Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Diamond Tier
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Note to self: do not make tongue in cheek comments in these threads.

lol sorry hard to tell on the interwebs sometimes.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have no idea what to do with Jennifer Hudson. On the one hand Respect looks quite crowd pleasing but on the other it’s releasing way too early (and this is still an extended season at least in campaigning) and Hudson could be another Taron Egerton (hand-picked by the singer they’re portraying, acclaimed performance that ultimately peaks in buzz too early and a thespian who there may be too little a drive to award).

That being said unless the film ends up flopping either critically or commercially (I feel confident in it doing well at least in the latter respect although I don’t think it will reach Bohemian Rhapsody‘s levels of success with this pandemic), I don’t see Hudson being below 8th.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

‘risky’

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

George must have heard from his sources Comer isn’t strong and is “playing it safe”

I also heard that Netflix plans to campaign Joey King for The Kissing Booth 3 and wants her to win a Best Actress Oscar as a representation for the whole trilogy. Get her on this list, GoldDerby!

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I also heard that Netflix plans to campaign Joey King for The Kissing Booth 3 and wants her to win a Best Actress Oscar as a representation for the whole trilogy. Get her on this list, GoldDerby!

Funnily enough some people around me really wonder why movies like Kissing Booth never gets anywhere near Oscars lol

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Since I don’t see Mr. Pink’s posts excexcept in quotes (thank the lord), like…….I dunno why it takes some people so long to get that many folx on here do actually have access to insider info. Wtf else do you expect from members of an anonymous awards predix website forum lol. I have no trouble believin ya insider info George, keep it coming! Gossip is FUN! (Please don’t get into trouble tho)

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I have no idea what to do with Jennifer Hudson. On the one hand Respect looks quite crowd pleasing but on the other it’s releasing way too early (and this is still an extended season at least in campaigning) and Hudson could be another Taron Egerton (hand-picked by the singer they’re portraying, acclaimed performance that ultimately peaks in buzz too early and a thespian who there may be too little a drive to award). That being said unless the film ends up flopping either critically or commercially (I feel confident in it doing well at least in the latter respect although I don’t think it will reach Bohemian Rhapsody‘s levels of success with this pandemic), I don’t see Hudson being below 8th.

I feel the same way, I feel like she could easily be snubbed even if her performance is acclaimed (which it most certainly will be). I get the feeling that MGM has other priorities overall (I say “overall” because who actually believes Respect will be nominated for Picture?) and might push her off to the sidelines a bit. Her being a previous winner does mean she’s more in the eyes of the Academy, but to go back to the Taron comparison Elton John was an Oscar winner himself before Rocketman was made. It’s not like they were unaware of Elton either, they just didn’t have passion for Taron. I feel the same could happen with Respect, especially if its Metascore is around 50-60 range

FYC

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I have no trouble believin ya insider info George, keep it coming! Gossip is FUN! (Please don’t get into trouble tho)

You say this, but I’m being conservative with what I’m saying here. There’s something I wanted to mention in my Respect post, but that is something I’ve been specifically told to keep my mouth shut about. So I’m gonna save it until the time is right

FYC

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I have no idea what to do with Jennifer Hudson. On the one hand Respect looks quite crowd pleasing but on the other it’s releasing way too early (and this is still an extended season at least in campaigning) and Hudson could be another Taron Egerton (hand-picked by the singer they’re portraying, acclaimed performance that ultimately peaks in buzz too early and a thespian who there may be too little a drive to award).

That being said unless the film ends up flopping either critically or commercially (I feel confident in it doing well at least in the latter respect although I don’t think it will reach Bohemian Rhapsody‘s levels of success with this pandemic), I don’t see Hudson being below 8th.

I thinkkkkk you’re right to be skeptical. The Egerton example is pretty good, and the release date is definitely an issue. The thing for me is though that even though many love to hate on Hudson, when in her wheelhouse she can be fantastic and I also think some of her competitors might release really late, so…she’ll be assumed for a while, the only things we’ll get in the meantime are probably critics groups (who, let’s face it, aren’t gonna pick her anyway).

Aug is a good month to get ahead of the buzz of fall festivals lol. But most competitors will sort of be getting in thru anticipation and critics prizes. Nightmare Alley, TPOTD, HoG, probably Tragedy of Macbeth, even West Side Story are late, TLD and Dune are coming in the interim and only one of those has a competitor. So she’ll have a long ass period when she’ll supposedly be in, unless ofc the film gets Hillbilly Elegy reviews. Which I doubt.

I also just have a feeling she’ll be better than we expect her to be. It’s been a while since Dreamgirls, she’s gotten to practice acting quite a bit since then, so she’ll be giving it her all (and in the clip, I liked how restrained she was! Not over the top at all).

FYC:

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

You say this, but I’m being conservative with what I’m saying here. There’s something I wanted to mention in my Respect post, but that is something I’ve been specifically told to keep my mouth shut about. So I’m gonna save it until the time is right

Well George, like I always tell my Mum who does stuff like this to me all the time “if you’re not going to tell me, at least don’t tease me! 😋

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Hudson also strikes me as someone who would have benefitted from a Globe boost (which she obviously won’t be getting this year). They love biopic performances (even awarding Andra Day for that flop movie last year and Russell Crowe for a Showtime mini series that went nowhere at the Emmys).

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Hudson also strikes me as someone who would have benefitted from a Globe boost (which she obviously won’t be getting this year). They love biopic performances (even awarding Andra Day for that flop movie last year and Russell Crowe for a Showtime mini series that went nowhere at the Emmys).

That’s also true. I dunno what’s going on with me. I careened from being a JHud skeptic (Cynthia Erivo was brilliant, release date sucks, and I don’t like musical biopics in general for some reason) to somebody who thinks she might just be the only one I can imagine at the top of the pack. I don’t want it to be true (Dunst!) but somehow I think it is.

A month from now maybe I’ll start saying “she’s not happening” but I gotta say…….it’s such an empty looking field to me right now

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.