Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 512 total)
Created
2 months ago
Last Reply
2 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Plumpshell
M
ejaru1810
  • Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

I think once Chastain receives the SAG nomination, people might start to believe she’ll get in

The only thing that would make Chastain happen is a SAG nomination, and even there she could easily miss.

Profile picture
    Eve Harrington
    Topics:

What this year has done for me is reveal how this system works. White women automatically get front-runner status. Prior to reviews, award-watchers have them in the top picks and ehen reviews come out, they slowly move up and down. Outside of Viola Davis, WOC do not get that type of reaction. Many will come up with every excuse in the book as to why WOC can’t win but also defend certain wins. -When I say Amy Adams did nothing in Arrival, some say I don’t understand subtle. But they will turn around and say Ruth Negga got in because she is a WOC. -When a White woman gives a good performance in a mediocre film, her nomination is understandable but WOC can’t have that same privilege. Gaga, while DESERVING of her praise was in a mediocre film (that was too damn long and nothing like the trailer had promised) that is at 62 on Rotten Tomatoes and 59 on Metacritic, but she’s in the running. Im not saying Gaga should not be in the fight but can a WOC get that same treatment from Hollywood, pundits, and smaller critics??? I simply believe that the sane pressure that is put on WOC should be placed on White women when it comes to these awards. Not every WOC has to deliver a MoNique-level performance to be considered worthy, especially if White women aren’t delivering it. My rant of the day.

I think the biggest problem is that actresses of color are rarely considered for baity parts (especially in big studio films), and even when they are, studios don’t really campaign for them with the same force.

Profile picture
    M
    Topics:

I think the biggest problem is that actresses of color are rarely considered for baity parts (especially in big studio films), and even when they are, studios don’t really campaign for them with the same force.

Also part of the problem is that biopics tend to be the most oscar-friendly movies. And sadly we have a racist history in this world, so most of the influential/famous women were white.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Chocoesq
    Topics:

What this year has done for me is reveal how this system works. White women automatically get front-runner status. Prior to reviews, award-watchers have them in the top picks and ehen reviews come out, they slowly move up and down. Outside of Viola Davis, WOC do not get that type of reaction. Many will come up with every excuse in the book as to why WOC can’t win but also defend certain wins. -When I say Amy Adams did nothing in Arrival, some say I don’t understand subtle. But they will turn around and say Ruth Negga got in because she is a WOC. -When a White woman gives a good performance in a mediocre film, her nomination is understandable but WOC can’t have that same privilege. Gaga, while DESERVING of her praise was in a mediocre film (that was too damn long and nothing like the trailer had promised) that is at 62 on Rotten Tomatoes and 59 on Metacritic, but she’s in the running. Im not saying Gaga should not be in the fight but can a WOC get that same treatment from Hollywood, pundits, and smaller critics??? I simply believe that the sane pressure that is put on WOC should be placed on White women when it comes to these awards. Not every WOC has to deliver a MoNique-level performance to be considered worthy, especially if White women aren’t delivering it. My rant of the day.

Funny how this is mentioned for Gaga, but not mentioned when Stewart has been the frontrunner for weeks with a movie that is rotten by audience standards and had an underwhelming box office run. The category isn’t best actress in a best picture, it’s best actress. Gaga always had raves even from people who disliked the movie.

Profile picture
    xandyeugh
    Topics:

What do you mean the only thing? When she continues her steamroll of critic noms, gets in at CC, gets in at GG, she can’t make it in because she missed SAG?

YUP. Jessica needs either SAG or BAFTA to get in, but with her movie flopping, it’s better she gets in in BOTH just to be sure.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Anne supported Jessica at a screening of TEOTF in NYC on Thursday  

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Eve Harrington
    Topics:

Also part of the problem is that biopics tend to be the most oscar-friendly movies. And sadly we have a racist history in this world, so most of the influential/famous women were white.

I mean, I guess we are seeing a lot of biopics right now, especially these past few seasons, but even in other kinds of films there’s a dearth of actresses of color. There is no reason why the characters played by Amy Adams in Arrival, Scarlett Johansson in Marriage Story, or Vanessa Kirby in Pieces of a Woman (just to give a few examples, but the list can go on and on) couldn’t be played by an actress of color, with all but minor tweaks to their scripts.

Profile picture
    Whirlwind
    Topics:

I mean, I guess we are seeing a lot of biopics right now, especially these past few seasons, but even in other kinds of films there’s a dearth of actresses of color. There is no reason why the characters played by Amy Adams in Arrival, Scarlett Johansson in Marriage Story, or Vanessa Kirby in Pieces of a Woman (just to give a few examples, but the list can go on and on) couldn’t be played by an actress of color, with all but minor tweaks to their scripts.

That part. White actors get to play (basically) the entire breadth of roles, black actors play almost exclusively “black” roles.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Let us pray. You are one of the few voices of reason on this board. You see through the celebrity gaze. Pray continue.

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    samSVQ
    Topics:

Oh my god, the race is getting interesting now!

So glad for lady gaga, she deserves it

Profile picture
    ejaru1810
    Topics:

What do you mean the only thing? When she continues her steamroll of critic noms, gets in at CC, gets in at GG, she can’t make it in because she missed SAG?

Wow, the Chastain doubters are really making no sense as to why they don’t want to predict Chastain. Just keep it 100 and say you don’t want her to get in lol.

edit: Now if she misses BOTH SAG and BAFTA, I will be worried then and only then. We’ve seen quite a few actresses miss SAG and still get into Oscars over the years

Actually Jessica is not a sure thing for either of those awards, GG can easily ignore her, right now the only nomination I’m expecting for her is CC, Globes will probably go with Kristen (frontrunner), Nicole (beloved veteran playing a beloved american tv icon), Colman (beloved Actress, 3-time GG winner, Netflix priority), Gaga (huge name, popular film, usually what the Globes go for) and lastly Hudson (Black Nominee, GG could feel presure to nominate a black nominee in evey category, Biopic about an american icon, GG nominated Erivo and gave a win to Andra Day for similar performances), Jessica can get in, they have nominated her before for films that were non factor, but she’s not a sure bet. And SAG could go for this exact 5, BAFTA will probably ignore her too. So yeah, Jessica is not, by any mean, a sure thing for anything.

Profile picture
    Vicki Leekx
    Topics:

Nah not at all. She has so far won the Erik Anderson award and nothing else. Obviously, being Diana Spencer is just not panning out the way you guys think it will.

There’s no need for you to be so sardonic all the time about Stewart…I mean she literally got the biggest raves of the year and has a huge narrative from a mostly panned career giving a great performance. It’s been over a decade since Twilight…can we move on and be happy for her growth which wasn’t granted from celebrity status but years of hard work in the industry? Literally nobody expected her to play Diana and pull it off which she did. It’s time to give her a break…

FYC:

Swinton, Weerasethakul Memoria, (Best Actress, Director)
    Efira, Rampling, Wilson Benedetta (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)
    Rapace Lamb (Best Actress)
    Stewart, Hawkins, Spall Spencer (Best Actress, Supporting Actress/Actor)

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 256 through 270 (of 512 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 35)’ is closed to new replies.