Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 59)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 59)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 617 total)
Created
1 week ago
Last Reply
1 week ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Anthagiox
Cinema2050
Babylonian
  • Profile picture
    Marcus.H
    Topics:

Last year even though film Twitter and most of you here rallied behind Carey Mulligan, the obviously stronger and best female performance ultimately won the Oscars despite the winner’s 2-Oscars history. Mulligan got none of GG, SAG, BATFAs, and Oscars. This proves AMPAS voters will vote for what they think is the best instead of being driven by the online hype or any manipulative narrative. Same thing happened in 2018 when Colman, Close, and Gaga were competing.

So I’m curious about the rankings of these top 5 performances this year from someone who can talk objectively and has seen all of them.

Coen-Lynch-Fellini

Profile picture
    xandyeugh
    Topics:

How is HOG a british film again?

Profile picture
    Giordano Bruno
    Topics:

Ridley scott is british

Profile picture
    Anthagiox
    Topics:

Gaga used to carry around a small little teacup during the beginning of her career. Brits love tea.

“Evaporate, and leave us cinephiles alone.” 😭

Profile picture
    UnionCityMood
    Topics:

We need to stop this pop star status nonsense, it always took 5 pages to argue lol it’s not good for this discussion. Just as someone said “Ampas won’t reward someone who’s a popstar with so many benefits”, I guarantee you another person will then say “she’s only getting all the recognition because she’s a popstar”. This will go on forever and maybe we should move on and focus on the performance itself.

Quite a few users already mentioned MOST popstars failed in Hollywood. Madonna is arguably the biggest pop star in human history and she loves doing movies. But just look at how she became the queen of Razzie. Beyonce and Taylor Swift are ambitious, they got some very good opportunities but failed to convert them into success. Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez all rose to fame by acting but then they all chose to focus on music career instead. I think it’s say to declare that Hollywood is hostile to pop stars, especially female pop stars. The discrimination is abhorrent.

Profile picture
    xandyeugh
    Topics:

Ridley scott is british

Oh. I didn’t know this is how it works. I first thought because it was set in Italy but then it’s “british” not “European” best film. Hahaha. I didn’t like HOG and was a bit lukewarm on Gaga in it but I have a string feeling she’s winning BAFTA. Reminds me so much of JLaw winning over anyone for her work in American Hustle.

Profile picture
    annveal
    Topics:

We can expect the BAFTA noms to influence the Oscar noms correct? Since there’s a 5 day gap

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Interesting enough Nicole, Gaga and Olivia haven’t miss any big nominations. Sadly Kristen did so this will probably factor in her winning or missing  nominated at the Oscars.

BEST ACTRESS

1. Nicole Kidman – Being the Ricardos(Amazon Studios) – GG, CCA, SAG, BAFTA longlist
    2. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter (Netflix) – GG, CCA, SAG, BAFTA longlist
    3. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci (MGM/UAR) – GG, CCA, SAG, BAFTA longlist
    4. Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Searchlight Pictures) – GG, CCA, BAFTA longlist
    5. Kristen Stewart – Spencer (NEON) – GG, CCA, BAFTA longlist

But no part of the nomination reveal was more shocking than when they got to Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role in a Motion Picture. As with most nomination announcements, they go in alphabetical order and if you have your predictions/contenders list in front of you (or, like me, in your head) then you know when a snub has happened even before it does. So was the case here. First was Jessica Chastain, expected. Then Olivia Colman, expected. Then Lady Gaga, expected but as a stage name they should have gone with the ‘L’ and not the ‘G’ and that set me into a mini-spiral as it meant (in my alphabetical world) that Nicole Kidman had been snubbed. But, we were only at three names. Then came Jennifer Hudson for “R-E-S-P-E-C-T,” as Dawson announced and it was like wait, what? Once Hudson was announced, in those split seconds, the realization came that with only one name left it was either Nicole Kidman or Kristen Stewart, one of them was out. Kidman’s name was announced and Stewart’s frontrunner status went from the top to the bottom as fast as you could catch your breath and here’s why: in 27 years of the Screen Actors Guild, no lead actress has ever won the Oscar without being SAG-nominated first. (Statistically, Kate Winslet, who was submitted at SAG and won in supporting for The Reader, still counts.) While we have an example in supporting actress with Regina King three years ago (SAG and BAFTA snubbed, still won the Oscar) there is no precedent for lead, and for a performance and film that has divided audiences – and clearly voters too – it’s all but over for Stewart as a potential winner and even a nomination now hangs in the balance and Spencer‘s poor showing with the BAFTA longlists only emphasizes that.

