Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 32)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 32)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 508 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
replies
views
users
Aaron Kalloo
Plumpshell
Opium
  • Profile picture
    FilmRoyalty
    Topics:

I still think Tessa is in the fight. If she does well with the critic awards, she may even win a televised award.

Things are looking good for Kidman. Not only is she part of that early 00s SUPERSTAR group but she has also had one hell of a career. Many WIN worthy performances. I think Kidman should have won over Natalie Portman in 2010. If she proves every wrong with Being the Ricardos (including me), it’s hers.

Profile picture
    mi_gi_1988
    Topics:

Deadline estimates yesterday:
    House of Gucci (UAR/MGM) 3,441 theaters, 3-day $14.3M, 5-day $21.7M/Wk 1

Deadline estimates today:
    House of Gucci (UAR/MGM) 3,441 theaters, 3-day $15.4M, 5-day $23M/Wk 1

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I don’t think box office is necessarily going to matter for this movie and for a lot of movies this awards season unlike House of Gucci which got mixed reception from critics. This is a major contender for Best Picture, potentially in the winning conversation. I think that will help boost Haim’s chances of a nomination along with her performance that was indeed noted to be a great performance.

In the context of my post, a reply to someone who compared Alana to Gaga in 2018. It’s simply not a valid comparison. Everyone knew who Gaga was in 2018, who was already famous enough at the time, was in a blockbuster movie and made an appearance at almost every festival. Not everyone will know Haim, especially in such a crowded field. These 1100 voters are not Golderby voters or critics. They are actors with often busy schedules. They won’t know who Haim is until she makes herself known to them. PTA is known enough in the industry to get votes in BP or Director.

Hoffman and Haim both got praised, but I don’t see acting nominations for this film. They’re both such low-profile names that I doubt will get enough votes to make the cut.

Profile picture
    GWalters
    Topics:

The fact that Nicole has the same number of oscar nominations as Jennifer Lawrence is embarrassing. Considering Kidman’s much longer and varied career, the academy will have the need to nominate her this time especially for playing their beloved icon Lucille Ball. Kidman is a lock..

Profile picture
    Luca
    Topics:

Yeah, Kidman has been so under-rewarded. But she’s raking in rave after rave — she’s truly coming.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

Yep, Kidman could be very win-competitive. I think she’s really the primary challenger to Stewart IMO.

FYC -
    Picture: The Power of the Dog, Spencer, The Lost Daughter, Mass
    Director: Jane Campion, Pablo Larraín, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Fran Kranz
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Actress: Kristen Stewart, Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman
    Supporting Actor: Kodi Smit-McPhee, Corey Hawkins, Jason Isaacs
    Supporting Actress: Ruth Negga, Kirsten Dunst, Rebecca Ferguson, Martha Plimpton, Ann Dowd
    O. Screenplay: Spencer, Mass
    A. Screenplay: The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter
    Score: Jonny Greenwood (Dog/Spencer)

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Hoffman and Haim both got praised, but I don’t see acting nominations for this film. They’re both such low-profile names that I doubt will get enough votes to make the cut.

Hoffman’s notices haven’t quite been the raves that Haim’s have been, and nowhere near as consistent.

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

In the context of my post, a reply to someone who compared Alana to Gaga in 2018. It’s simply not a valid comparison. Everyone knew who Gaga was in 2018, who was already famous enough at the time, was in a blockbuster movie and made an appearance at almost every festival. Not everyone will know Haim, especially in such a crowded field. These 1100 voters are not Golderby voters or critics. They are actors with often busy schedules. They won’t know who Haim is until she makes herself known to them. PTA is known enough in the industry to get votes in BP or Director. Hoffman and Haim both got praised, but I don’t see acting nominations for this film. They’re both such low-profile names that I doubt will get enough votes to make the cut.

I think the argument with respect to the crowded field  can hurt Gaga as well since her film is mixed. A lot of voters would like to vote for a performance in a movie that they actually liked rather than one they like but in a movie that they didn’t like considering how competitve this category is. And a lot of the perfomances are praised so Gaga is not alone in that area.

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

Who do you guys think will win the Gotham Award?

I think it’s going to Thompson but would not be surprised if its Colman.

I think Colman is so much more the central story of The Lost Daughter, whereas Tessa shares Passing plaudits with Negga and Hall’s visually distinctive directing.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Alana Haim has received universal praise and is in an acclaimed and well-liked film that is expected to be a huge contender. She could end up being the newcomer this year that gets nominated if there’s enough passion out there for her.

Profile picture
    Heptapod
    Topics:

They won’t know who Haim is until she makes herself known to them. PTA is known enough in the industry to get votes in BP or Director.

They might not know Haim before going into the film, but her performance is what makes her known to them. For a Picture frontrunner like Licorice Pizza that we can assume pretty much everyone is probably watching, name recognition does not matter as long as you have the performance that’ll stick in voters’ minds. Yalitza Aparicio, Quvenzhané Wallis, Jennifer Lawrence (for Winter’s Bone), Gabourey Sidibe, and Carey Mulligan weren’t exactly recognizable names before their breakouts in big Picture contenders. The younger nominees rarely are.

Sometimes I think y’all forget that most voters are actually watching the films, not just checking off names on a ballot blindly.

Profile picture
    Opium
    Topics:

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:
    M
    Topics:

But they aren’t voters, and audience scores are going down…

What are you even talking about? You realize they’re talking about box office right? What does that have to do with “voters” lol?

Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

They might not know Haim before going into the film, but her performance is what makes her known to them. For a Picture frontrunner like Licorice Pizza that we can assume pretty much everyone is probably watching, name recognition does not matter as long as you have the performance that’ll stick in voters’ minds. Yalitza Aparicio, Quvenzhané Wallis, Jennifer Lawrence (for Winter’s Bone), Gabourey Sidibe, and Carey Mulligan weren’t exactly recognizable names before their breakouts in big Picture contenders. Sometimes I think y’all forget that most voters are actually watching the films, not just checking off names on a ballot blindly.

Exactly!

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 508 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 32)’ is closed to new replies.