Home Forums Movies Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 65)

Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 65)

CREATE A NEW TOPIC
CREATE A NEW POLL
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 587 total)
Created
4 months ago
Last Reply
4 months ago
( +3 hidden )
replies
views
users
The Northman
M
Marcus Snowde..
  • Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

If Film Twitter wants to talk about how these awards are ignoring better performances, then why aren’t they talking about other actresses besides the ones that pundits and critics fed to them?

Or maybe Academy members should just stop recognizing mediocre biopics and watch other films? Look at the SAG lineup. Olivia is the only nominee not in a biopic.

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

This. At least come up with something new, something that actually receive no exposure and no promo at all. Great performance is a subjective matter but film twitter just can’t get over it. Plus every year there will be great performances not getting nominated. It’s not a specific case for this year’s race.

This is my problem and it’s so kinda ironic.

“Here are 5 actresses that should be nominated instead of more popular movie stars”, and the options are Kristen Stewart and Jodie Comer. Like, girl… Look at what you’re saying, lol.

Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

I’ve seen most of them and they’re a lot better than the performances of the current front runners (Olivia is the exception). Academy members don’t have good taste all the time and they’ve displayed it in recent years with Bohemian Rhapsody, Hillbilly Elegy and Green Book.

Hillbilly Elegy only get Close in for ATL and she’s kinda deserved it. Agree with the rest though.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    jamon__serrano
    Topics:

Or maybe Academy members should just stop recognizing mediocre biopics and watch other films? Look at the SAG lineup. Olivia is the only nominee not in a biopic.

I agree, but that types of discourses (like the one from the tweet) are contradictory and modeled by pundits. They wanna act like they’re above the Academy but the only foreign performances there are the same ones that everyone have been mentioning for the past 3 months. That tells me that you’re watching the same 5 movies as everyone else. Just like the Academy does. It’s stupid.

“But they will probably choose to ignore them in favor of bigger or more popular names.” And then you see Kristen Stewart there, a massive movie star, lol.

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    Elsa Korr
    Topics:

The Green Book snobbery always make me cackle. I didn’t like the movie at all but the movie was such a huge hit with audiences (ironically, particularly with the growing international membership even compared to an “international” film like Roma) yet film twitter acts like it’s even worse than Gigli or Freddy Got Fingered and that no one liked it 🤣🤣

Personally speaking, I found it to be snoozefest but thats just me. FilmTwitter has tons of problems towards it for being a movie about racism from White Savior perspective and how this “White Savior” save the Black dude played by Mahershala Ali from racism. They also hated Joker a lot for being a “shallow insight” on class struggle and “Demonization of Mental Illness”.

FYC:
    Best Director: Edgar Wright, Guillermo Del Toro, Jane Campion
    Best Picture: Nightmare Alley, The Power of the Dog
    Best Actress: Kristen Stewart, Thomasin McKenzie, Rooney Mara, Tessa Thompson
    Best Actor: Benedict Cumberbatch, Bradley Cooper
    Best S. Actress: Cate Blanchett, Diana Rigg, Anya Taylor Joy
    Best S. Actor: Kodi Smit McPhee, Willem Dafoe, Richard Jenkins

Profile picture
    Topics:
    This post was found to be inappropriate by the moderators and has been removed.
    Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Personally speaking, I found it to be snoozefest but thats just me. FilmTwitter has tons of problems towards it for being a movie about racism from White Savior perspective and how this “White Savior” save the Black dude played by Mahershala Ali from racism. They also hated Joker a lot for being a “shallow insight” on class struggle and “Demonization of Mental Illness”.

I didn’t like Green Book at all. It’s so mediocre. That film winning BP in a lineup that had Blackkklansman still annoys me. I think it won because it was the safest option.

Profile picture
    UnionCityMood
    Topics:

“But they will probably choose to ignore them in favor of bigger or more popular names.” And then you see Kristen Stewart there, a massive movie star, lol.

Penelope is also a massive star, one of the most famous Spanish actresses. Spencer and Pizza receives top campaign resources just like other “big name” films. Mothers had an amazing start with a Volpi, though Sony kinda screwed it up later. Comer is literally in a $100 million production movie. Tessa’s co star Ruth Negga is getting in most places.

My point is not that these aren’t good performances. But this whole “the academy only goes for bigger names or whoever campaign the most” argument do not stand, like at all.

Profile picture
    Lil Tony
    Topics:

Penélope Cruz isn’t happening. She needed a CC nom so bad. Y’all should move on

Anticipate "Hold My hand".

Lady Gaga is a genius

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Anyone remember the anonymous Oscar voters articles THR publishes every year? Those are always fun to read. I remember one funny one about Meryl Streep (I think it was for August: Osage County).

Profile picture
    The Way of The Wind
    Topics:

Who ever thinks that Being the Ricardos is a good movie, is delusional. Kidman was good at best. Bardem on the other hand was great.

West Side Story is on the rise. Both Zegler and Faist look stronger for each day for that first nom. West Side may score around 13 noms or more.

I think the biggest hurdle for Kristen Stewart is to get a nomination. And if so, Stewart will be the front runner for the win. But if both BTR and The Lost Daughter are nominated for best picture, the voting is going to be a thriller.

2023 Oscar
    Best Picture: The Way of The Wind
    Best Director: Decision to Leave
    Best Actress: TAR
    Best Actor: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actress: The Whale
    Best Supporting Actor: Poor Things

Profile picture
    The Northman
    Topics:

I want to replace someone with Zegler but these are so strong this year:

1. Kidman(won Globe Drama+AACTA)
    2. Gaga (SAG ensemble nom+2 critic awards)
    3. Colman (BAFTAs constant spoiler+ most awards after Stewart this season)
    4. Chastain (5 critics and baity role hitting important precursors)

And then we have Kristen Stewart, remember when nobody expected her to miss SAG, after the industry Spencer shoutout from any given guild, the question is: are the regional critic wins enough for Stewart to score a nom ?

On first glance yes, but look around, Westside Story is looking like a movie to pull 7-8 noms come Oscar morning, Stewart has to fight that appeal of WSS and Zegler as the break-out star of the year.

Then we have previous Oscar winners like Hudson in baity turns or in acclaimed films with big guns  directors like Cruz.

We don’t even mention here the threat of Tragedy of Macbeth overperforming and Frances landing in a last min wild turn a nom.

With all the above, I am gonna make a wild prediction that Stewart may miss the nom, something I personally don’t want to see, but I have been sensing for days.

Profile picture
    LA26
    Topics:

Imagine the chaos if Frances landed a nomination. I loved her performance in TTOM so I won’t complain if that happens.

Profile picture
    BoBo
    Topics:

Zegler getting a nomination for her first film isn’t unheard of for Oscar, but it seems unlikely. I imagine they’ll wait to see how profitable her future projects like Snow White are before giving her such a significant boost this early on in her career. She hasn’t proven herself to be a box-office draw yet, and as much as some don’t want to admit, box office appeal is very important when it comes to Oscar, historically at least.

For instance, I’m convinced Reese Witherspoon, Sandra Bullock, Jennifer Lawrence, and Emma Stone didn’t win Oscars their respective years on their performance alone. Each of their filmographies had already made the industry over a billion dollars by the time they got to the podium. That had to have some influence on voters. I’m sure of it.

Why are you reporting this post? (optional):
    Not now
Viewing 15 posts - 421 through 435 (of 587 total)

The topic ‘Oscars 2022 Predictions: Best Actress (Part 65)’ is closed to new replies.