Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 503 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
Music Forever
kaziz
  • Profile picture
    Music Forever
    Topics:

But the other users on here aren’t them.

Your exact words were, “Yeah it’s a pretty white year”. So yes, some users do legitimatize those problematic, racially biased, narratives with their posts & predictions.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Yeah. True. I didn’t love Awkwafina’s performance but the film was lovely. Lupita and Us were fantastic. But I do feel like it’s an even bigger problem than that. Halle Berry, Lupita N’yongo are previous winners. I kinda tend to focus on why films get snubbed. Us was not an “Oscar” film because it wasn’t as plainly about race as the Oscars like, it was weirder and more complex! And the best BIPOC performances are in….indie films, and the ones we hear about are the ones that are lucky enoug to make it to the Indie Spirits or BAFTA. Madeline’s Madeline. Tangerine. Support the Girls. Clemency. Rocks. Waves. Miss Juneteenth. Pariah. Every so often somebody like Shaka King or Ruth Negga gets lucky, but for the Oscars don’t wanna even watch those films, which is why there’s whole separate festivals devoted to Black or AAPI films we never even hear about :/ And they’re just not…the typical, I dunno, musical biopic or slavery story or stories from the “hood”. Awards have made POC films seem very homogenous, but obviously they’re not.

Halle Berry role  is grittier she plays an mma fighter at the age of 55. It doesn’t matter if you won. The Academy doesn’t care  about film twitter  if they did Carey Mulligan could’ve won last year but if they like the role film they will gave  you the award  look at Frances last year.

1. Kirsten Stewart

2. Lady Gaga

3. Jennifer Hudson

4. Frances Mcdormand

5. Halle Berry

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I Think Hudson is the safest since she would be filling the checkboxes to nominate at least one POC in Lead Actress unless the movie is really, really bad that they have to nominate another POC, in this case Tessa Thompson.

The comparison with Egerton does make sense, but keep in my mind that Egerton is a white man. You will get slandered by Public if you don’t nominate any POC.

FYC-Nightmare Alley in All Categories (Best Picture, Guillermo Del Toro for Best Director, Bradley Cooper for Best Actor, Cate Blanchett for Best Actress, Rooney Mara for Best Supporting Actress, Richard Jenkins for Best Supporting Actor)

FYC-Last Night in Soho (Edgar Wright for Best Director, Thomasin McKenzie for Best Actress, Anya Taylor Joy for Best Supporting Actress, Edgar Wright and Krysty Wilson Cairns for Best Original Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Halle Berry role  is grittier she plays an mma fighter at the age of 55. It doesn’t matter if you won. The Academy doesn’t care  about film twitter  if they did Carey Mulligan could’ve won last year but if they like the role film they will gave  you the award  look at Frances last year.

My point was that there’s plenty of performances being given that extremely gifted actors that just don’t even get heard about—Halle Berry’s very talented, but she’s obviously not “nobody”, so she will be taken more seriously than somebody like Helena Howard (Madeline’s Madeline). That’s all.

FYC:
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Passing, The Lost Daughter
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Black actors have been overlooked for 100 years. Even though we are making progress it’s still a shitty situation. It’s like well we will make sure and nominate a black actor in at least a few categories that way we don’t seem racist! We will nominate a few black movies for best picture so we don’t seem racist! Paul Mooney(RIP) was preaching it for decades. No one listened. Yeah we made a bit of progress last year but I frankly think if COVID did not happen, it would have been a per usual oscars so white situation. That’s the MAIN reason why I think Hudson is a guarantee. The academy will be able to check mark that they voted for a black actor and keep it moving.

While I agree with you that there is a tendency for them to put in a black actor as a way for them to say “see we’re not racist”, Hudson isn’t the only option for that this year. Denzel Washington and Will Smith are both deeply in the conversation for a nom, Ariana DeBose is pretty safely in Supporting Actress (she is a black Latina if I’m not mistaken), and you could see someone like Corey Hopkins pop his head up into Supporting Actor (only if Macbeth overperforms though). So Hudson isn’t the only option if they want to have a POC in their lineup just to save face

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

I’m talking about for actress. Actor is a different thread. She’s the best option on paper for best actress thus far for the “we voted black” nominee. Don’t know much yet about Halle’s movie or Passing. I want to know why NO ONE is talking about The Harder They Fall and Ms. King’s chances. Is it just because it has an average trailer? 90 percent of the contenders this year that have trailers have been mediocre as well.

