Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 535 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
kaziz
Plumpshell
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart easily hands in my favorite performance of the year. Believe all of the hype. I think Spencer shares the title of being my most favorite movie of the year with TPOTD, with Spencer edging out Dog just a little bit more. The places Stewart went to and the elevation she brought to the material she was given was mind-bending. I need her to win the Oscar, dears.

As someone who didn’t particularly love the film, the fact that I’m so high on Stewart feels even bigger because not only does she elevate it, for me it’s quite literally the ONLY reason anyone should even watch it. She’s THAT great.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Why are we putting stock in audience scores again? Didn’t they give decent scores for Gotti?

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I feel like the talk about The Lost Daughter being polarising and inaccessible is a bit over done like it was for Pieces of a Woman and Promising Young Woman last season. Is it a dark film? Yes. But it’s also essentially a psychological drama starring Olivia Colman.

Yeah, totally. I feel like it’s like this with so many films this year. Remember when TPOTD premiered in Venice and it was “polarizing” and then literally every film that premiered was “polarizing” (even Dune!)…… it feels like only TPOTD got away with it, but none of them are truly polarizing. Not even Spencer, I mean for all that talk I expected it to be SO WEIRD and it’s just not lol.

There’s a bunch of films that may leave people “cold”. I know when Passing ended, that would be how a lot of people would see it & I did as well but then I understood why that was a GREAT thing. The Tragedy of Macbeth is probably a film that left me so cold and I can’t bring myself to appreciate it. I think there’s a lot of great films this year that make viewers think, and because the critics groups haven’t started up, we’re stuck with the pundits’ clean separation between “crowdpleasers” and seeming “art house/polarizing/divisive/whatever the fuck”. I’m just waiting for certain “crowdpleasers” to come out and people to realize that they’re not…really.

CODA is the crowd-pleaser of the year in the fullest sense in that there’s nothing inoffensive about it, it’s moving AND it does exactly what it’s set out to do. I don’t see too many others like that.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

As someone who didn’t particularly love the film, the fact that I’m so high on Stewart feels even bigger because not only does she elevate it, for me it’s quite literally the ONLY reason anyone should even watch it. She’s THAT great.

Yes, prior to watching, I truly didn’t think I would like it. Especially with the Anne Boleyn plotline and the finite window of time the story takes place in. But with Stewart’s bravura performance, Larrain’s direction, Mathon’s cinematography, and Greenwood’s intense score, it struck an emotional chord with me in a way that I was not expecting. The beginning and some of the middle initially left me alienated from what it was trying to do and the pacing felt somewhat off, but the third act really did it for me and it was such a delight. I see why people think it’s a little too on the nose and have gripes with it, but I guess that’s why I took to it so much? I read your review on the Picture thread and I loved your take on the film! I love that Spencer is causing a variety of different opinions on the film. (I’m glad we can agree Stewart knocked it out of the park though haha.)

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

Why are we putting stock in audience scores again? Didn’t they give decent scores for Gotti?

It’s also obviously rigged. The general rating is 83%. Almost 4.0 out of 5.0 on Letterboxd. 7.9 on Metascore.

People, Spencer is LIKED by the audience.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I don’t want to bring this up really but there is a big possibility that Don’t Look Up becomes the most succesful Best Picture nominee this year, House of Gucci is the only other film that appeals to the general public in a large scale but as we know theatrical openings are very weak. So the fact that Don’t Look Up is a Netflix film and also a comedy directed by Adam McKay who is someone the Academy has shown a lot of love before, with one of the biggest all star ensambles ever – 6 previous oscar winners, 2 previous nominees and even some pop stars included – (Leonardo Dicaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Ariana Grande, Timothée Chalamet, Jonah Hill, Mark Rylance, Kid Cudi, Chris Evans, Matthew Perry, Tyler Perry) makes me think that there is a possibility Jennifer Lawrence could get a boost from a very succesful film and become a late breaker in the race and given how well loved she is by the Academy maybe land a nomination… She was nominated for very weak performances before and Adam McKay has a track record for nominations for very weak performances in his films so I wouldn’t be totally surprised. I guess it depends on how Netflix well plays it’s cards this season, they seem to care enough for Don’t Look Up to have Ariana Grande promoting it on Jimmy Fallon more than one month in advance so there is potential.

