Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 30)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 30)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 555 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
6 months ago
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
M
Lil Tony
  • Profile picture
    GD
    Topics:

– “JLaw is great, but she needs more. Leo and others the real MVPs”. – GD: “Jlaw is IN! Raves!” How does that work? gjhdjg

lol calm down that’s not what I said.
    And you take ONE critic who said that, everyone I read she was praised

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I’m tired darling, so I made this instead

I wish we could see this at nomination morning.
    See you again darlings.

GORJ. I’m beginning to think Gaga won’t make it—Kidman will be in instead.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

lol calm down that’s not what I said. And you take ONE critic who said that, everyone I read she was praised

Not one single person said she was Oscar worthy. Just fantastic/great like the rest of the cast, but not a standout.

Profile picture
    Olsen
    Topics:

I wish we could see this at nomination morning. See you again darlings.

I think you would love Gaga’s role, darling.

Profile picture
    braydenfitzsimmons
    Topics:

Every review makes Gucci seem like both a masterpiece and absolute trash.

I love it.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

Lol Lawrence is likelier than some of the girls this site is still sticking to.

A few weeks ago I made a very detailed post about how there could be a possibility where Lawrence would crash the race – based on her vehicle, industry love and Netflix’s strong campaign – but some people said I was crazy and that they would favor Tessa Thompson over her and now, even with the movies still weeks away, she’s already gaining some traction.

We know it’s a streaming service so they won’t do all that much promo before the movie is available but once the large all star ensemble starts promoting the film everywhere she could pick even some serious steam… I mean it’s DiCaprio, Lawrence and Streep in a McKay movie. (Besides those 3 there are Ariana Grande, Timothée Chalamet, Kid Cudi, Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, Chris Evans, Matthew Perry, Mark Rylance and Rob Morgan, all of whom will bring some form of publicity to the film)

I can’t see myself liking the film or the performance all that much so I hope it doesn’t happen but it wouldn’t shock me at all.

Profile picture
    wolfali
    Topics:

Never count Searchlight off, I can’t tell if they ever missed with a lead actress contender,

They missed in 2019 (although their biggest contenders were Jojo Rabbit and A Hidden Life, the former of which didn’t have a female lead and the latter wasn’t a contender).

Otherwise the last they properly missed with a best actress contender was in 2014 with Julia Louis-Dreyfus for Enough Said (she had Globe and Critics Choice nominations). That year the best actress lineup was comprised of three lead from best picture nominees (Adams, Bullock and Dench) and two performers from films that also had supporting acting nominations (Blanchett and Streep).

FYC:

"The Good Fight" and "The Other Two" in all categories.

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

They missed in 2019 (although their biggest contenders were Jojo Rabbit and A Hidden Life, the former of which didn’t have a female lead and the latter wasn’t a contender).

Otherwise the last they properly missed with a best actress contender was in 2014 with Julia Louis-Dreyfus for Enough Said (she had Globe and Critics Choice nominations). That year the best actress lineup was comprised of three lead from best picture nominees (Adams, Bullock and Dench) and two performers from films that also had supporting acting nominations (Blanchett and Streep).

Great call! But I don’t think 2019 counts jdbdjd and yeah 2014 was the most unfavourable (and not really deserving) situation.

Not that Chastain is in a good position either, but at least is a dramatic vehicle carried by her performance that ultimately is the only thing that sells it.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Lol Lawrence is likelier than some of the girls this site is still sticking to.

Her film is also more likely to get in for BP and BD than some of the films their faves are in.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

A few weeks ago I made a very detailed post about how there could be a possibility where Lawrence would crash the race – based on her vehicle, industry love and Netflix’s strong campaign – but some people said I was crazy and that they would favor Tessa Thompson over her and now, even with the movies still weeks away, she’s already gaining some traction. We know it’s a streaming service so they won’t do all that much promo before the movie is available but once the large all star ensemble starts promoting the film everywhere she could pick even some serious steam… I mean it’s DiCaprio, Lawrence and Streep in a McKay movie. (Besides those 3 there are Ariana Grande, Timothée Chalamet, Kid Cudi, Jonah Hill, Cate Blanchett, Chris Evans, Matthew Perry, Mark Rylance and Rob Morgan, all of whom will bring some form of publicity to the film) I can’t see myself liking the film or the performance all that much so I hope it doesn’t happen but it wouldn’t shock me at all.

