Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 571 total)
Created
5 months ago
Last Reply
5 months ago
( +1 hidden )
replies
views
users
Diamond Tier
kaziz
George Ehret
  • Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

What is this silliness about Lucille Ball being too “American”? C’mon folx, don’t be naive.

I’m South Asian—and while the US and UK have their cultural spheres and may be oblivious to each other, there’s also this thing called imperialism that made much of the world, like the Indian subcontinent, English-speaking—and made knowing and being well-versed in the cultural products of the “West” a badge of being “cultured”. I Love Lucy played freaking everywhere, was dubbed into every possible language just like Bewitched. Shows like Happy Days and Golden Girls were unknown to me, but I’d wager Lucille Ball and Elizabeth Montgomery are probably two of the most recognizable faces in the Commonwealth, along with the biggies of British comedies, like Hugh Laurie, Rowan Atkinson, Stephen Fry.

Also—these classic shows aren’t the sorts to be “banned” because by the 90s they weren’t considered racy (of course, somehow racy=sex scenes/kissing, not the very naughty wordplay of British comedies lol). I grew up on I Love Lucy! I know all of Lucille Ball’s tics and pratfalls to a tee.

FYC:
    Picture: Passing, The Power of the Dog, The Lost Daughter, Drive My Car
    Director: Jane Campion, Rebecca Hall
    Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Hidetoshi Nishijima
    Actress: Tessa Thompson, Olivia Colman, Kristen Stewart
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton
    Supporting Actor: Troy Kotsur, Kodi Smit-McPhee, Jesse Plemons

Profile picture
    Bret
    Topics:

Rumours are that Ellen Kuras’biopic Lee Miller titled Lee has Brad Pitt in negotiations to star as photographer Man Ray and Meryl Streep as Lee Miller’s mother.

Kate Winslet has already been attached to play Lee Miller who was an American photographer and photojournalist. She was a fashion model in New York City in the 1920s before going to Paris, where she became a fashion and fine art photographer. During the Second World War, she was a war correspondent for Vogue, covering events such as the London Blitz, the liberation of Paris, and the concentration camps at Buchenwald and Dachau.

It is set to have a limited release in December 2021 followed by a wide release in January 2022.

Profile picture
    Tick Tock
    Topics:

Rumours are that Ellen Kuras’biopic Lee Miller titled Lee has Brad Pitt in negotiations to star as photographer Man Ray and Meryl Streep as Lee Miller’s mother.

Kate Winslet has already been attached to play Lee Miller who was an American photographer and photojournalist. She was a fashion model in New York City in the 1920s before going to Paris, where she became a fashion and fine art photographer. During the Second World War, she was a war correspondent for Vogue, covering events such as the London Blitz, the liberation of Paris, and the concentration camps at Buchenwald and Dachau.

It is set to have a limited release in December 2021 followed by a wide release in January 2022.

December 2021? Do you mean December 2022? Because I don’t think it has started production yet right?

Profile picture
    skyes
    Topics:

Here for Olivia pulling a Glenda Jackson. If TLD gets a BP nom she’s a serious threat imo.

Wait, just realised that we have two films this season with the abbreviation TLD. I thought of The Last Duel at first, and got confused.

FYC, in all eligible categories:
    The Lost Daughter
    Passing
    The Power of the Dog

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

I put very little stock into test reactions for an actor like Nicole Kidman. She is a “goddess” to so many viewers, like Cate Blanchett or Charlize Theron. People always say that about actors of their caliber. I’ve been in far too many screenings with Oscar-winning stars in them where everybody comes out singing their praises and it doesn’t subsequently happen. I was one of the very few people who really didn’t like Destroyer for instance, I thought it was very shlocky. Everybody else was like “SHE’S GOING TO WIN!” To so many people, she genuinely can do no wrong. And yes—she’s reliably good, I mostly love her—but when the worse-case scenario is the ol’ “she does what she can”, you probably need to wait for embargoes to be lifted or see for yourself.

I’m very surprised to hear Bardem get more praise though. That says a lot, he’s not as virtuosic in many people’s eyes, nor as much of a household name as Kidman. It’s uncommon for Kidman’s male co-stars to usually get more praise than her, unless she has a much smaller role or something.

