Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 503 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Diamond Tier
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson, Respect Tessa Thompson, Passing Halle Berry, Bruised Octavia Spencer, Encounter Naomie Harris, Swan Song Chanté Adams, A Journal for Jordan

People who already saw Passing have said that Thompson is not going to be a contender.

Berry deserves an Oscar comeback, but initial reviews for the unedited version of that film were pretty meh. Also the fact that’s directed by herself…

Swan Song sounds like such an interesting project. I really want to see what it’s all about.

I think Chanté Adams is going to be in the conversation.

And I don’t know nothing about that Octavia Spencer project, but I’m glad she has an upcoming leading role!

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Awkwafina and Lupita not being nominated was a travesty

Yeah. True. I didn’t love Awkwafina’s performance but the film was lovely. Lupita and Us were fantastic.

But I do feel like it’s an even bigger problem than that. Halle Berry, Lupita N’yongo are previous winners. I kinda tend to focus on why films get snubbed. Us was not an “Oscar” film because it wasn’t as plainly about race as the Oscars like, it was weirder and more complex! And the best BIPOC performances are in….indie films, and the ones we hear about are the ones that are lucky enoug to make it to the Indie Spirits or BAFTA. Madeline’s Madeline. Tangerine. Support the Girls. Clemency. Rocks. Waves. Miss Juneteenth. Pariah. Every so often somebody like Shaka King or Ruth Negga gets lucky, but for the Oscars don’t wanna even watch those films, which is why there’s whole separate festivals devoted to Black or AAPI films we never even hear about :/

And they’re just not…the typical, I dunno, musical biopic or slavery story or stories from the “hood”. Awards have made POC films seem very homogenous, but obviously they’re not.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

That’s just a sad, sad fact about the Academy’s history

A lot of users & major outlets perpetuate those same racial biases that voters institutionalized to gate-keep specific categories to remain all White. Whether it’s the “there are no Black films/performances worthy of contention” narrative or using contradictory arguments to justify projects primarily with POC as non-factors or “not baity enough”, it’s all a sad fact.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Part of the issue is that studios aren’t willing to campaign them as well. Are there some movies and performances the Academy would never go for? Absolutely. But if there’s an aspect of a film you deem accessible enough and you think deserves awards, why not campaign them? It’s worth a shot at least.

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

People who already saw Passing have said that Thompson is not going to be a contender.

Who are these “people”? Legitimate reviewers? Reliable publications? Because if not, I’m not trusting some anonymous GoldDerby or Twitter user claiming to know “insiders”.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Who are these “people”? Legitimate reviewers? Reliable publications? Because if not, I’m not trusting some anonymous GoldDerby or Twitter user claiming to know “insiders”.

People who saw the film at Sundance (like myself and at least one other user who posts pretty frequently), and they include “legitimate reviewers” and “reliable publications”

FYC

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Awkwafina and Lupita not being nominated was a travesty

These two as well (in supporting)…

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    Lucas
    Topics:

The film premiered at Sundance

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

In regards to Tessa Thompson in Passing, I think she’s far too subtle to get a nomination. She’s not Franny Granny where she can shit in a bucket and win an Oscar, she’s still a rising star in certain respects. Negga has a shot, but she’s Supporting through and through. Negga also has the advantage of being a previous nominee, so there’s that.

But that is, in and of itself, not right. I get that something’s up with Passing the film in that it’s not connecting right or something, but let’s just say hypothetically if Thompson were to get in: it would be a very unconventional performance for the Academy in a very good way because the whole phenomenon of “passing” requires white viewers to watch behaviors and emotions that they’re just not used to seeing. It’s a very in-community sort of thing, and the sheer idea of Thompson’s character even having to deal with Negga’s is…genuinely fascinating and riveting (to read anyway). In a way I’m rooting for it because it’s kind of just not the sort of emotional trajectory Black actors get rewarded for, but they can be in the future & that’s great!

Interestingly, I think Ruth Negga in Loving was a bit pathbreaking as a nomination. It’s possibly the most subtle performance I’ve seen nominated in Best Actress in the past decade or so, and probably my favorite, because it’s a Black woman’s resilience shown in a very unshowy way, as a matter of fact, which is of course, true to life! I loved it.

FYC:

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

But that is, in and of itself, not right. I get that something’s up with Passing the film in that it’s not connecting right or something, but let’s just say hypothetically if Thompson were to get in: it would be a very unconventional performance for the Academy in a very good way because the whole phenomenon of “passing” requires white viewers to watch behaviors and emotions that they’re just not used to seeing. It’s a very in-community sort of thing, and the sheer idea of Thompson’s character even having to deal with Negga’s is…genuinely fascinating and riveting (to read anyway). In a way I’m rooting for it because it’s kind of just not the sort of emotional trajectory Black actors get rewarded for, but they can be in the future & that’s great! Interestingly, I think Ruth Negga in Loving was a bit pathbreaking as a nomination. It’s possibly the most subtle performance I’ve seen nominated in Best Actress in the past decade or so, and probably my favorite, because it’s a Black woman’s resilience shown in a very unshowy way, as a matter of fact, which is of course, true to life! I loved it.

Netflix is behind it, so it’s possible that they could get them in. But my confidence level isn’t very high

FYC

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

I also heard that Netflix plans to campaign Joey King for The Kissing Booth 3 and wants her to win a Best Actress Oscar as a representation for the whole trilogy. Get her on this list, GoldDerby!

A refreshing choice at last!

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

A refreshing choice at last!

Oscars FYC:
    "THE POWER OF THE DOG" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "SPENCER" – In all categories especially Director (Pablo Larrain) and Actress (Kristen Stewart)
    "SHIVA BABY" – in all categories especially Picture, Adapted Screenplay, Score
    "TOGETHER" – Actress (Sharon Horgan), Actor (James McAvoy), Original Screenplay
    "FLEE" – IN ALL CATEGORIES
    "LAST NIGHT IN SOHO" – Director (Edgar Wright), S. Actress (Anya Taylor-Joy/Diana Rigg), Cinematography, Costume Design and Production Design

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Netflix is behind it, so it’s possible that they could get them in. But my confidence level isn’t very high

I feel like my comments are coming completely out of order with others’ so I don’t know which people I have just responded after, but I wasn’t taking issue with you George. Obviously I may well disagree with after having seen the movie, but that’s another thing altogether. I’m mostly just taking issue with that whole quoted comment about “There are a plenty of films with POC in contention. Stop feeding that inaccurate narrative.” because there’s plenty of POC on Gold Derby who’ve been continually trying to talk about films with POC that aren’t being taken seriously. It happens every year—and peaks with the Indie Spirits and sometimes critics groups like NYFCC because people realize that some…very wonderful POC films/performances they haven’t heard of even exist.

Like when Regina Hall got the boost for Support the Girls from NYFCC which got the ball rolling on other critics awards. That was lovely.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

In regards to Tessa Thompson in Passing, I think she’s far too subtle to get a nomination.

Ruth Negga gave a very subtle performance in Loving yet managed to break through a competitive Best Actress line up. The Oscars don’t always go for boisterous or showy roles.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I mean if you wanna take it out on Erik Anderson, Sasha Stone, Anne Thompson and the other experts, sure—they form narratives and “prognosticate”. But the other users on here aren’t them.

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.