Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Diamond Tier
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

What makes me really think Kidman might be able to pull off a win if the movie is released this year is that Sorkin could write the perfect part for her. It’s fun to shit on Sorkin and the Academy hasn’t been quite as fond of him as others (snubbing Steve Jobs, Chicago 7 getting no wins), but actors love his work. Chicago 7 still won SAG Ensemble with little passion in the industry because they eat it up. Coupled along with the fact that they love Kidman, especially in the last few years, and she’s playing Lucille Ball, I would watch out for her winning at SAG, especially since she didn’t win for The Hours. SAG would be a major sign of support for her

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

What makes me really think Kidman might be able to pull off a win if the movie is released this year is that Sorkin could write the perfect part for her.

Maybe, but with the exception of Allison Janney’s role on West Wing, Sorkin is fairly notorious for not writing good roles for women. For example, see https://www.indiewire.com/2012/07/aaron-sorkins-female-trouble-the-women-of-the-newsroom-242093/

Profile picture
    Foolio
    Topics:

Maybe, but with the exception of Allison Janney’s role on West Wing, Sorkin is fairly notorious for not writing good roles for women. For example, see https://www.indiewire.com/2012/07/aaron-sorkins-female-trouble-the-women-of-the-newsroom-242093/

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I read the article and yeah it’s very concerning. Regardless, that might not be an issue in the eyes of the industry, which of course remains to be seen. With Lucille Ball being the main character and with the family being involved in the project, I have a dash of optimism that it go over fine. I’m not a huge Sorkin fan, though, outside The Social Network and Steve Jobs (not having seen his TV work), so there’s a concern there

FYC

Profile picture
    storminthedark
    Topics:

First reviews on Letterbox for Respect are very mixed. Two 2 1/2 star reviews, one 3 1/2 and one 4 1/2. Some quotes:

“So conventional that they forgot to include some of the conventions; I find it ironic, just a little bit, that the film is more concerned with Aretha the performer than Aretha the person. But it plays the hits, and if you’re with a good crowd, there’s enough to enjoy.”

“What a shapeless mess of a movie. Some good music in there, but it’s really long. As my friend said, go watch Amazing Grace instead.”

“Oh yeah Jennifer’s getting the Oscar for this one.”

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

First reviews on Letterbox for Respect are very mixed. Two 2 1/2 star reviews, one 3 1/2 and one 4 1/2. Some quotes: “So conventional that they forgot to include some of the conventions; I find it ironic, just a little bit, that the film is more concerned with Aretha the performer than Aretha the person. But it plays the hits, and if you’re with a good crowd, there’s enough to enjoy.” “What a shapeless mess of a movie. Some good music in there, but it’s really long. As my friend said, go watch Amazing Grace instead.” “Oh yeah Jennifer’s getting the Oscar for this one.”

Im waiting until the reviews on MC and RT. unless its scored below 40 on MC or 50% on RT JHud should be safe. Keep in mind that handpicked by the real person isnt the only factor. She is the only WoC who is strong enough to score noms if words about Tessa Thompson performace is too quite are true.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Münster
    Topics:

She was phenomenal as Virginia Woolf in The Hours

Ew, no.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Ew, no.

Stay mad.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Kidman’s (first) Oscar should have been for To Die For.

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design
    "CODA" – in all categories

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Kidman’s (first) Oscar should have been for To Die For.

The way I literally planned on watching that today lol

FYC

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

First reviews on Letterbox for Respect are very mixed.

I love Letterboxd but it shouldn’t be legitimized as a credible source for critical consensus. It’s basically an extension of Film Twitter & a lot of the reviews are written by trolls/stans.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

If is was illegal for straight white cis males to write weak roles for women, POC and LGBTQ characters, the jails would be far more overcrowded then they already are.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

Too early, I know, but I think if any biopic wins this year here, it’ll be Aretha’s. Luckily for Jennifer, there aren’t any other similar roles to siphon off votes like there was with Andra. Universal was wise to push Respect back.

Still waiting to see how TEOTF fairs, but that release date isn’t too promising. I do not see Nicole winning a second Oscar for her film (as of yet). The comeback nomination will likely be the reward after being passed over several times recently.

Profile picture
    JGibson
    Topics:

Why would it? Focus rarely occupy many spots, they usually focus on 1 contender (see 2019 Blackkklansman and 2020 PYW), 2017 remains their best year as they managed 3 BP nominations). Also, Focus and Searchlight aren’t the only studios to get people nominated for Oscars? Gaga and Jhud will be fine.

MGM also has Soggy Bottom coming later so I think either Respect or Gucci will be clouded early on based on reception. I guess only Netflix been able to get 3+ films on nominations with ease, and they always flop with wins anyway.

Right now unless Respect is a total juggernaut I believe it will early peak and lost steam by december/january. Still, nothing is too sure.

Viewing 15 posts - 481 through 495 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.