Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Diamond Tier
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Good god why have some instead of moving on from derailing the thread by dragging films from last year’s race gone on now to comparing Promising Young Woman and I May Destroy You. Regardless of the fact that neither are relevant to next year’s Oscar race, it’s such a stupid comparison. It’s like saying The Count of Monte Cristo and The Irishman are similar films because they both have a violent scene in their films.

And no I’m not some I May Destroy You hater (it’s my favourite show of 2020) or some “deluded Promising Young Woman fanatic”. But the Gold Derby trolls can feel free to call me such. I need strong comic relief right now.

This you?

Not all of you theorising over which of Lupita, Regina and Viola will become the second black best actress winner when my girl Michaela will beat (or shall I say destroy) them all 😉

Yikes! Not you pitting WOC against each other.

Profile picture
    Kelvin
    Topics:

Would credible website, worldofreel.com, lie? The Hollywood Reporter & Variety could never!

I think this post was intended to me 🙂 you made it clear you don’t believe the rumours

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Good god why have some instead of moving on from derailing the thread by dragging films from last year’s race gone on now to comparing Promising Young Woman and I May Destroy You. Regardless of the fact that neither are relevant to next year’s Oscar race, it’s such a stupid comparison. It’s like saying The Count of Monte Cristo and The Irishman are similar films because they both have a violent scene in their films.

And no I’m not some I May Destroy You hater (it’s my favourite show of 2020) or some “deluded Promising Young Woman fanatic”. But the Gold Derby trolls can feel free to call me such. I need strong comic relief right now.

Dunno if you meant me wolfali but I think I brought up IMDY, only to caveat that my view of PYW was most definitely colored by the fact that I watched it immediately after, and therefore I was probably much harsher than need be. They don’t deserve to be compared, I just…happened to. That may have snowballed into a discussion I don’t see (or care to lol)

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

To compare Promising Young Woman and I May Destroy You would be like comparing Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line. They deal with similar themes and characters, but their approach to said themes and characters is wildly different from one another. Fennell is taking a different approach than Coel in the same way that Spielberg took a different approach than Malick. That’s not hard to understand

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Promising Young Woman is a film about a woman who is seeking revenge after her friend was raped. <i>I May Destroy You</i> is a television show following the psychological toll someone faces after being a victim of rape. They may deal with a similar subject matter but at the end of the day they’re two very different projects.

Anyway this isn’t the place to be discussing this. I apologise if I brought anything up.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Can we please stop with the Mulligan stuff now? It’s not relevant to the thread and it’s just feeding into the weirdly hostile environment that the Actress threads always seem to have.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

I have never really been impressed by Kristen Stewart up until now (not a hater, I just think she’s ok in her arthouse films) but with these early raves and with Larrain (I LOVED Jackie) I am excited to see her in Spencer.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

I do feel slightly worried that Spencer is a little too inaccessible and be snubbed, ala Adam Sandler for Uncut Gems, but Stewart has the benefit of playing Princess Diana which I feel could help her. Either way, I’m sensing this being the most raved performance of her career.

Adam Sandler wasnt snubbed cause the film is “inaccessible” (it isnt). Didnt you see how horribly A24 did that year with The Farewell and The Lighthouse also flopping across the board? It was their fault on focusing screeners to Indie Spirit lol

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

To compare Promising Young Woman and I May Destroy You would be like comparing Saving Private Ryan and The Thin Red Line. They deal with similar themes and characters, but their approach to said themes and characters is wildly different from one another. Fennell is taking a different approach than Coel in the same way that Spielberg took a different approach than Malick. That’s not hard to understand

Similar to you comparing PYW to Gone Girl and A Woman Under The Influence just yesterday

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

If A24 is horrible at campaigning, just imagine how bad NEON will be with Spencer. Their track record, as of late, hasn’t been the best. Ammonite was a flop.

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

If A24 is horrible at campaigning, just imagine how bad NEON will be with Spencer. Their track record, as of late, hasn’t been the best. Ammonite was a flop.

This changes every year, it depends on strategy. A24 didnt know what film to focus in 2019 and ended up flopping with all of them. However last year they did a great job with Minari and it payed off (at the expense of films like First Cow being ignored tho).

NEON spent every cent they had on Parasite (which made Clemency forgotten). Then last year they had a visibily weaker pack and it didnt work.

Sony Pictures also known as a flop for years. But last year they focused on sending The Father screeners to the industry awards and skipping critics. Also worked since they ended with 2 wins at Oscars and BAFTAs.

Profile picture
    ReddWhite
    Topics:

Hey insiders, any news on Blanchett in Nightmare Alley? Is she definitely going Lead?

Emmys FYC: Jean Smart.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

NEON spent every cent they had on Parasite (which made Clemency forgotten).

Alfre Woodard was ROBBED. Still pissed about that.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Alfre Woodard was ROBBED. Still pissed about that.

I agree, the surprise BAFTA nom was a delight

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.