Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 535 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
kaziz
kallewickans_3
Plumpshell
  • Profile picture
    amydunne
    Topics:

also in other good news,

spencer hit 4.0 on letterboxd! really great and somewhat surprising considering the amount of mixed audience opinions.

FYC:
    Spencer (IN ALL CATEGORIES)
    Passing (IN ALL CATEGORIES)
    The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Chitanda170
    Topics:

From what I read on RT (the verified audience reviews) people’s most complaints weren’t about Kristen herself, but rather the character of Diana that the movie portrays to be. And a lot of people were also expecting the movie to show more of Diana’s life.

Reviews on IMDb are savage, i think the disappointment with the general public is that they wanted to see the sweet Diana, i haven’t seen the movie but many people said the movie portrays Diana as an unstable person and there’s even a lesbian scene. People don’t want to see that side of Diana.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

My personal favorites and hopes so far:

1. Penélope Cruz – Parallel Mothers
    2. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter
    3. Frances McDormand – The Tragedy of Macbeth
    4. Jodie Comer – The Last Duel
    5. Kristen Stewart – Spencer

Performances I think are okay but don’t really care about it enough to want it nominated: Jessica Chastain, Tessa Thompson, Emilia Jones.

Performances I haven’t seen yet but looks promising: Nicole Kidman, Lady Gaga, Alana Haim, Rooney Mara.

Performances I don’t like: Jennifer Hudson. Thomasin McKenzie.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

In case anyone isn’t aware: Amazon moved Being the Ricardos to Original Screenplay on their FYC site.

Is that good or bad i posted that link lmao

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Lucas, you get a pass, because this is your first offense of woeful ignorance, but Corrin’s snub at BAFTA is not surprising at all. They have a well-established anti-Crown bias. But as for you Griffin… what is with your ridiculous takes? You are active in the forums, and you’ve been on GoldDerby for quite some time, yet you seem to know absolutely nothing. Yeah, there were huge snubs last year. And then what happened? They changed the rules so that the two most-nominated people automatically get in. So as long as Stewart is one of them, she’s in. And with this frontrunner status she’s attained, she’ll probably be one of them. You just baffle me, because it’s like you try to act ignorant.

Damn, I like this no non-sense approach.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

An interesting topic arises… aren’t we past the point where we assume that X public figure is/was exactly who we think they are/were? Diana, like almost everybody placed in the spotlight, was whoever the media wanted them to be.
    Unless you shared a life with her there’s no way of knowing her true self (and even in a marriage, especially HERS, that is hard to see). She had a stellar public persona, but why should we want to see something that will never see the light of day for obvious reasons?
    She was probably a mess, like the rest of us. This movie is just a portrayal, some will like it and others won’t. What I find naïve is the set of complaints in the vein of “she wasn’t the Diana I grew to love.”

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

And she made us all pay with “Old”. What a vengeful woman.

No one could fuck up every talented actor better than Shyamalan.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Ash
    Topics:

When Alana Haim wins lead actress out of nowhere on Oscar night and all are predications was for nothing.

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

An interesting topic arises… aren’t we past the point where we assume that X public figure is/was exactly who we think they are/were? Diana, like almost everybody placed in the spotlight, was whoever the media wanted them to be. Unless you shared a life with her there’s no way of knowing her true self (and even in a marriage, especially HERS, that is hard to see). She had a stellar public persona, but why should we want to see something that will never see the light of day for obvious reasons? She was probably a mess, like the rest of us. This movie is just a portrayal, some will like it and others won’t. What I find naïve is the set of complaints in the vein of “she wasn’t the Diana I grew to love.”

Precisely this. And more to the point, it is not a betrayal, or slander, or whatever else overly defensive people might say, to suggest that there are other sides to a person. To me Spencer made her more likable, not less.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

Halle Berry
    Jessica Chastain
    Olivia Colman
    Alana Haim
    Kristen Stewart

Profile picture
    kbc
    Topics:

She was probably a mess, like the rest of us. This movie is just a portrayal, some will like it and others won’t. What I find naïve is the set of complaints in the vein of “she wasn’t the Diana I grew to love.”

