never going to be a crowd pleaser. It was obvious from the very start. Many walked out of the theater and that’s understandable. There’s no point denying it or making it sound like a flaw.

and when it comes to accent, I’m not an expert, and English is not my first language nor it is my second. And for me, who grew up watching American tv shows and movies, British accent was always hard to understand. It doesn’t help that there’re dozens of dialects that sometimes even British people may not understand each other. But if you close your eyes and listen she definitely sounds like Diana. No, it’s not identical. I mean, only Diana could sound like Diana. And this is the closest we’ve come for someone to sound like her. Even in Crown, imo, Emma, a born British, didn’t much try to replicate it.

if we’re talking abt Gaga’s accent, I don’t know how Italian accent sounds but I know how Russian does. And I can tell people are not making it up. I don’t get why they’re even supposed to be talking in English with Italian accent, when the film takes place in Italy with Italian people.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.