Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 60)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 60)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 629 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
Marcus Snowde..
The Northman
TomJerry
  • Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I mean absolutely no disrespect to Olivia but it feels pretty transparent that critics don’t want Gaga/Nicole to win and are thus rallying behind the only alternative winner.

I think many critics are genuinely impressed by Colman’s performance. What do you mean by her being “the only alternative winner?” If you are referring to former Oscar winners, critics could have “rallied” behind McDormand or Cruz.  If you are referring to other actresses who have won awards this season, critics could have “rallied” around Zegler or Haim or Chastain or a number of others. Why is it “transparent” that critics don’t legitimately believe that Colman gave the performance that merits this year’s BA award?

Profile picture
    annveal
    Topics:

Actually, a second lead Oscar is a very big deal, don’t look how Frances managed to get second and third so close, Anthony Hopkins and Meryl Streep waited decades. They don’t give it out easily.

She managed by being the central figure in an Oscar sweeping BP winner, and imho it was also an award for getting a very timely and important movie made (she optioned the book and hired Chloe, not the other way around).

Kidman transformed herself to be sure and did amazing, but given that BTR is such a cut and paste biopic film and there’s probably going to be at least 5 more Nicole Kidman oscar-worthy performances in the future, I don’t think it’s happening

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with being a stripper and I don’t like your implication that there is.

???

What the h*ll. That’s still Princess Diana. One of the most famous women of all time really. They didn’t even contradict what you said

Profile picture
    almanzarlamarcarlile
    Topics:

I think many critics are genuinely impressed by Colman’s performance. What do you mean by her being “the only alternative winner?” If you are referring to former Oscar winners, critics could have “rallied” behind McDormand or Cruz. If you are referring to other actresses who have won awards this season, critics could have “rallied” around Zegler or Haim or Chastain or a number of others. Why is it “transparent” that critics don’t legitimately believe that Colman gave the performance that merits this year’s BA award?

Before today, Olivia only had 1 other critic win. While it’s possible that they miraculously discovered their love for this performance only after Kristen missed SAG, I have some doubts about that.

When I say she’s the only alternative winner, I mean that Olivia, Nicole and Gaga are the only one’s who can win this oscar. Haim, Zegler, McDormand and Cruz were never coming near a win and Chastain has been done since her globe loss.

Johnny Depp is a wifebeater.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

This is superficial, but she looks stunning here. Wow.

I agree! I’m aware most people will find this film hard to watch, it’s very Pablo Larraín-esque but I think there is a lot to appreciate, the costume design and the cinematography are both very beautiful and deserved some love too!

I’m curious to ask you this cause I think you are one the most neutral Gaga fans, do you think the award is between Gaga and Kidman?

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

And yes, I know it sounds ridiculous for 2022 standards but can the lead actor and actress category have such presentation ? People need more than basic hosts, bring the stars and the legends on stage.

Profile picture
    GWalters
    Topics:

Actually, a second lead Oscar is a very big deal, don’t look how Frances managed to get second and third so close, Anthony Hopkins and Meryl Streep waited decades. They don’t give it out easily. Most Best Actress Oscars Katharine Hepburn: 4 Frances McDormand: 3 Meryl Streep:2 Bette Davis:2 Ingrid Bergman:2 Jane Fonda: 2 Elizabeth Taylor:2 Olivia de Havilland:2 Glenda Jackson:2 Jodie Foster:2 Sally Field:2 Vivien Leigh:2 Luise Rainer:2 Hilary Swank:2

It’s always weird seeing Hilary Swank on this list. While her 2 oscar winning performance were definitely worthy, I feel like her overall career or stature within the industry doesn’t compare or equate with the others on the list. 🤔

Profile picture
    Anthagiox
    Topics:

I agree! I’m aware most people will find this film hard to watch, it’s very Pablo Larraín-esque but I think there is a lot to appreciate, the costume design and the cinematography are both very beautiful and deserved some love too! I’m curious to ask you this cause I think you are one the most neutral Gaga fans, do you think the award is between Gaga and Kidman?

