Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 5)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 5)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 496 total)
Created
1 year ago
Last Reply
1 year ago
( +10 hidden )
replies
views
users
George Ehret
kaziz
Diamond Tier
  • Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

Still beating the Chastain / McDormand drum. Y’all argue about the other three spots and conjuring any fantasy narrative you want for your faves.

I’ll wait for reactions to Tammy Faye, McDormand could miss if Macbeth is as weird as it apparently is

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Profile picture
    schmids
    Topics:

Respect‘s MC is still going down (still not a ton of reviews in but it’s not great so far). 58 now.

Hudson may still get nominated but I can’t see her having any passion for a win come voting time. Some reviews are singling her out but it’s not anything close to universal.

Profile picture
    boredandricho (they/them)
    Topics:

tbh i wouldn’t mind a second  win for jhud if the performance is good but if she just goes out and wins just because of coming back narrative it would be so disappointing .with that said I don’t think jhud is any better than andra day

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Yeah. Jennifer Hudson wouldn’t succeed because she’s black. Black women now need to be in the strongest of movies (BP contenders) for them to win. Billie Holiday couldn’t get it twice, Tina Turner failed too and Aretha Franklin will fail too. But Judy Garland and June Carter swept

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    DaKardii
    Topics:

WEEK OF 8/9 PREDICTIONS

1. Lady Gaga (House of Gucci)
    2. Jennifer Hudson (Respect)
    3. Frances McDormand (The Tragedy of Macbeth)
    4. Jessica Chastain (The Eyes of Tammy Faye)
    5. Kristen Stewart (Spencer)
    Profile picture
    M: The Original
    Topics:

I’ll wait for reactions to Tammy Faye, McDormand could miss if Macbeth is as weird as it apparently is

I’m more than confident Chastain has enough going for her to warrant the return nomination. McDormand just feels untouchable right now. I’d argue she has more sway than Streep.

Profile picture
    Diamond Tier
    Topics:

Hudson is the closest thing to a lock in any category let alone Best Actress. There have been countless biopics with lukewarm reviews that still managed to garner nominations for its lead stars. She’ll be fine.

Profile picture
    sadins
    Topics:

But this season is full of biopics , Stewart (Spencer), Chastian (Eyes of Tammy Faye) and Kidman (Being The Ricardos)

So like it or not, it does affect Jennifer chances a lot, and she is far from being lock for nomination.

Profile picture
    FEFFO
    Topics:

I’m starting to feel as though we’re underestimating Nicole Kidman… I’m strongly considering moving her to #1 but I wanna see a trailer first.

I think she will get a nod for sure, but won’t win.

Profile picture
    Butterfield 8
    Topics:

JHud’s nom seems like a lock to me unless Halle Barry kills it in Bruised and then I could see her being nominated over JHud. Or she could potentially take out one of the other contenders like Chastain or McDormond considering Bruised will also be her directorial debut. I think Nicole Kidman could also be creeping up and possibly into the field of competitors. As of now though I see the nominations being:

Gaga – HoG

Cruz – Parallel Mothers

Dunst – Power of the Dog (replace with Kidman?)

Stewart – Spencer

JHud – Respect

Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I’m gonna be honest, I think some people are overestimating Bruised. It’s not a particularly well reviewed movie and Halle didn’t get that much buzz after the premiere (unless I’m just not following the right people). It also seems a little too small for Oscars consideration. I would give Tessa Thompson a better shot of getting nominated tbh

FYC
    Everything Everywhere All at Once for everything, everywhere, all at once

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    roger88
    Topics:

Yes, I think Tessa Thompson may have better odds after all.

And I need to ask in a serious matter… Is this part of the Twilight Zone or are we in a sort of opposite day? Cause after reading more about the reviews of “Respect” and then declaring Jennifer Hudson as the closest thing of lock… Or maybe this is more as a hope-prediction.

She can be nominated, of course, but considering trades called her performance as “flat”, a “mere weak imitation” and others, that’s more as a 5th place contender. And she won’t have the BO push to overcome the critical derail of her film. Being filler for a Summer release so early on is never a good omen for Oscar chances.

Profile picture
    alittle03
    Topics:

I’m gonna be honest, I think some people are overestimating Bruised. It’s not a particularly well reviewed movie and Halle didn’t get that much buzz after the premiere (unless I’m just not following the right people). It also seems a little too small for Oscars consideration. I would give Tessa Thompson a better shot of getting nominated tbh

I absolutely agree. Everyone is always entitled to predict who they please, especially since it’s very early in the season and no one’s either locked or getting snubbed, but I personally don’t see the confidence in Berry or Bruised, especially for the reasons you stated.

I agree with your point about Thompson, as well, as it pertains to Netflix’s Best Actress priorities.

• FYC: Everything Everywhere All at Once in any and every single category, especially Best Picture, Michelle Yeoh in Actress, Stephanie Hsu in Supporting Actress, The Daniels in Director/Screenplay, Paul Rogers in Editing, and Son Lux in Score.

Profile picture
    crabbie
    Topics:

My only concern with Tessa Thompson is that she’s been unable to sustain a large concentration of buzz after Sundance compared to actors in Mass who have been in the conversation for quite some time. I’m aware they aren’t competing for an actress slot but my point is not many people have been passionate about Tessa’s performance and the buzz has been shifted primarily towards Ruth Negga.

And about Halle Berry, her film and performance buzz underwhelming at last year’s TIFF may be detrimental to her odds.

It is possible there is no WOC in actress this year similar to the year of 2018 while there was 2 MOC in Best Actor (Kaluuya and Washington in 2018 to Smith and Washington in 2022). It’s foolish to dismiss Hudson’s chances right now but I do understand the reluctance of predicting her and the uncertainty in her nomination.

Michelle (Yeoh, Williams) Oscar campaign manager.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 496 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 5)’ is closed to new replies.