Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 488 total)
Created
6 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Whirlwind
    Topics:

Macbeth and Ma Rainey? C’mon… August Wilson is the great contemporary playwright whose plays most (non-Black) people haven’t even heard of. Adapting him will have some kind of freshness to it on paper, how many of us have even heard of Jitney or Seven Guitars? (I feel like I got lucky because a theatre near where I lived for 7 years in Chicago did August Wilson plays only for a whole year—it was fantastic). Another example would be Tom Stoppard—plenty of people who love plays have seen Arcadia, one of the most acclaimed plays of all time by now, but most film-watchers don’t necessarily know about it Macbeth and Shakespeare are completely different. Even people who haven’t read the actual play have probably read the Cliffnotes version or caught a film/TV adaptation at least once.

Mah, I’m literally writing a thesis on theatre about abuse and am a dramaturg, don’t try to educate me on things I already know. Ma Rainey left a lot of people emotionally cold and I think Macbeth could do the same thing. Regardless of how well known Macbeth is and the generalities of its story, it’s still apparently a very avant-garde interpretation of a classic and the heightened language will still be a barrier for those who aren’t super versed in Shakespeare, people generally knowing about Macbeth won’t change that. I think it could be a case of something being technically well-done but will struggle to emotionally resonate for a fair amount of people.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Mah, I’m literally writing a thesis on theatre about abuse and am a dramaturg, don’t try to educate me on things I already know. Ma Rainey left a lot of people emotionally cold and I think Macbeth could do the same thing. Regardless of how well known Macbeth is and the generalities of its story, it’s still apparently a very avant-garde interpretation of a classic and the heightened language will still be a barrier for those who aren’t super versed in Shakespeare, people generally knowing about Macbeth won’t change that. I think it could be a case of something being technically well-done but will struggle to emotionally resonate for a fair amount of people.

Yeah, I’ve been saying the exact same thing about Tragedy of Macbeth—that it will struggle to resonate. Ma Rainey didn’t have to leave people emotionally cold—but this particular adaptation did. In better hands it could’ve fared much better. August Wilson adaptations & Shakespeare adaptations are just different beasts: I will almost always, on paper, assume the former are more likely to be successful for emotionally resonant films. I’m guessing you haven’t seen my posts on the BP thread (just between today and tomorrow, even) saying what you just said. The lost in translation part is where I’m arguing for the likelihood of adaptations on paper & you’re talking about how this particular adaptation of Ma Rainey panned out. That’s all. Literally no beef here 🙂

Good luck on your thesis! Academic historian with a theatre background here so I’m interested: what kind of abuse are you researching specifically? I’d love to know, do drop me a DM, it sounds fascinating.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I dont know if this matters or not but apparently Filmstagram arent fond of Lady Gaga’s italian accent

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I dont know if this matters or not but apparently Filmstagram arent fond of Lady Gaga’s italian accent

What’s Filmstagram? Haha I must not follow the right people.

On another note, the lead/supporting argument for Dunst is really raging on Twitter. Lots of people feeling pretty strongly that Campion wouldn’t not have a female co-lead, if one knows her films at all. And that Rose isn’t supporting in the book either. Both of which, obviously, I agree with, so I guess it comes down to what Netflix decides to do 🤷

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I agree, I hope that after Venice Kirsten’ll gain some extra support. I don’t know why but I kinda see her as the Vanessa Kirby of this year award season.

You mean Kristen [Stewart] right? I’m guessing you meant Kristen Stewart because Kirby was the sole nominee of her film.

FYC:

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m on Filmstagram and can confirm this

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

You mean Kristen [Stewart] right? I’m guessing you meant Kristen Stewart because Kirby was the sole nominee of her film.

Olivia Colman could also be the Kirby of this season.

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Who do I follow for this tea lol

FYC:

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

What’s filmstagram? An Instagram account dedicated to movies?

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

What’s Filmstagram? Haha I must not follow the right people 

Its basically FilmTwitter but on Instagram. Sort of accounts like cinemamagic, goosebumpscinema, thefilmagic, and thegoodfilms and its followers.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Crackleking
    Topics:

I’m interested to hear some arguments to why your frontrunners will win next year

Profile picture
    Farix
    Topics:

Frontrunners (still very early to tell):

1. Lady Gaga
    2. Olivia Colman
    3. Kristen Stewart
    4. Cate Blanchett
    5. Penelope Cruz

I can see Jennifer Hudson missing the top 5 given how early her movie comes out. This would be an amazing line-up tbh.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Hog trailer looked very weird to me but then I also thought Free Guy and suicide squad were gonna get a rotten score and both have been reviewed extremely well so I am hoping House of Gucci surprises us.

Profile picture
    Entela
    Topics:

Predicting Olivia Colman and Frances is kinda boring. I don’t care if they are good, we need new fresh names to make the race exciting. I predict at least 2 names no one has mentioned to come Vanessa Kirby style and make it in the final top 5.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 346 through 360 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.