Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 488 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    Donda
    Topics:

Dench, Winslet and Streep were win-worthy performances. It’s seems like a very strong year for best actress (havent seen The Queen and Volver yet)

Funny because Penelope would place 2nd for me after Dench, she did great in Volver.

Profile picture
    Drusilla
    Topics:

Is the any new vehicle that powerful enough to bring Huppert into the contention soon?

Apparently she is being considered for the leading role in The Mother to be directed by Florian Zeller based on his play. She’s already played the part on stage in New York.

But I don’t think her upcoming projects (Joan, Les Promesses, Sidonie au Japon…) will bring her back to the Oscar conversation.

Profile picture
    Drusilla
    Topics:

Cate is indeed winning a third at some point, but I’m almost certain she’s not winning for Nightmare Alley. It doesn’t look like a winning role to me.

I haven’t heard any update on the Todd Field project since it was announced so who knows what’s happening with that.

Armageddon Time starts shooting this October but her part is said to be almost a cameo, still she might get traction for this a la Jane Fonda in Youth.

Profile picture
    Rich Thot
    Topics:

Funny because Penelope would place 2nd for me after Dench, she did great in Volver.

The more time has gone on, the more I wish Cruz would have won. I think she would have had a shot had she gotten better at non Spanish performances sooner and gotten better non Spanish roles sooner. But yes, it was a very strong category. A Winslet victory is the only option that would have been wince-worthy. I guess Streep kinda as well since there’s nothing leading about that role.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

These kind of comments when it comes to Gaga tends to always backfire with time, I mean it could be possible that Gaga is not gonna make it, but at least let’s wait for reviews for that, saying she’s out when in fact the trailer has been very well received by audience and press it’s not making sense for now.

Mmmm on the contrary. I think the kind of comment you’re responding is the backlash to Lady Gaga suddenly becoming a sure thing after a trailer that really isn’t very good. I know you like, I know you’re rooting for it so I’m not trying to be rude, I’m just trying to say that this is a sort of inevitable “wait a minute” reaction for people who simply did not think the trailer showed anywhere near as much promise as stans seem to think it does. I have Gaga in my predictions for now because I think pure star power can get her in, but therein we run into a problem: I think she’ll get in even if she’s not good. With Gaga especially, the acting itself isn’t the barometer. With everyone else, it 100% is.

But I’m growing more skeptical. This is not the emotional gut punch they (tried to) do with ASIB. She’s not performing musically (which is where she’s magnetic and incredible). So yeah I’m beginning to feel like…this won’t happpen when so many other performances we aren’t even talking about yet will be really emotional passion picks for Oscar voters. Besides, every great actor has been snubbed many times. I don’t think the Academy “owes” her a nomination, unless the movie is a huge Black Panther or Bohemian Rhapsody-like hit because it’s not Vice, it doesn’t at all look like “Oscar material” to me. What I see just isn’t…intelligent enough to be self-aware camp. I, Tonya is a black comedy—no way in hell this is. I feel like it could end up being a so-bad-it’s-good camp cult classic instead of an actual contender :/ sorry

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

As for the movie, as long as it’s gonna be an ‘I, Tonya’ or ‘Wolf of Wall Street’ kind of camp movie, it would be fine.

Yeah see both of your examples are 100% black comedies, viciously satirical movies. They’re not camp. They’re black comedies: Parasite, The Favourite, Promising Young Woman—same thing. Those the Academy has really warmed to, often because they’re trying to say something bigger. A successful camp film would be, maybe, American Hustle? Yeah that’s the biggest one I can think of. Most great campy films are like Showgirls or Rocky Horror. They become cult classics. And I have my doubts that HoG can somehow be both self-aware and intelligent and apparently a black comedy and a vicious satire AND campy AND an Oscar favorite. The tone of this film is just really really tricky to me.

Justice for Passing, Tessa Thompson & Ruth Negga.

The Power of the Dog / Jane Campion / Benedict Cumberbatch / Kristen Stewart / Kirsten Dunst / Troy Kotsur

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

At first I was disappointed that Cate wasn’t playing Lucille Ball, but the more I warmed up to the idea of Nicole playing her the project became even more interesting. Cate can do this kind of role in her sleep…..as Nicole has already stated…this is way out of her comfort zone. If she pulls this off….she is absolutely at the top of the pack for the win.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

The Lady Gaga haters and doubters are gonna be disappointed by January/February. The meltdowns are going to be so precious

Lady Gaga's BIGGEST FAN

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

Gaga’a case is a very curious one.. she is safe and at risk at the same time..

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

The Lady Gaga haters and doubters are gonna be disappointed by January/February. The meltdowns are going to be so precious

i am more excited for your temper tantrums and meltdowns tbh

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

Yeah I’m struggling to see how Lady Gaga gets in when her competition looks to be stronger than her this year. Blanchett, Stewart, Kidman, Colman, Hudson and even Comer all look stronger than her. Once awards season starts I have a feeling Gaga will go by the wayside.

Profile picture
    veronikavoss
    Topics:

I don’t doubt Gaga could be a contender if the film itself is, but considering the movie looks really quite bad I’m gonna wait for more confirmed reactions before buying it.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

I don’t think that any actress is a lock, including Lady Gaga. Ridley Scott is hit or miss as a filmmaker. That all being said you guys said all the same things about A Star is Born. Nearly the exact same things, so excuse me if I think that bias colors your predictions just as much as it colors Little Monsters predictions. Lady Gaga is the underdog on these boards because you guys are obsessed with English rose actresses from television series. Anyone not in the mold doesn’t get as much support.

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

I don’t think that any actress is a lock, including Lady Gaga. Ridley Scott is hit or miss as a filmmaker. That all being said you guys said all the same things about A Star is Born. Nearly the exact same things, so excuse me if I think that bias colors your predictions just as much as it colors Little Monsters predictions. Lady Gaga is the underdog on these boards because you guys are obsessed with English rose actresses from television series. Anyone not in the mold doesn’t get as much support.

Yes Ridley Scott is hit or miss and Gucci looks like a miss from the trailer we received. It’s nothing to do with Lady Gaga being a singer that gives me pause, it’s the fact that I’m not convinced at all by the trailer that she will deliver an oscar nomination worthy performance, especially in a strong field.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Yes Ridley Scott is hit or miss and Gucci looks like a miss from the trailer we received. It’s nothing to do with Lady Gaga being a singer that gives me pause, it’s the fact that I’m not convinced at all by the trailer that she will deliver an oscar nomination worthy performance, especially in a strong field.

Lady Gaga is not an underdog. A lot of people on GD have been bullish about her before House of Gucci even wrapped filming. And now many are convinced she’s going to win next year after the trailer was released. Her performance as Patrizia doesn’t seem worthy of awards.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.