Profile picture
    Münster
    Topics:

It’s also obviously rigged. The general rating is 83%. Almost 4.0 out of 5.0 on Letterboxd. 7.9 on Metascore.

People, Spencer is LIKED by the audience.

The RT Audience Score REQUIRES proof of ticket purchase for the rating to count, unlike the other three scores you cherrypicked.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Her portrayal is so intricate down to diana slouchy posture.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

I don’t want to bring this up really but there is a big possibility that Don’t Look Up becomes the most succesful Best Picture nominee this year, House of Gucci is the only other film that appeals to the general public in a large scale but as we know theatrical openings are very weak. So the fact that Don’t Look Up is a Netflix film and also a comedy directed by Adam McKay who is someone the Academy has shown a lot of love before, with one of the biggest all star ensambles ever – 6 previous oscar winners, 2 previous nominees and even some pop stars included – (Leonardo Dicaprio, Jennifer Lawrence, Meryl Streep, Cate Blanchett, Ariana Grande, Timothée Chalamet, Jonah Hill, Mark Rylance, Kid Cudi, Chris Evans, Matthew Perry, Tyler Perry) makes me think that there is a possibility Jennifer Lawrence would get a boost from a very succesful film and could become a late breaker in the race and given how well loved she is by the Academy maybe land a nomination… She was nominated for very weak performances before and Adam McKay has a track record for nominations for very weak performances in his films so I wouldn’t be totally surprised. I guess it depends on how Netflix well plays it’s cards this season, they seem to care enough for Don’t Look Up to have Ariana Grande promoting it on Jimmy Fallon more than one month in advance so there is potential.

I don’t see Jennifer Lawrence getting into Best Actress under almost any circumstances. I don’t see a scenario where Netflix gets more than two candidates into actress and she’d have to push out Olivia Colman or Tessa Thompson to achieve a nomination.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

The RT Audience Score REQUIRES proof of ticket purchase for the rating to count, unlike the other three scores you cherrypicked.

Let’s wait until we have some per theater averages and a CinemaScore before we say the general audience dislikes Spencer.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I don’t see Jennifer Lawrence getting into Best Actress under almost any circumstances. I don’t see a scenario where Netflix gets more than two candidates into actress and she’d have to push out Olivia Colman or Tessa Thompson to achieve a nomination.

What you mean? Jennifer Lawrence who is a previous winner and 4 time nominee, an industry favorite, has no chance to push out Tessa Thompson who is in a small scale indie movie with very little buzz? If Don’t Look Up becomes successful and critics like it at least a little bit I can see it happening, I hope it doesn’t but it could. Vice has a 61 MC score and somehow got Best Picture, Screenplay, Director, Best Actor, Supporting Actor and Supporing Actress.

Profile picture
    Piper Halliwell
    Topics:

So what? Some ratings can still be mean-spirited, verified or not.

FYC 2022 Emmys:

Best Actress in a Drama Series: Sandra Oh in "Killing Eve"

Best Actress in a Comedy Series: Sandra Oh in "The Chair"

Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series: Kim Joo-ryoung in "Squid Game"

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Sam Rockwell got nominated for Vice because it was a weak year for Supporting Actor, and Amy Adams got nominated because she’s Amy Adams. We’re in a very strong year for Actress, and JLaw already has her Oscar.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Sam Rockwell got nominated for Vice because it was a weak year for Supporting Actor, and Amy Adams got nominated because she’s Amy Adams. We’re in a very strong year for Actress, and JLaw already has her Oscar.

Well thanks for stating the obvious with she already has one, which is totally not the point I’m making. Sam Rockwell was in a very weak year but somehow Timothée Chalamet gave a Golden Globe, SAG and BAFTA nominated performance and was snubbed, very interesting, and Amy Adams got a nomination because she is Amy Adams as if Jennifer Lawrence’s name doesn’t hold the same – if not more – weight to industry people. I don’t want her to be nominated just being very honest, but this “very strong year for Best Actress” would be a very atypical lineup without some popular performances and all I’m saying is that it could happen.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.