I truly have no idea what to think. As happy as I am that Gaga is being considered a frontrunner and she’s doing really well, I’m still not counting Kristen out and I still think Kidman and Colman are right up there at the top. I’ve always said that I’d be happy with her just being nominated and I’m sticking with that. I think once the BAFTA nominations drop, my tune might change… but until then I’m remaining cautiously optimistic.

Profile picture
    laslo
    Topics:

I truly have no idea what to think. As happy as I am that Gaga is being considered a frontrunner and she’s doing really well, I’m still not counting Kristen out and I still think Kidman and Colman are right up there at the top. I’ve always said that I’d be happy with her just being nominated and I’m sticking with that. I think once the BAFTA nominations drop, my tune might change… but until then I’m remaining cautiously optimistic.

Yeah, I don’t know what to think either. I’m counting Kristen out of the winning conversation because the SAG snub seems too much to overcome, I would be happy with a nomination tho. I really like Colman’s performance but the movie wasn’t received well by audiences at all, so I’m a bit skeptical about her chances also.

In my mind Kidman, Gaga and Chastain all look stronger for the win and I think one of them will win SAG and will go on to win the Oscar. I’ve said many times how much I dislike Chastain as Tammy Faye so I’ll just say that I hope it’s between Kidman and Gaga, because at least one of them winning would be a moment.

Profile picture
    kallewickans
    Topics:

And yes, I know it sounds ridiculous for 2022 standards but can the lead actor and actress category have such presentation ? People need more than basic hosts, bring the stars and the legends on stage.

This will always be my favourite Oscar moment ever. My Queens Nicole and Halle on stage together.  Academy pls do this thing again. Thanks so much for this Ben Affleck Fan.

Profile picture
    Delicious Demon
    Topics:

Monsters are trying to delete Kristen from the Oscars nominations lol

Some Gaga stans have serious issues with Kristen and have diminished her critics circle awards since the start (“Twitter awards”). There are constant sneers and ridiculing of Kristen in here. On the other hand, if someone even breathes that they weren’t appreciative of Gaga’s performance, they are haters who dedicate all their time to hating Gaga and wanting to see her fail.

When homophobia was brought up, a journalist had spoken to SAG voters and one of them gave the response “she doesn’t like men”. Even just that one instance is homophobia right there, but let’s just overlook it and ridicule it, because it’s Kristen. Even if  LGBT people have been nominated, that doesn’t magically make homophobia disappear among voters. And in this instance, of course Gaga stans made a homophobic remark from a SAG voter directed at Kristen into Gaga being attacked for not deserving an award.

Regardless, this was a very nice little surprise today:

Profile picture
    Anthagiox
    Topics:

And in this instance, of course Gaga stans made a homophobic remark from a SAG voter directed at Kristen into Gaga being attacked for not deserving an award. Regardless, this was a very nice little surprise today

What are you talking about? Gaga stans did not do this. Stop saying “stans” when you’re referring to one person; call that person out for saying something stupid.

Profile picture
    Delicious Demon
    Topics:

What are you talking about? Gaga stans did not do this. Stop saying “stans” when you’re referring to one person; call that person out for saying something stupid.

Not one stan. It’s plural. You have completely missed the discussions?

Profile picture
    Chocoesq
    Topics:

The narrative switch from undeniable frontrunner to scrappy underdog is bizarre.

Profile picture
    Delicious Demon
    Topics:

The narrative switch from undeniable frontrunner to scrappy underdog is bizarre.

Kristen has been an underdog for her whole career and the narrative was that it might finally be her time. She won most of the Trifecta in 2015 as well as a César and a bunch of critics circle awards, and wasn’t even nominated for a CC (much less any of the other awards).

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 601 through 615 (of 629 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 60)’ is closed to new replies.