I thought King was supporting?

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I want to know why NO ONE is talking about The Harder They Fall and Ms. King’s chances. Is it just because it has an average trailer? 90 percent of the contenders this year that have trailers have been mediocre as well.

The trailer looked like it was more of an ensemble piece and that there may not be a true lead

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

So Hudson isn’t the only option if they want to have a POC in their lineup just to save face

Yes you’re right & ofc you acknowledged that the Academy does it obviously, but it’s also just….true that in Lead Actress, Hudson is definitely the most in the Academy’s wheelhouse.

You know that, because of what you think of Thompson’s chances for Passing. It’s the same reason Cynthia Erivo got nominated for Harriet, instead of Lupita N’yongo, Zhao Tao, Wang Yuwen, the Parasite cast, Taylor Russell, Marianne Jean-Baptiste, Da’Vine Joy Randolph, Alfre Woodard, Mame Sane, Tessa Thompson for Little Woods, etc and it’s not just that most of them were indies/small studios but also because…..well, there’s certain Black performances/BIPOC performances in general that the Academy historically likes! (It’s changing for sure, especially with recent embraces of Asian actors for unconventional roles, but the general pattern still kinda holds).

Also every year the drumbeat of embarrassment that a Black actress hasnt won in Lead since Halle Berry gets louder and more obvious. The Lead Actress category is under more scrutiny for its Black representation than any of the others.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Tbh Best Actress in particular…yeah I mean when noms are announced it’ll be pretty embarrassing if it’s all white and there’s not even one Black actress who can theoretically win out of the 5. And unless there’s something I’m not seeing, I don’t know who else it could be but Hudson (obviously I could be wrong but that seems the most rational right now, and anyway, it seems perfectly possible that it’ll be all white anyway)

FYC:

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Your fine I have no problem whoever wins best actress but kinda sad that Halle didn’t live up the career. She is expected to after winning an Oscar is it her fault that she gets shitty roles. I so wanted a comeback for Halle just like what Renee had with Judy.

This quote from awards daily

9. Halle Berry (Bruised) – I really REALLY hope the film will be strong because boy, this would be one helluva a narrative : exactly 20 years after she became the first African-American Best Actress winner at the Oscars, she is back to make history again for a film that is also her directing debut because after the industry STILL didn’t know what to do with her post-Oscar in the last 20 years, she had to take matters into her own hands. Now THAT is an Oscar campaign narrative that PR firms would kill for.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

The importance of Aretha Franklin is enough of a reason for Hudson to get in but I think there would be less doubt of her chances if her movie wasn’t being released so early.

Michelle Williams Oscar campaign manager.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Your fine I have no problem whoever wins best actress but kinda sad that Halle didn’t live up the career. She is expected to after winning an Oscar is it her fault that she gets shitty roles. I so wanted a comeback for Halle just like what Renee had with Judy.

This quote from awards daily

9. Halle Berry (Bruised) – I really REALLY hope the film will be strong because boy, this would be one helluva a narrative : exactly 20 years after she became the first African-American Best Actress winner at the Oscars, she is back to make history again for a film that is also her directing debut because after the industry STILL didn’t know what to do with her post-Oscar in the last 20 years, she had to take matters into her own hands. Now THAT is an Oscar campaign narrative that PR firms would kill for.

Yeah lol I guess it would be quite a narrative. But as long as there’s other Black actresses who seem like stronger contenders (like JHud) to win, Halle Berry wouldn’t actually…get to use the narrative? It’s a narrative to win if she’s the only Black actress nominated, but not necessarily a narrative to get nominated in the first place?

I feel you re: her career tho

FYC:

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 503 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 3)’ is closed to new replies.