Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 535 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
kaziz
Plumpshell
  • Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Just so everyone knows, user Diamond Tier is DM’ing details about the plot of Spencer to multiple users to spoil them and ruin their experience (I know.. complete loser). That being said, if you have received a DM from them about Spencer, I suggest not opening before you watch. Thankfully, I had already seen it at TIFF.

Lmao, wasn’t he banned?

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

Lmao, wasn’t he banned?

Yeah, what, I thought so too

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, The Great, Reservation Dogs, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Pachinko, Severance, Yellowjackets

Profile picture
    Almond
    Topics:

I heard a rumor Diana eventually dies after that weekend. Hope that spoiler isn’t real

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Just so everyone knows, user Diamond Tier is DM’ing details about the plot of Spencer to multiple users to spoil them and ruin their experience (I know.. complete loser). That being said, if you have received a DM from them about Spencer, I suggest not opening before you watch. Thankfully, I had already seen it at TIFF.

Oh, sorry you had to deal with that, but you were one step ahead. Only pure trash would do that.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Walking to her win

The girls are just not ready to see her stomping on their fave.

Profile picture
    Victor Cruz
    Topics:

This forum will go nuts when Chastain easily gets in just like they did last year with Andra Day. 😂

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

FINALLY watched Spencer, thank goodness. Now I can finally weigh in.

For the few people who don’t know about my personal biases:
    – I have long loved Stewart as an actor (she was impeccable in Clouds of Sils Maria!) and was genuinely befuddled by why she—who I do not at all see as a “transformative” actor, was doing this. I didn’t think I’d like her in it, because I like her being naturalistic, and bring herself to every character because she does it brilliantly.
    – Prior to Spencer, for me Tessa Thompson gave the best performance I’d seen, followed closely by Olivia Colman. Both stratospheric.

OK. So… she’s incredible. Truly, truly, truly incredible. I don’t really love this film that much, I think it has an uneven beginning and a bit of a sagging middle but a triumphant final third.

But Stewart IS the movie, and I have to say: I am just freaking blown away by what she taught me about her own approach to acting. She transformed enough: she had the accent down pat, she had the gait. But I’m not the kind of viewer who cares THAT MUCH about transforming physically, but it made me realize how critical the things she did do to transform were to her overall performance. The thing is: this could be a story about anyone’s internal life. It is totally believable for anyone’s internal emotional strife, over 3 difficult days, would be this roiled up. She made it specific, but honestly I feel like she inhabited a few different versions of Diana through the film and I LOVED it. More importantly, it felt so incredibly self-aware: Stewart knows perfectly well when she’s playing petulant, when she’s playing warm and, when she’s being self-indulgent etc. She brings herself to the character, of course, which I love (YESSSS!) but what I love more is: Kristen Stewart makes you realize how little Kristen Stewart matters in a film about the historic figure she’s playing. This required humility as well, not just courage. Bravo!

She basically IS the film, but I have to separate them to some degree because that is way too much pressure to put on an actor. In terms of how to rank them, I can’t: this is on par with Tessa but they’re radically different I cannot compare them. The fact that Spencer is even being talked about and in predix for BP—to a far greater degree than Jackie imo—is a testament to Stewart. I’ll talk about the film in the BP thread, but anyway: on my ballot, it would be incredibly close yes but this is an incredible performance that I might hand the win to YEP. 3 stratospheric performances in 1 year, and in Oscar contention, is more than I’m used to seeing.

(I’ve seen Chastain, Hudson, McDormand, Comer, Jones & Reinsve as well. Reinsve is lovely, Jones is lovely, Comer is hella talented but this isn’t the best showcase, McDormand is dependably good in a silly film imo. Chastain & Hudson for me…… I just don’t think they’re comparable to what Stewart is doing. Her definition of “transformative” is so radically different and one that I agree with. I just find the other 2 unnecessary displays in bad films. They’re just not for me.)

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart won’t win the oscar, you heard it here first folks.