FYC:
    Supporting Actress: Kirsten Dunst, Ruth Negga, Dakota Johnson, Jessie Buckley, Martha Plimpton

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

this is going to between the girls of Mass, the girls of Lost Daughter, the Girl of The Power Of The Dog, and the girls of Nightmare Alley. Jlaw fans- don’t come for me ughhhh I folded and read the script. Im weak! She’s not happening.

+The Girls of of Last Night in Soho

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    George Ehret
    Topics:

I put very little stock into test reactions for an actor like Nicole Kidman. She is a “goddess” to so many viewers, like Cate Blanchett or Charlize Theron. People always say that about actors of their caliber. I’ve been in far too many screenings with Oscar-winning stars in them where everybody comes out singing their praises and it doesn’t subsequently happen. I was one of the very few people who really didn’t like Destroyer for instance, I thought it was very shlocky. Everybody else was like “SHE’S GOING TO WIN!” To so many people, she genuinely can do no wrong. And yes—she’s reliably good, I mostly love her—but when the worse-case scenario is the ol’ “she does what she can”, you probably need to wait for embargoes to be lifted or see for yourself.

Yeah, I wasn’t necessarily looking for confirmation that she’s good, I was just looking for confirmation that the film is good. It seems like it’s not terrible at least, but some of the reactions weren’t quite as expected

FYC
    Dune in All Categories (esp. Director, Score, Sound, and Visual Effects)
    Spencer in All Categories (esp. Actress, Cinematography, and Costume Design)
    The Worst Person in the World in All Categories (esp. Original Screenplay and International Feature)
    Flee in All Categories (esp. Animated Feature, Documentary Feature, and International Feature)
    The Power of the Dog in All Categories (esp. Actor and Adapted Screenplay)

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

at this point put them in too, although aren’t they both going for supporting?

My take is whoever stands out the most will go Supporting, although if McKenzie goes supporting it will be one of the biggest category fraud since Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander (I don’t want to put them in Stanfield-Kaluuya situation anymore since everyone goes nuts when I predicted them go that way)

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

My take is whoever stands out the most will go Supporting, although if McKenzie goes supporting it will be one of the biggest category fraud since Rooney Mara and Alicia Vikander (I don’t want to put them in Stanfield-Kaluuya situation anymore since everyone goes nuts when I predicted them go that way)

McKenzie going supporting is a silly move lol because A, it might screw over Anya’s chances, but also B, if Dunst goes Lead she technically already has TPOTD that maaaaaaaaaaybe can be a catch-all to land the goodwill from both films.

It can happen for buzzy actresses, most recently for Robbie in Bombshell, which honestly isn’t much more of a performance than Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, arguably Florence Pugh (just a great year for her and she was the best thing about both Little Women & Midsommar so maybe she’d have gotten one just with the former), and I definitely think Ex Machina gave Alicia Vikander the boost to get nominated (and WIN) for The Danish Girl. Hell, she got nominated for both at multiple ceremonies. A good year in multiple films can sometimes be good enough. Not predicting it tho.

Also…Supporting is really competitive! Even if Dunst goes lead, she’s competing with both Anya and Conroy, at best.

FYC:

Profile picture
    Topics:
    Profile picture
    kaziz
    Topics:

Listen Jennifer collected the bag and rightfully so. This might be the last time we see her in a big budget film for a minute. Literally anyone could have played her role.
    As a fan when I tell you her role is nothing special… I promise it is nothing special unless McKay did an entire rewrite of all of her lines. Woof I am dumbfounded on how bad it is.

I am pretty sure that is why so many of us have been very skeptical of JLaw. She is the one aspect of the film that seems to not have changed…much since the script. Test audiences + the little teaser we saw = evidence points to the same thing we read.

FYC:

Profile picture
    BigJay2012
    Topics:

I’m very surprised to hear Bardem get more praise though. That says a lot, he’s not as virtuosic in many people’s eyes, nor as much of a household name as Kidman. It’s uncommon for Kidman’s male co-stars to usually get more praise than her, unless she has a much smaller role or something.

So basically wait until the movie comes out to judge it for ourselves.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 556 through 570 (of 571 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 6)’ is closed to new replies.