I’m quoting myself because I just saw they had DiCaprio, Lawrence, Streep and Hill attend a screening for BAFTA voters, where they answered questions and casually mentioned an original song from Ariana and Kid Cudi as McKay’s favorite moment from the film. Yep, this is Netflix.

Profile picture
    deaetee
    Topics:

I replaced Lady Gaga with Jennifer Lawrence because could potentially be a coattail nominee, considering her film is likely a Best Picture nominee.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

GORJ. I’m beginning to think Gaga won’t make it—Kidman will be in instead.

You’ve never had her in your prediction. So stop acting like you ever believed in her

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

Gucci:

Went in with low expectations after all the reviews and was just blown away. The accents are fine except for Leto who was ridiculous but the crowd (who were mainly women and old men) clearly enjoyed him. They couldn’t stop laughing. The audiences are going to eat this up. And by the way, europeans can sound funny when they speak english. Maybe americans who’ve never been to Europe should keep that in mind.

Lady Gaga gave just an impeccable performance. She was charming when she was playing the ingenue young Patrizia and compellingly transformed into a complete sociopath towards the end. Her versatility in this movie proved her as a real movie star. I very much prefer her acting here to ASIB.

Editing: The movie moves fast. But it’s a biopic that tries to cover as much necessary detail as possible. My guess is that a lot of people just didn’t know anything about the Gucci story. So maybe they were a bit confused by the flow the events. The flow is perfectly fine, at least for people who know a little about the story. I guess the boring part is the middle when Maurizio’s deal-making with the arab investors was taking more screen time than it should have. But that’s my only complaint.

Adam Driver was great. People who complain about “chemistry” clearly never watched a real life video of Maurizio. He was shy and awkward. And Adam portrayed him faithfully. He’s not going to be the charming Bradley Cooper shouting “Can I take another look at you…”

Go see it. It’s not a slog nor a mess. I cant find an explanation as to why some critics hated it. I guess they must’ve really gotten used to slow, artisty movies with a lot of dialogue and a slow pace of events. This is definitely a crowdpleaser with commercial audiences more in mind than anything else.

4.5/5

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Gucci: Went in with low expectations after all the reviews and was just blown away. The accents are fine except for Leto who was ridiculous but the crowd (who were mainly women and old men) clearly enjoyed him. They couldn’t stop laughing. The audiences are going to eat this up. And by the way, europeans can sound funny when they speak english. Maybe americans who’ve never been to Europe should keep that in mind. Lady Gaga gave just an impeccable performance. She was charming when she was playing the ingenue young Patrizia and compellingly transformed into a complete sociopath towards the end. Her versatility in this movie proved her as a real movie star. I very much prefer her acting here to ASIB. Editing: The movie moves fast. But it’s a biopic that tries to cover as much necessary detail as possible. My guess is that a lot of people just didn’t know anything about the Gucci story. So maybe they were a bit confused by flow the events. The flow is perfectly fine, at least for people who know a little about the story. I guess the boring part is the middle when Maurizio’s deal-making with the arab investors was taking more screen time than it should have. But that’s my only complaint. Adam Driver was great. People who complain about “chemistry” clearly never watched a real life video of Maurizio. He was shy and awkward. And Adam portrayed him faithfully. He’s not going to be the charming Bradley Cooper shouting “Can I take another look at you…” Go see it. It’s not a slog nor a mess. I cant find an explanation as to why some critics hated it. I guess they must’ve really gotten used to slow, artisty movies with a lot of dialogue and a slow pace of events. This is definitely a crowdpleaser with commercial audiences more in mind than anything. 4.5/5

Critics only cares for borefests most of the time. Glad you enjoyed it

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 555 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 30)’ is closed to new replies.