Johnny Depp Is A Monster

Profile picture
    Jacob "Oscar Boy" Boe
    Topics:

FINALLY watched Spencer, thank goodness. Now I can finally weigh in. For the few people who don’t know about my personal biases: – I have long loved Stewart as an actor (she was impeccable in Clouds of Sils Maria!) and was genuinely befuddled by why she—who I do not at all see as a “transformative” actor, was doing this. I didn’t think I’d like her in it, because I like her being naturalistic, and bring herself to every character because she does it brilliantly. – Prior to Spencer, for me Tessa Thompson gave the best performance I’d seen, followed closely by Olivia Colman. Both stratospheric. OK. So… she’s incredible. Truly, truly, truly incredible. I don’t really love this film that much, I think it has an even beginning and a bit of a sagging middle but a triumphant final third. But Stewart IS the movie, and I have to say: I am just freaking blown away by what she taught me about her own approach to acting. She transformed enough: she had the accent down pat, she had the gait. But I’m not the kind of viewer who cares THAT MUCH about transforming physically, but it made me realize how critical the things she did do to transform were to her overall performance. The thing is: this could be a story about anyone’s internal life. It is totally believable for anyone’s internal emotional strife, over 3 difficult days, would be this roiled up. She made it specific, but honestly I feel like she inhabited a few different versions of Diana through the film and I LOVED it. More importantly, it felt so incredibly self-aware: Stewart knows perfectly well when she’s playing petulant, when she’s playing warm and, when she’s being self-indulgent etc. She brings herself to the character, of course, which I love (YESSSS!) but what I love more is: Kristen Stewart makes you realize how little Kristen Stewart matters in a film about the historic figure she’s playing. This required humility as well, not just courage. Bravo! She basically IS the film, but I have to separate them to some degree because that is way too much pressure to put on an actor. In terms of how to rank them, I can’t: this is on par with Tessa but they’re radically different I cannot compare them. The fact that Spencer is even being talked about and in predix for BP—to a far greater degree than Jackie imo—is a testament to Stewart. I’ll talk about the film in the BP thread, but anyway: on my ballot, it would be incredibly close yes but this is an incredible performance that I might hand the win to YEP. 3 stratospheric performances in 1 year, and in Oscar contention, is more than I’m used to seeing.

I’m surprised that Tessa’s so high for you. After reading Passing, it doesn’t seem like that kind of role. More of a Meryl-Streep-in-ThePost kind of role.

Emmys FYC:

Comedy Series - Abbott Elementary, Atlanta, The Great, Reservation Dogs, What We Do in the Shadows

Drama Series - Pachinko, Severance, Yellowjackets

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m surprised that Tessa’s so high for you. After reading Passing, it doesn’t seem like that kind of role. More of a Meryl-Streep-in-ThePost kind of role.

I 100% did not expect Tessa to steal the film for me, honestly. Negga has the role that I expected from the book. Problem is: Hall understands the material SO BLOODY WELL that Tessa being the narrator, and the prism through which we view things made the whole film her showcase… she’s brilliant, as is Negga, but you know how the book will only succeed if the narration does? Same deal here 🙂

And no it’s still not your typical, the old-fashioned view of “Oscar-bait” showy. But in the past few years I’ve seen performances that succeed for the same reasons Tessa might, so yeah she’s fantastic.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart easily hands in my favorite performance of the year. Believe all of the hype. I think Spencer shares the title of being my most favorite movie of the year with TPOTD, with Spencer edging out Dog just a little bit more. The places Stewart went to and the elevation she brought to the material she was given was mind-bending. I need her to win the Oscar, dears.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    JV
    Topics:

Spencer is at 61% now on Audience Score. Let’s see if it will maintain in the 60’s when there are more reviews. The Favourite had 69%, for comparison

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I feel like the talk about The Lost Daughter being polarising and inaccessible is a bit over done like it was for Pieces of a Woman and Promising Young Woman last season. Is it a dark film? Yes. But it’s also essentially a psychological drama starring Olivia Colman.

FYC:

"The Good Fight", "The Other Two" and "Station Eleven" in all categories, Sarah Lancashire ("Julia"), William Jackson Harper ("Love Life") and Luke Kirby ("The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel")

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Spencer is at 61% now on Audience Score. Let’s see if it will maintain in the 60’s when there are more reviews. The Favourite had 69%, for comparison

Honestly I expect an art house movie about the world’s most famous woman played by the world’s most controversial actress to ceiling in the 60s, anything more would be a shocking success

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    gofyb
    Topics:

I’m so scared I’m not gonna like it because I have too high expectations from all this praise. And the movie’s coming out here only in December. I like Kristen for her performances like in clouds of Sils Maria, she’s so effortlessly good in it. Like she’s not even trying, and still steals the show. When her character suddenly disappears, the movie loses its meaning its ground and even someone like Juliette Binoche can’t hold it alone. And with Spencer I literally can see her acting, trying a tad too hard. Even her walk changes. I mean maybe this is what all the people who complained abt her playing herself wants, but we’ll see if it’s my cup of tea or not.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.