Indeed. The polarization in the film’s reception owes a lot to the viewers’ expectations. This was reflected in the early reports of varied responses in the “industry” to Spencer. As I mentioned previously, the risk here is that either some viewers (whether in the industry or outside it) simply don’t understand what Larrain is aiming for with this film, or they do but think it’s poorly done and aren’t on board with it. So now we’ll see how Neon, like Bleecker Street with Mass, does shepherding a film through awards season without a specialty-box-office pop to it (No doubt the studio is looking at the relative b.o. success of The French Dispatch–and Searchlight’s now being poised to use it as leverage to refresh awards prospects for Wes Anderson’s film–with some envy right now). It also doesn’t seem likely to benefit from a strong uniform wall of positive buzz (a la Parasite) the way that Flee could when it bows theatrically early next month. Not that Flee is a BP surprise to come, necessarily, but that it will probably be more wholly embraced by a larger number of critics than Spencer. This is also the potential case for The Worst Person in the World, but for now the studio is treating it as an international-film category play only, from its release plans, though again its performance with precursors may compel a rethink.

Back to Spencer: My take is that Kristen Stewart‘s nomination is secure, as she delivers what Larrain wanted and then some, but my confidence isn’t as high about noms in the picture, directing and screenplay categories. As always, this is subject to change as Spencer (“final”-ish scores of RT 85 and MC 78) and its competition wind their way through the thick of the precursor segment of the season. Plenty of road ahead….

FYC
    Best Picture: Jockey
    Director: Clint Bentley
    Actor: Clifton Collins Jr.
    Supporting Actress: Molly Parker
    Supporting Actor: Moises Arias
    Original Screenplay: Clint Bentley, Greg Kwedar
    Cinematography: Adolpho Veloso
    Film Editing: Parker Laramie
    Music Score: Aaron & Bryce Dessner

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

The Tragedy of Macbeth is a stronger Best Picture contender than almost any other actress vehicle this season though. I’m not saying she will win, but she shouldn’t be underestimated in terms of a nomination here.

I mean…

It sure seems like it doesn’t it? But at the same time, there’s a huge disjuncture between its critical response and the desire to reward it (almost the same MC score as TPOTD, universal acclaim), and having seen it I truly believe it’s…not a BP contender at all, and I do not think I am alone in that at all. I genuinely think it may not get in because films like The Lost Daughter, CODA, Passing, C’mon C’mon are also critically acclaimed and people feel far more passionately about them.

I don’t really know how to convince anyone of this lol. There’s a reason not many people are talking about it; nobody was really talking about it after I watched it at NYFF. I genuinely feel like it struggles a great deal to justify another Shakespeare adaptation, and I know that the folx at NYFF I spoke to couldn’t get themselves to care either, despite the incredible technical marvel.

So…no, I don’t think McDormand is in the strongest BP contender at all. I do not mean this in a hectoring way at all btw, very much an argument based on my subjective experience 🙂 Lmk if it comes across as otherwise, sorry.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

Na, she’s classy unlike Melissa Leo

ugh this is what I’m talking about.  It’s perfectly normal to curse at such an insane moment in your life. Whether it accidentally slips out or you purposely drop it to punctuate how you are feeling it always shocks me how upset some ppl get..  If your kid is traumatised after hearing an f bomb then they’re in real trouble!!

Profile picture
    Ivan Ranjit
    Topics:

Here’s where I see the race (purely my opinion):

Stewart is definitely in the lead but she’s not a definite for the win as some people think

Gaga is definitely getting nominated. I think that should be good enough for her considering she is only 2 films old. If the reviews are strongish there is a chance she will compete for the top slot. Both the Gold Derby editors (Joyce and Chris) have included Gaga after watching the movie (they didn’t have her in prior)

Frances, Colman and Cruz are strong. The rest I’m really not sure as we don’t know exactly how Nicole has performed. She was awful in Grace of Monaco so she’s not always amazing in biopics.

Profile picture
    Anthony 🐜
    Topics:

Jessica Chastain is winning the Oscar, people.

jess

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 406 through 420 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.