My fave Erik take on Kristen.

Profile picture
    coopC
    Topics:

Yeah, I don’t think Gucci is a good movie, and I’m actually surprised that I myself was listing factors that worked for it, so weird. But in my book, it’s chance of getting into BP is definitely higher than many of you supposed which is alright because critics’  opinions have been brainwashing us for nearly three months.

Profile picture
    a spoonful of sugar
    Topics:

Interesting enough Nicole, Gaga and Olivia haven’t miss any big nominations. Sadly Kristen did so this will probably factor in her winning or missing nominated at the Oscars.

BEST ACTRESS

1. Nicole Kidman – Being the Ricardos(Amazon Studios) – GG, CCA, SAG, BAFTA longlist
    2. Olivia Colman – The Lost Daughter (Netflix) – GG, CCA, SAG, BAFTA longlist
    3. Lady Gaga – House of Gucci (MGM/UAR) – GG, CCA, SAG, BAFTA longlist
    4. Jessica Chastain – The Eyes of Tammy Faye (Searchlight Pictures) – GG, CCA, BAFTA longlist
    5. Kristen Stewart – Spencer (NEON) – GG, CCA, BAFTA longlist

Pretty sure Chastain made SAG as well, right?

Profile picture
    Giordano Bruno
    Topics:

We need to stop this pop star status nonsense, it always took 5 pages to argue lol it’s not good for this discussion. Just as someone said “Ampas won’t reward someone who’s a popstar with so many benefits”, I guarantee you another person will then say “she’s only getting all the recognition because she’s a popstar”. This will go on forever and maybe we should move on and focus on the performance itself. Quite a few users already mentioned MOST popstars failed in Hollywood. Madonna is arguably the biggest pop star in human history and she loves doing movies. But just look at how she became the queen of Razzie. Beyonce and Taylor Swift are ambitious, they got some very good opportunities but failed to convert them into success. Miley Cyrus, Ariana Grande, Selena Gomez all rose to fame by acting but then they all chose to focus on music career instead. I think it’s say to declare that Hollywood is hostile to pop stars, especially female pop stars. The discrimination is abhorrent.

Agree with everything I would just change with Selena cause sometimes it looks like she is treated better and prefers the acting World instead of music. She is even nominated this year in some awards including SAG

Profile picture
    AwardsBait3818
    Topics:

I think Colman is going to be a surprise omission. She could obviously make it in but I think that one of the consensus four of Chastain/Colman/Kidman/Gaga will miss, and with how divisive The Lost Daughter seems to be I think she could get pushed out. I think Stewart is in fourth, but I can’t decide between Alana Haim and Rachel Zegler for the final spot. Haim got the Critics Choice nom over Zegler, but Zegler won the Globe over Haim. There generally seems to be more hype around Haim’s performance, but West Side Story as a whole seems buzzier than Licorice Pizza. I have a feeling I’m going to be going back and forth between them until we get nominations.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

Pretty sure Chastain made SAG as well, right?

lol that’s Erik lol

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

Kristen Stewart over Olivia Colman? At this point of the race?

Profile picture
    coopC
    Topics:

Jennifer Hudson has a chance, though not very likely, but still, I would put her at 7th.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 376 through 390 (of 617 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 59)’ is closed to new replies.