Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 32)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 32)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Aaron Kalloo
Plumpshell
Opium
  • Profile picture
    PrincessConsuelo
    Topics:

Finally watched Spencer and, unsurprisingly, Stewart blew me away! I loved the film overall and find it baffling that it’s not sitting at a 90+ on metacritic. The cinematography and score were other standouts and both are winworthy. I also thought Sally Hawkins was a revelation who should totally be in the conversation for a nomination. Overall, I can’t decide whose performance I love more between Tessa Thompson and Kristen Stewart, but if Stewart does pull it off I’ll be so happy for her.

I’m also torn between both of them! Tessa was my favorite, but I sadly don’t see her gaining momentum for a nom. And Kristen was excellent. I’m really happy for her because she deserves this recognition after getting so much hate for all those years.

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

If yall think its gonna be a all white actress lineup u have a rude awakening coming

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    Plumpshell
    Topics:

I’m discussing the dissonance between the PR and the screen (describing the chemistry and scene as “hot”), and the tonal dissonance within the movie itself. It is a funny movie but some scenes come across as “is this supposed to be funny or is it just bad?” because the editing and direction left a lot to be desired.

To me, it came across as ridiculous and I didn’t believe for a second that those two people were madly in love. I’ve read the book years ago and I was eager to see it on screen, and I was disappointed. And considering I paid for my own tickets, I care more about my own opinion that yours (or anyone else’s, for that matter). You just seem upset that people didn’t connect with the movie the way you wanted them to. Which is funny, because people here are the first to claim “art is subjective” when it’s about defending their faves.

I don’t give a shit if you connect with it or not. I’m simply stating that you’re perception of the movie and the scene within the movie is skewed bc you decided what it was going to be based on headlines.

Profile picture
    Mickmack
    Topics:

Finally watched Spencer and, unsurprisingly, Stewart blew me away! I loved the film overall and find it baffling that it’s not sitting at a 90+ on metacritic. The cinematography and score were other standouts and both are winworthy. I also thought Sally Hawkins was a revelation who should totally be in the conversation for a nomination. Overall, I can’t decide whose performance I love more between Tessa Thompson and Kristen Stewart, but if Stewart does pull it off I’ll be so happy for her.

You like a whisper performance ha?

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

I’ll take “Things that aren’t true” for $100, Alex.

Uhh diana is known in africa, india, ect…shes worldwide…lucille barley cracks south america

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

Just saw Spencer, Kristen is good, the movie is really meh, now I understand why audiences don’t like it that much. Awards wise, this is Kristen’s show, most of the attention is on her and not the film, so I don’t see it getting in for Picture or Director, I’m expecting nods for Actress, Costumes, Production Design and Score (which was fabulous)

Now, Kristen is good, sometimes excellent, at first it looks like she’s doing an impersonation of Diana, it was too much “look at me I’m acting” but later she really nailed it, she has plenty of good scenes, my favorite were the dinner scene with the pearls (how Kristen was able to say so much without saying anything at all) and when she tells her new dresser that she insists on having Maggie to dress her, also every scene with Sally Hawking was exquisite, the beach scene was heartwarming. A good performance but I’m not sure she will win in the end, a nod is a sure thing. Jackie and Portman are superior.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

Diana is indeed much more known worldwide than Lucille Ball. There’s no question about that. I can speak as someone from the Caribbean.

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

I’m baffled by the number of you who doubt JHUD. Of course, she isn’t winning the Oscar, and her performance in Respect and its screenplay was flawed, but you’re all delusional to think she won’t get nominated for portraying Aretha, especially as hard as she’s been campaigning.

On a related note, my biggest issue is how most of you underestimate black actresses at the Oscars. Y’all either make snarky remarks, write subjective reviews, demean their performances, ignore them altogether, think of them as “lesser” or a “dark horse” (no pun intended) because y’all can’t stand the idea of a black actress winning over your favorite white actress (this season, Stewart). As it pertains to this category, y’all did it to Andra Day earlier this year. The only black actress y’all have ever given a fair chance is Viola Davis, and that’s boggling to me, considering she isn’t the actress y’all think she is.

Whether y’all know/accept it or not, y’all are racist and I see right through you. So yeah, JHUD is getting nominated. Cry later.

So… according to your post, Jennifer will only be nominated for the character she’s playing? Just like Erivo was a couple years ago?

Andra is not a good comparation, Day was nominated in a year we barely had 5 contenders and the sixth one was Amy Adams for a panned film, this year we have plenty of contenders, Kristen is a lock, Kidman is almost a lock, her film is getting traction as a possibly contender across the board, Gaga is campaigning like her life depends on it and she’s the most acclaimed part of HOG (which seems to be a popular film with audiences and industry than with critics), Colman is respected and her performance and film are critically acclaimed (possibly the main push for Netflix in Actress), Frances is beloved within the industry so unless her film gets ignored, she’s gonna make it, Lawrence is in a strong film and could cottail for a nom, Chastain has an incredible transformative role and she was praised a lot for her performance and finally Thompson and Cruz could gain momentum with the critics groups.

The only think Jennifer has going on for her is the character she’s playing, how the Academy loves biopics, and how she will milk the “Aretha picked me to play her” narrative, outside of that, the film bombed with critics and at the box office, her role is not transformative, and she didn’t get praised like other contenders, so yeah people who don’t include her as a top 5 contender is just because they are racist? Most people are rootting for Thompson who sadly is in a film that could be ignored by the industry.

Also, Jennifer is facing internal competition from Gaga and Alana (who is getting rave reviews too in a much stronger Picture contender)

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 286 through 300 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 32)’ is closed to new replies.