Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 488 total)
Created
3 months ago
Last Reply
3 months ago
( +6 hidden )
replies
views
users
kaziz
George Ehret
boredandricho..
  • Profile picture
    Entela
    Topics:

Indiwire calls Respect a “Rote Biopic”. OUCH!

Looks like the movie is bad indeed!

Oh well, at least Jennifer is FABulous doing her karaoke version of Aretha.

Profile picture
    Milk Money
    Topics:

The movie is getting panned tho. 78 rotten with only 9 reviews, will be certified rotten. Still think Jhud is getting in but probably hanging at 4/5th position.

To be fair I don’t think anyone was predicting the film itself to be universally acclaimed. Let’s wait to see how Jennifer fares.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

Still can’t think of a frontrunner. KStew was praised but even the people who praised said that she is getting a nom, not frontrunner to win or anything. I remember for marriage story, buzz from early reviews was that Scarjo will win…which indeed turned into a nomination.
    I guess let us hope Gaga and Gucci are good.

Profile picture
    Donnna
    Topics:

To be fair I don’t think anyone was predicting the film itself to be universally acclaimed. Let’s wait to see how Jennifer fares.

Agreed but I thought it would be Malcom and Marie level panned. So far it is getting worse reviews.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

Lol not the Gaga stan coming for JHud 😳 feeling nervous? The film is getting mixed reviews, but Jennifer’s performance is getting almost universal acclaim, and many critics are calling it her career best. As people like to say on here, she’s coming!

Her ‘career best’ isn’t that high praise when she only has one other performance of real note (IMO). She will almost certainly be nominated (Bohemian Rhapsody has 49 MC and Malek won) but not sure she’ll have any passion for a win – I don’t think the Academy is desperate to give her a second.

Profile picture
    lanadelol
    Topics:

Indiwire calls Respect a “Rote Biopic”. OUCH!

Looks like the movie is bad indeed!

Oh well, at least Jennifer is FABulous doing her karaoke version of Aretha.

You’re obviously a hater lmao. Since you wanna quote, IndieWire editor-in-chief Anne Thompson is predicting that Jennifer is on her way to her second oscar nomination.

Profile picture
    Entela
    Topics:

You’re obviously a hater lmao. Since you wanna quote, IndieWire editor-in-chief Anne Thompson is predicting that Jennifer is on her way to her second oscar nomination.

I’m absolutely NOT a hater. LUV Jennifer, I think she is FABulous as a singer/actress. I just think she doesn’t bring anything new to this role. In fact in my opinion she was better at her Oscar winning role in 2005.

Also, you bringing up Anne Thompson “predictions” is not the flex you think it is. She predicted Carey Dulligan to win last year and we all saw how that went…

Profile picture
    lorelei lor
    Topics:

I think she’s getting that nomination but Anne Thompson also said Zendaya was winning for making Mac and Cheese to JD Washington in a Calvin Klein ad.

Profile picture
    sadins
    Topics:

I wouldn’t count Hudson out yet, but the movie being in low 60s already isn’t a good sign for sure and it needs at least box office success, thing I don’t see for this movie either, she’s fighting for fifth spot at this point.

Same thought here. Movie isn’t going to do much on box office for sure, with delta variant and this week has multiple movies coming (none of them has same audience for Respect), but still it is gonna struggle finding it footing.

To top it off, It is just August. I fail to see how MGM will keep Jennifer Hudson in conversation if the movie bombs and receives miss reception.

Profile picture
    fefface
    Topics:

To top it off, It is just August. I fell to see how MGM will keep Jennifer Hudson in conversation if the movie bombs and receives miss reception.

MGM also has Gaga coming in November.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

FYI. Anne Thompson is an Indiewire editor-at-large; Dana Harris-Bridson is Indiewire’s Editor in Chief.

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

I think she’s getting that nomination but Anne Thompson also said Zendaya was winning for making Mac and Cheese to JD Washington in a Calvin Klein ad.

LOL that’s virtue signaling rather than real rpediction but that’s totally in line with what Thompson is doing these days. She’s not the only influencer/pundit/whatever out there that bases her predictions on “look how inclusive I am” rather than on what’s realistic. It’s like when Erik Anderson had the Director line up of Lee, Coogler, Jenkins although it was way obivous only Lee was going to happen.

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson will probably be nominated for Respect. She herself is getting praise while her film is getting lukewarm reception. That was expected from the get-go. Will she win for this? I don’t think she will unless her competition is weak enough for her to win or if the film somehow Blind Sides or Bohemian Rhapsodys its way to a Best Picture nomination (both scenarios I doubt). I’m willing to bet good money Renee would’ve lost if she were going against Olivia Colman or Natalie Portman or Cate Blanchett, just to name some examples. I also don’t think Rami Malek would’ve won if BoRhap hadn’t been as successful as it was, both commercially and in the awards conversation. I’m probably seeing the film in the next few days so I’ll see if this changes, but the trailer looked to me like it was more of an imitation of Aretha Franklin than a transformation into her (although she does sound like her when she sings). It’s August and we still haven’t seen what Cate Blanchett, Frances McDormand, Kristen Stewart, Jodie Comer, Nicole Kidman, and Penelope Cruz will all bring to the table. Furthermore, there’s still a chance Dunst goes Lead, and that could be an issue cause she has potential to win in Lead even if she’s got it if she’s in Supporting. For now, I’m gonna keep Hudson in my #4 slot (on my non GD predictions bc I’m holding onto my odds for Reinsve)

FYC
    Best Picture: The Worst Person in the World
    Best Director: Jane Campion
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch
    Best Actress: Renate Reinsve
    Best Supporting Actor: Benedict Wong
    Best Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst
    Best Adapted Screenplay: The Power of the Dog
    Best Original Screenplay: The Worst Person in the World

Profile picture
    loudtoilet
    Topics:

Hudson is getting great personal reviews, ho-hum movie aside, and that type of role is in AMPAS wheelhouse (hello Malek, Zellwegger, Davis, Day just to mention the most recent). So I wouldn’t write her off even if heavy hitters were yet to show their stuff. Some of them may not have the role(s) that appeal to AMPAS and we know that critical accolades aren’t be all and end all (hello Lupita).

Profile picture
    MysticMagix
    Topics:

Has anyone seen halle berry in bruised? Like from TIFF?

A little bit of Magic never hurt anybody.

~ MYSTIC

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 488 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 4)’ is closed to new replies.