Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 64)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 64)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
replies
views
users
M
Axel
Aaron Kalloo
  • Profile picture
    Aaron Kalloo
    Topics:

Something persons have to keep in mind because I’ve seen it in the comments…..

Stewart wasn’t shut out by 160,000 SAG-AFTRA members. A random selection of 2,500 were chosen out from that 160,000.
    And ALSO, the overlap is probably small. From that 2,500 randomly selected voting comittee would have been actual Academy actors who belong to the acting branch.

It was said that there are 1,250 actors in the actors branch of the Academy and all are SAG members. So only a few would have voted for the SAG nominees since a random selection of 2,500 out of the 160,000 SAG-AFTRA is chosen to vote for the SAG nominees.

If you want a clear picture…..0.78% of SAG-AFTRA members are actors who also belong to the Academy’s acting branch. If we were to apply that 0.78% to the 2,500 random selection of 160,000 SAG-AFTRA members, you would get an overlap of approximately 20 members. The number can be higher or lower but not significantly.

So Stewart missing is not entirely indicative of what the acting branch of the Academy thinks of her performance in Spencer.

Profile picture
    KAZ-2.5
    Topics:

Gaga haters are deranged. “Lady Gaga fans cause all the trouble and also Lady Gaga isn’t bisexual because I’ve never seen her go down on a woman before.” The biphobia on this forum is horrendous and I will ignore anyone engaging in it. A woman could never date another woman and still be bisexual just like a woman could only date women and still be bisexual. Bisexual and Lesbian aren’t the same sexualities. Now stop being creeps and interrogating these women’s personal lives and get back to talking about the performances.

Profile picture
    musterd
    Topics:

I adore Olivia Colman, and I do think she was amazing in The Lost Daughter. BUT I would personally prefer her not to win because, this may be an unpopular opinion, a lot of her acting in it just felt like scenes being copied and pasted from Ths Favourite and The Father. Again, I want to say she’s a great actress, and a nomination for The Lost Daughter, I’d more than support. But she pretty much just does the same stuff she usually does for the first 2/3 of the movie. Here entire Movie Theatre scene pretty much felt like her Dramatic Ballroom Scene from The Favourite without all the costumes. She definitely can win, I don’t think she will because she missed AACTA however, but I do prefer she wins her 2nd Oscar for a genuinely different performance in her career.

Queen Anne is very far away Leda. Both are rich, nuanced performances where the character’s pain comes from very different places. One yells out of entitlement and gets what she wants and the other yells provoked and in vain. Olivia conveys vastly different character motivations in both. Not every role has to be taking on a different accent or voice to convey range, but that’s just my view.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Lady Gaga: Queen of movies, pop, bisexuality, and most importantly GOLDDERBY.

She’s my Queen and I’m worshipping her this Sunday morning.

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

Gaga haters are deranged. “Lady Gaga fans cause all the trouble and also Lady Gaga isn’t bisexual because I’ve never seen her go down on a woman before.” The biphobia on this forum is horrendous and I will ignore anyone engaging in it. A woman could never date another woman and still be bisexual just like a woman could only date women and still be bisexual. Bisexual and Lesbian aren’t the same sexualities. Now stop being creeps and interrogating these women’s personal lives and get back to talking about the performances.

It comes from both sides. I obviously couldn’t care less.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

This is random but I’ve missed seeing Saoirse. She’s in Australia, and is getting ready to shoot an Amazon film with Paul Mescal called Foe: https://mobile.twitter.com/frazbelina/status/1484085850006769664

I wonder whether she become really picky that compared to her contemporaries from the same age group she only has two upcoming projects and there are no news whether she has been cast in any new projects. For example, Anya has at least five upcoming projects. Same with Pugh.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    James Gibson
    Topics:

I would love to see Saoirse doing more stuff but it’s also interesting how selective she is of her projects. Certainly exciting when her name is in conversation.

Profile picture
    Rachel615
    Topics:

I wonder whether she become really picky that compared to her contemporaries from the same age group she only has two upcoming projects and there are no news whether she has been cast in any new projects. For example, Anya has at least five upcoming projects. Same with Pugh.

Maybe, but she also very recently played Lady MacBeth on stage in London. I’m looking forward to seeing the murder mystery she recently filmed with Sam Rockwell and Ruth Wilson.

Profile picture
    xandyeugh
    Topics:

Anya and Florence are certainly NOT her contemporaries.

Profile picture
    TomJerry
    Topics:

Anya and Florence are certainly NOT her contemporaries.

Yeah. Maybe Zendaya or Timothee but I definitely got what the user meant. Age wise they definitely/certainly are a bit closer.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

This is for the former thread.

I can’t seem to understand how someone would read my posts and think I’m the worst on this forum. It is not my fault that I don’t do bandwagon (liking a movie/performance just because others do). I disagree with folks here respectfully. Controversia: yes, but it’s a good thing that I make my own choices. I didn’t like The Lost Doll, but I made it clear that Jessie Buckley was superb in it.

You don’t see me use unprintable names for fellow users here and even hardworking actresses like some people here do. The worst word I’ve ever used here is “DELUSIONAL”. Being rude to people is not my thing.

The Lady Gaga haters are even much worse than her fans if you can be honest.

Use the ignore button on me if you can’t stand me or just read my posts and pass.

Thanks to Lady Gaga for blessing this season with such a groundbreaking performance. I was highly impressed, I still am and I will always be.

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    gorman
    Topics:

Probably being skewed by my own preferences here (although that’s worked the last two years) but I do think a Colman spoiler will happen again here. I get that BTR is popular in the industry but it still feels like something that’s going to underperform to me. Not sure I see Kidman making it in at BAFTA either, don’t know where SAG will go but I don’t fancy her winning CC unless they’re really gonna lean into the Oscar predictor thing. Gaga seems to be surging but I wanna see her win something beyond NYFCC before I call her a potential winner here. It’s a weird category. I’m not totally discounting Stewart yet on that basis but it does feel like the nom will be the reward if it happens, someone like Hudson might steal that though. Even though it’s a relatively interesting race it’s one I find hard to get invested in; a Kidman-Gaga race that most seem to be predicting is a poor capper (in my opinion) to a year where Colman, Stewart, Thompson, Haim, Reinsve, Cruz, Rouselle and others have given such fantastic performances.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Jessica’s W magazine interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhvqPCVLt4M (this was clearly edited, specifically the part when she talks about her mother’s complicated relationship with religion while growing up)

Kristen’s W magazine interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DogRLKDczxU

Alana’s appearance on Kelly Clarkson’s show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIybMH0fBaQ

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Probably being skewed by my own preferences here (although that’s worked the last two years) but I do think a Colman spoiler will happen again here. I get that BTR is popular in the industry but it still feels like something that’s going to underperform to me. Not sure I see Kidman making it in at BAFTA either, don’t know where SAG will go but I don’t fancy her winning CC unless they’re really gonna lean into the Oscar predictor thing.

Some people think Olivia might be a spoiler but I don’t want to get my hopes up. I love Nicole, but I’m not invested in her performance. It was so underwhelming. I blame Sorkin. BTR was very mediocre. IMO the SAG is between her and Gaga. I agree with you about the last part. Other actresses gave great performances last year and aren’t getting recognized (Penelope, Jodie, Tessa). With the exception of Olivia, I’m underwhelmed by the performances of the other frontrunners.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 500 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 64)’ is closed to new replies.