Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 10 posts - 526 through 535 (of 535 total)
Created
7 months ago
Last Reply
7 months ago
replies
views
users
kallewickans_3
kaziz
Plumpshell
  • Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Finally!!!

Glad Netflix is spreading the love amongst its oscar hopefuls.

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

You can’t compare Gaga to other actresses who were nominated for their first major film role. Gaga walked into A Star Is Born with ten times more fame than any of the other nominees. Sure, she wasn’t going to be given an automatic nomination just because of that fact, but she had a lot less to prove than people like Carey Mulligan, Yalitza Aparicio, or Gabourey Sidibe. I mean hell she’d already won a Golden Globe for acting.

Famous popstars-singers who transit (or tried) into acting have always had it hard, being famous in another field doesn’t always guarantee being successful in the movie one, the contrary there’s often stigma and a snobbish attitude towards them, especially when we had tones of cases like Madonna, J.Lo, Whiteny, Britney, Jessica Simpson, Mariah and others who notoriously won Razzies and have been attached to panned movies.

Aparicio and Sidibe cannot even be compared to Mulligan who is a privileged white rich British woman who has studied acting since she was a child and had previous experiences before getting nominated for Oscar.

Profile picture
    wattsgold
    Topics:

Gaga is way more beloved than those people and her movie has insane hype which all of the other movies combined did not get. Glenn Close is a respected legend, but she’s not beloved like Helen Mirren, Meryl Streep and Judy Dench are. No one cares that much for Mulligan. She doesn’t seem to catch a break…..there’s just no hype around her. Robbie is the current IT girl and I, Tonya was her first try. She’ll win in the coming years, but she doesn’t have the kind of hype Mother Monster has….PS..I love Robbie. She should have won for I, Tonya and her second nomination should have been for Mary Queen of Scotts. Academy loves Lady Gaga. Some of her best musical performances were at the Oscars. She may not win this year, but she’s in a better position than those people. Her competition is also weaker in the sense that none is in a juggernaut BP contender like Ronan and McDormand were in the I, Tonya year (and Promising Young Woman year as well). Ronan is also an IT girl who even had more hype than Robbie back then. Kristen Stewart is no Saoirse Ronan and she’s defeatable. She’s struggling to kill the general perception of hers that’s been for years with Spencer. So Gaga has a softer competition

What the fuck was this? LMAO I see words but no sense is made. Honey, go out and take some air. So many bad takes for a mediocre (or plain bad, who knows) contender.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

Famous popstars-singers who transit (or tried) into acting have always had it hard,

Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson, Cher, Justin Timberlake, and Mark Wahlberg are just some of the famous pop stars-singers who’d like to say hello.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

Bing Crosby, Elvis Presley, Barbra Streisand, Kris Kristofferson, Cher, Justin Timberlake, and Mark Wahlberg are just some of the famous pop stars-singers who’d like to say hello.

so gaga is on their level? interesting

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

I said they have it hard not that they don’t exist, Barbra Streisand and Cher still represent a minority compared to all the ones that tried and fail.

Also we’re talking about Oscars, some of the people you mentioned never got any kind of acting award recognition like Justin Timberlake or Presley.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Challenge of the day: lets maybe stop talking about Gaga for just 24 hours until the embargo lifts tomorrow and we get the critics reactions.

I already have a fatigue from seeing her name constantly in this thread and I’m a Gaga fan.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

some of the people you mentioned never got any kind of acting award recognition like Justin Timberlake or Presle

Timberlake received a SAG award nomination as part of the acting ensemble in The Social Network, and received strong acting reviews for his role in the Coen Brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis. My point was that your assertion that “Famous popstars-singers who transit (or tried) into acting have always had it hard,” is not entirely true. A number have receiving accolades for their acting, and in any event, success for a singer/pop star transitioning to acting is not defined solely, or even primarily, by how many acting awards the pop star receives. I readily concede that while a number of his films were commercially successful, Elvis was never, to my knowledge, considered a strong actor. I’m just a little tired of some of the hyperbole some posters engage in on this forum.

Profile picture
    Babylonian
    Topics:

Timberlake received a SAG award nomination as part of the acting ensemble in The Social Network, and received strong acting reviews for his role in the Coen Brothers’ Inside Llewyn Davis. My point was that your assertion that “Famous popstars-singers who transit (or tried) into acting have always had it hard,” is not entirely true. A number have receiving accolades for their acting, and in any event, success for a singer/pop star transitioning to acting is not defined solely, or even primarily, by how many acting awards the pop star receives. I readily concede that while a number of his films were commercially successful, Elvis was never, to my knowledge, considered a strong actor. I’m just a little tired of some of the hyperbole some posters engage in on this forum.

Has Justin Timberlake ever played a lead role? Most of the examples like Bing Crosby and Elvis are too long ago to be real comparisons to Gaga’s chances for House of Gucci.

FYC:

Everything Everywhere All At Once in every eligible category

Hold My Hand - Lady Gaga for Best Original Song

Profile picture
    Cosmia
    Topics:

Comparisons have their uses but just saying “x is the y of the season” is lazy.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 10 posts - 526 through 535 (of 535 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 24)’ is closed to new replies.